iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THERE'S A LOG IN MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper, March 20, 2005, 06:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

I was in my sewing room when all of the sudden I here this loud noise coming from the living room.  I thought that I had better go check it out because I wasn't sure where the rest of the family had gone off to.  I come out to the living room and I see this log coming through my back door.  I say what the heck is that and my daughter says to me go back to your sewing room and I will call you out when we are done.  Come to find out stump jumper and the kids had made me a coffee table for the living room for an Easter and Mother's Day gift.  He wants to put drawers in it and use the side panels for the fronts of the drawers. I think it is pretty neat.

Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

sawman

cool table ya got there  8) 8) 8) 8)
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Furby

That's cool! 8) 8) 8)
I've always wanted to make one that looked like a big treasure chest, with a hinged top and carve out the inside.
Just haven't found the right log yet.
What kind of wood is it?

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

It is White Pine.

It is 26" wide, 4' 2'' long and 18' tall.

We just bought some beatiful pine logs not far from the house and were able to haul them ourselves.  The logger loaded them into the trailer for us.
Delcy - Morley, MI

Frank_Pender

What a neat gift idea.  Thank you for sharing.  Ir sure has given me some new ideas, but I am aftraid if I were to bring something like that into the livingroom, I might well be placed inside. 8)
Frank Pender

Stump Jumper

:D :D :D  yeah it does kind of resemble a coffin doesn't it :-X :-X

now my wife is goin to need the new arky super stick just to move the furniture around the house which by the way is on its way 8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Haytrader

Hey Stump,

I have a couch and love seat with the xact same fabric as yours.
I even found some cloth like it on the puter and made some window boxes to match.

Love the table. Gave me ideas.

;)
Haytrader

Corley5

Reminds me of the http://www.legsinn.com/index.html  If you're ever in Cross Village it's definetely worth a visit.  The bar is carved from a white pine log ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tnlogger

stump sure is a nice gift for the mrs. looks like a lot of hand work went into looks great
gene

Furby

Hey ya stump jumper,
Ya wanna clue us in on how ya did such a fine job of cutting the middle out ???
I see chainsaw marks, but that sure must have been some fine cutting to get both sides even like that.

sprucebunny

That's really neat  8)  I want one. I could hide alot of magazines and mess in there  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Patty

Way Cool !!  8)   I am anxious to hear just how you carved out the inside. 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stump Jumper

thanks everyone for your comments  8)

lets see if i can explain put the log on the sawmill first cut the top roll it 180 and  cut the bottom so the flats are paralel .now i took the side cover off my chainsaw and made a bracket to fit in its place and stick out 3" away from the bar&chain bolted on a piece of angle to run paralel to the bar the full length for a guide to follow the flats of the log.stand the log on end and cut the long sides first then lay the log down and bore cut the ends .i did this part by eye could have done better with a longer bar its 24" and the log is 26 .hope this helps ill try to get a pic of my guide.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

GF

Sure would hate to run into that in the dark, cool table.

sigidi

That is a ripper table ya made there stump_Jumper must have given the Missus a big fright seeing it coimng through the door ;D :D ;D :D
Always willing to help - Allan

Stump Jumper

almost forgot after cutting mid section out i put it on the mill and cut the slabs off for drawer fronts.now i gotta figure out how to make drawers and tracks  ???
Jeff
May God Bless.

Stump Jumper

here's the pic of the chainsaw guidebar that i made

Jeff
May God Bless.

Furby

You can buy different types of drawer slides and glides. Some can be used under a drawer rather then alongside.

The old kitchen cabinets of my house were built in place from V groove, T&G pine. All drawer glides as well as the sliding shelves were made useing pieces of T&G as the glides.

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

I now have a question? ???  What would be a good sealer to put on the top of this table??  It will be used as a checkerboard and game table and also as a coffee table.

Any suggestions maybe something to give it a deep clear shiny look.  Here is are some pics on how the top is shaping up.

Thanks for any information.
Delcy - Morley, MI

sprucebunny

My suggestion for a finish would be UV protected varnish>exterior  or polyurathane , also exterior.
You will need a thinned ( 30-50%) sealer coat first and after light sanding 2-3 more coats and it will be very tough.
Either finish will darken the wood slightly. There are some absolutly clear acrylic sealers but I haven't found an easy finish that doesn't darken slightly.

It's gonna be great  8)  Do you have a cribbage board on there , too ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Mrs_Stump_Jumper
If mine, I would put on a 2-part epoxy pour on finish. I used it on a maple slab on my bar, and it has held up well over the years. It gives with the wood, and has stayed plyable enough to not crack.

Here is just one site I found, that helps explain what it is.

http://woodworkstuff.net/EpoxyPour1.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

What a cunning way to make a checker/chess board.. Never would have thought of that.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Furby

Ernie,
Have you seen Jeff's?
There is a pic around here someplace....................

Ah, found it:

A thread:Link
And another one worth reading: Link

I actually would like one of each.  ;D

Ernie

Here's a chess board that I  made a few years ago when I only had the C'saw mill.

The woods are New Zealand Kauri and Tasmanian Blackwood

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Stump Jumper

VERY NICE Ernie   8) i just burned my squares in with a heated up piece of steel .
   what may i ask is a csaw mill
Jeff
May God Bless.

Thank You Sponsors!