iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor colours.

Started by asy, March 20, 2005, 06:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Hi all!

Well, Andrew and I have been having some 'discussions' regarding the colour of MY (well, ok, his) Tractor.

Mind you we haven't got it yet, coz we don't get posession of the farm for another 3 weeks or so...

But I am the plannin' type.

Here's a photo of Fergus the tractor:

Now, it's old and hackey, but it's ours (nearly).

BUT!!!

I want to repaint it, coz it's sad and icky. It's all scratched and a rather unhappy looking.

The people who own it now have painted bits of it. But I want to paint it PURPLE (or light blue). Maybe with sparkley paint.

Andrew tells me it's sacriligeous to paint a tractor in anything other than it's company livery.

Come on guys, Tell him it's OK to paint a tractor!!!

Oh, and, would also appreciate someone identifying the tractor for me! A friend told us it's a Massey Ferguson (hence it's name) but I'd be interested to know. (Maybe we have to rename it!)

ta.

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

EZ

I'd say what ever color is your favorite and Andrews, mix them together and there you go.
So tractors over there has to have license on them.
EZ

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

I think you should go with John Deere Green. :D :D :D :D
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Roxie

Asy, I gotta go with Andy on this one.  Last year at an antique tractor pull, a contestant showed up with her John Deere 730 painted fuschia.  It was a sacrilege that I couldnt' look upon.  There wasn't a tractor enthusiast at the show that couldn't wait for her to leave.   :D
Say when

asy

Quote from: EZ on March 20, 2005, 06:37:53 PM
I'd say what ever color is your favorite and Andrews, mix them together and there you go.
So tractors over there has to have license on them.
EZ

Good idea...

Tractors here need licenses if you want to drive them on the roads.

You can get away with driving on your road if your property is on both sides, but not otherwise.

I think this one is registered coz he loans it to his brother who lives some miles away, and they drive it there.

The change in registration comes with the tractor, but I don't know if we'll bother to keep the registration up, we haven't talked about it yet...  :D

Quote from: Roxie on March 20, 2005, 07:08:29 PM
Asy, I gotta go with Andy on this one.  Last year at an antique tractor pull, a contestant showed up with her John Deere 730 painted fuschia.  It was a sacrilege that I couldnt' look upon.  There wasn't a tractor enthusiast at the show that couldn't wait for her to leave.   :D

Gee...  I thought you'd go with me on the colours...    :(

Does this mean I can't paint the Backhoe pink???   Sheesh...

I will wait to find out what brand of tractor this is and maybe research what colours it came in originally then maybe paint it in original colours...

What kind of paint would you guys use on a tractor?

Tom

That sure looks like a Massey Ferguson to me.

A friend of mine has a Ford 3000 that his wife has taken over.  It is painted Hot Pink and trimmed in blue.  She uses it mostly to mow the farm roads and some of the fields.  It looks sharp.  He is a retired Auto Salesmen with contacts and it is professionally done.  Her name is written on the side of the hood in script.

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Tractor companies have their own paint that they sell.  Any of the tractor dealers should carry the paint that you need.

My dad always painted any piece of equipment he got John Deere green even if it wasn't a piece of John Deere equipment.  He would go as far as to paint John Deere on the equipment in yellow with a stencil. :D :D
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

asy

Quote from: Mrs._Stump_Jumper on March 20, 2005, 07:45:56 PM
Tractor companies have their own paint that they sell.  Any of the tractor dealers should carry the paint that you need.

My dad always painted any piece of equipment he got John Deere green even if it wasn't a piece of John Deere equipment.  He would go as far as to paint John Deere on the equipment in yellow with a stencil. :D :D

hehe, I think John Deere would get cross if I painted that tractor and put their name on it... 

Not sure they'd want to own up to it, it ain't so flash..  lol

Thanks for the hint on the paint!

Quote from: Tom on March 20, 2005, 07:41:35 PM
That sure looks like a Massey Ferguson to me.

A friend of mine has a Ford 3000 that his wife has taken over. It is painted Hot Pink and trimmed in blue. She uses it mostly to mow the farm roads and some of the fields. It looks sharp. He is a retired Auto Salesmen with contacts and it is professionally done. Her name is written on the side of the hood in script.

Oooh, Hot pink with blue trim...  niiiiice...

I was going to write "Fergus" on the side, as it's the tractor's name... 

Fraxinus

Well, it already looks like it's the wrong color so you ain't gonna hurt it much.  Hey, it's yours so do what you want with it.  Why doncha make it like a rainbow? :)
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

DanG

It don't look "hackey" to me.  Look's like a pretty solid ol' tractor with a lot of work left in it.  Unless you're restoring it to take to shows, etc, you should paint it however you want.  Personally, I think it look's fine like it is.  Tractors ain't meant to be pretty, they're made to do work.  Once you learn to use it to advantage, it will make things possible that were not, before.  Save the paint money to fix things when they break.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fraxinus

Hey DanG, I see where our buddy Bo Gritz got arrested yesterday.  Protesting about that lady that's being starved to death down your way.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Corley5

Looks kinda like a MF 35 to me but has little different grill on it.http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=97644&query=retrieval  Is it gas or diesel ???  I saw a JD B painted like a Farmall once and a Farmall H painted like a JD.  Thought it was sacreligious on both accounts ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Errr....Who is Bo Gritz?  Guess I missed somethin'.  

I got my thoughts about that situation, but I can't make up my mind what they are.  I've looked and listened, and all I can see is a "lose, lose" situation for everybody involved. :'(

I don't want to open a can of worms.  They'll escape soon enough without our help.

Who is Bo Gritz, anyway? :P

Yeah, Greg.  I'm thinkin' it's a 35 also.  Good solid little tractor that will do a heap of work. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don_Papenburg

It could be a Ferguson ,like a TO30  . or a massy hassis  it would be red with wheat yellow wheels under that dime store green. If a massy Ferguson it would be red with silver wheels and a silver engine.
John Deere would paint tractor special colors for customers. I have seen gold yellow orange red and pink . the pink one was a 4440 with a cab . The lady that bought it would not accept any other color . She said that she didn't want her husband to drive her tractor.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DanG

:D :D :D  I guess she didn't have to worry about it, did she? ::)

asy

Quote from: Corley5 on March 20, 2005, 08:52:31 PM
Looks kinda like a MF 35 to me but has little different grill on it.
Is it gas or diesel ???

Thanks HEAPS...   

Love the fact that it's listed on an 'Antique Tractor' page...  lol 

The current owner is a Boilermaker by trade, and part of the contract for the farm is all the machinery and all the tools in his toolshed go with it. However, we suspect the good tools have already been picked over by his mates...   >:(  For example, I didn't see a welder in there...   A boilermaker without  a welder???

Oh well, will mean Andrew can go tool-shopping. Don't think he's disappointed about that...  :o

Still, the owner has fashioned many bits and pieces and made up stuff as he's needed it, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has put a differrent grill onto it.

Not sure if it's Gas or Deisel, I "think" it's Deisel... 

Quote from: DanG on March 20, 2005, 08:55:51 PM
Yeah, Greg. I'm thinkin' it's a 35 also. Good solid little tractor that will do a heap of work. :)

It does look a good little work horse!!!

I didn't mean 'hackey' from a work point of view, more from a paint point of view.

Maybe I'll paint all those spare canvasses I have around the place, since I'll FINALLY have a studio at the farm, before I worry about the tractor...  lol

What are your thoughts on a roll cage for the tractor???

Oh, and, has anyone heard of or seen these:

http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1315421.htm .

It's a device that  cuts the tractor's power if something gets caught in the PTO.

I am interested in these because we will be using the tractor to make quite a number of  fence post holes and I was wondering whether you guys thought it might be a good idea.

Oh, and, Thanks heaps for the model number, I'll go looking for manuals now...  (any ideas?)

asy :D :D :D

Haytrader

Haytrader

Corley5

asy

Quote from: Corley5 on March 20, 2005, 09:47:54 PM
That's a 1960 MF 35 ;) ;D

Wowwee!!!  1960 !!!

The tractor's older than me AND my daughter, added together!!!   hehehe

Well, if Massey Colours are Red, I can deal with that, maybe I'll restore it to it's original colours and relieve it of the drab green...    :D

thanks heaps again guys!

DanG

I wouldn't order any manuals until I found out exactly what it is.  The real expertise in this area can be found at  www.ytmag.com  They have a feature where you can enter the serial # and it will tell you the exact model and year.  They also have a forum specifically about this brand of tractor, and those guys can tell ya the thread pitch of the starter bolts.  They might laugh at the paint job a bit, but they're about as willing to help as the guys here are.  I'd trust the info there better than that from the manufacturer. :)

It would be a good idea to install a ROPS (Roll-Over Protection System).  The less experience you have on a tractor, the more important this becomes.  Tractors have ways of upsetting themselves that the novice would never even dream of, and you don't want to be under an up-side-down tractor.  PTO-related accidents are way down, these days. I attribute that to the plastic sleeves that are standard on PTO shafts these days.  Don't operate without them.  Keep in mind that none of these safety features are a replacement for good ol' common sense.  Try not to flip the tractor even if it has a roll bar, and don't stick your shirttail in the PTO shaft, even if it has a sleeve on it.  Don't be afraid of your tractor, but respect it.

Tom

Massey Ferguson Red        Rustoleum H-19 (Matches H-21 Ford Red)
Massey Ferguson Yellow    Rustoleum #659 Rustoleum H-18
Ferguson Gray                  Rustoleum #975  Rustoleum Navy Gray (matches H-7)

Found this site with tractor colors

Corley5

The serial number tag should be on or around the dash samewhere.  Post it and I can tell you what year and model it is 8)  The MF 35 were made from 1960 to 63 and the 35 Deluxe was made from 63-64.  If it's a Ferguson TO 35 it was made from 55-59.  Both were available as gas or diesels.

asy

Quote from: Corley5 on March 20, 2005, 10:20:08 PM
The serial number tag should be on or around the dash samewhere.  Post it and I can tell you what year and model it is 8)  The MF 35 were made from 1960 to 63 and the 35 Deluxe was made from 63-64.  If it's a Ferguson TO 35 it was made from 55-59.  Both were available as gas or diesels.

Fantastic, I'll make sure to take a photo when we are next up there in a couple of weeks.

thanks again guys, you are too cool!!!   8) 8) 8)

Haytrader

Gul durnit Corley,

Try to pull a trick and you spot it right away.
>:(
I have the Yesterday site in me favorites.... ;D
I bought a 35 at an auction for my brother. He has a bucket truck and does painting and tree trimming with it. He uses the Massey to get into yards and grapples the brush. Tough little tractor.
Haytrader

Corley5

I'd like a 35 too.  My Grandpa bought one new with a 3pt disc and 3 bottom plow.  He traded it in on a Ferguson 40 when they came out.  It was traded on the MF 180 we've got now.  I'd love to be able find the originals

Paul_H

My vote is for MF35 too. I traded my dirt bike straight across for this one a few years ago.It has a Perkins diesel that runs like a top.We use it for tilling and disking out the back and have used it a little bit to load small logs,but it is light on the back end.
The loader is a "Superior" and I don't know how old it is but it seems to suit the tractor. I would like to find a grill for the MF one day.

The last pic is of the disk.A farmer was clearing his place a couple years ago and told us to come and get it before he scrapped it.It belonged to his Dad but I don't know how old it is either.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mark M

How about this one? It's a JD 59 7/8

etat

I reckon I need to do something to adjust the colors on my computer.   My colors are all messed up cause I swear, I almost thought I just saw a RED John Deere.  ???
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

asy

Quote from: DanG on March 20, 2005, 10:03:31 PM
It would be a good idea to install a ROPS (Roll-Over Protection System).  The less experience you have on a tractor, the more important this becomes.  Tractors have ways of upsetting themselves that the novice would never even dream of, and you don't want to be under an up-side-down tractor.

I am trying to search for where I can buy one, just to get an idea of prices, but when I googled it, I get hundreds of government websites, but none from suppliers, will keep looking. I agree that this is very important, especially since it's quite likey that the kids will be driving the tractor in the not too distant future.

Hmmm...  With the slope of the yard it may also be an idea to put an ROPS on the ride-on...

Quote from: DanG on March 20, 2005, 10:03:31 PMDon't be afraid of your tractor, but respect it.

Good advice. Thanks.

Quote from: cktate on March 21, 2005, 06:19:09 PM
I reckon I need to do something to adjust the colors on my computer. My colors are all messed up cause I swear, I almost thought I just saw a RED John Deere. ???

They painted the tractor red to detract attention from that HAT!!!!!

tnlogger

now i'ves seen green and yellow, and even brownish rust ones but this sure is the first time i ever seen a red JD  :D :D :D :D :D :D
gene

Weekend_Sawyer

I say paint your tractor the color you want it. If you ever get rid of it it will sell better with original colors. But who ever gets rid of a tractor!

Important safety tip, if you are going to pull something or skid a log leave an implement hooked up like a back blade or box scraper, that way if it comes up in the front the implement will act like a wheele bar, now it still could break something and go over but this adds alot of safety.

Oh yea, I would run it for a while the way it is. That way you can see if there is anything that needs to be repaired, seals, brakes, radiator whatever and you can do it while you have it torn down for paint. Might save you having to scratch up nice new paint to do repairs.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Engineer

Nicest tractor I ever saw was a mint-out-of-the-showroom condition, 1950 John Deere (I dunno what model), propane-powered.  The guy was competing in an antique tractor pull.

I am just starting to get into antique tractors and single cylinder gas engines.  Fascinating stuff.  My current machine is a four-year-old JD 4100, so I don't have an antique yet, but I'm working on it. 

My vote is to paint it whatever color you fancy.  I am part of an old woodworking machinery group and my vote there is the same thing - paint it what suits ya.

Jon

asy

I really liked the photos of the original Red with Yellow Wheels, so, once we determine that it runs fine (thankd for that tip W-S) I think I'll paint it those colours. Thanks also for the colour details Tom!

I believe it to be in excellent condition though, as this guy does all the maintenance himself.

I will have to look for a decent chair, though, as the one that's on it now is a plastic school classroom chair screwed on...  Don't think I could sit on that for any time!

As I said before, the Roll Cage will be a priority, if not for anything else, then for somewhere I can make a shade canopy from! hehe

etat

I wish I was closer asy, I'd BUILD ya a rop.  Stay tuned for pictures of mine I built for my 3020 JD.  I built it a few years ago.  Ain't postin a picture of it til I get it painted though. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

asy

Oooooh!!!

Yes please, I love photos!!!!

Fast please!

DanG

You'll probably have to have a rops built for it.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just strong.

There's an outfit that makes aftermarket parts that are like the originals. I'll hafta plunder through my junk to get the name. Paul, I'm sure they would have a grill for ya.  They got original seats and steering wheels, too. :)

I think I'm in the wrong business.  I should be going to the midwest and New England and buying old tractors. They go for a mint down here.  Today, I saw a Ford 8-N with a box blade advertised for $4400! :o :o  In the same paper there was a Yanmar FOR PARTS that they want $3000 for!

Corley5

http://www.kingauctionservice.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=events.eventDetail&id=17

Last year this was definetly a buyer's auction.  Dad and I are hoping to be there on Friday afternoon and will be there for sure on Saturday.  Last year a Cockshutt 40 follwed us home.  On second thought everybody stay away from this sale it's no good, prices are way too high ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 

etat

DanG, the price has done dropped lots in the last few years on them little ford tractors around here.  There's a guy just down the road that imports them little orange foreign tractors straight from overseas and then distributes them to dealerships across the US.  He's been doing it for years and has got a heck of a pretty good business going.  But them pretty little tractors with their power steering and loaders or whatever has just about cut the price of them fords in half or less of what they used to be.

Paul_H

DanG,

If you come across that name for the after market parts I would sure like to see what they have.There is no padding on the seat so I end up putting my shirt down if it's cold or wet out.When I was out there today I found one coat and a couple shirts hanging off the tractor.

Was wondering where they got to  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ianab

Spent a lot of time in my youth driving those old fergies  :)

Neighbour had petrol 19 and 24 if I remember right, and we had a 35x.
The 35 x was just a bad idea gone wrong  :o

It had a little lever on the dash that would change you down one gear by flicking it down. OK, that was good when you were going up a hill pulling a load. But the lower gear was a FREEWHEELING one  :o So if you started down the other side of the hill without flicking it up.. you were in NEUTRAL. Lots of fun  :D Did i mention that a lot of Taranaki farms aren't exactly flat?

Have to say I liked the International tractors that we had of the same vintage better. They seemed more clunky, lots more travel in the grear lever and pedals, but more positive if you know what I mean. When you pushed in the clutch pedal it went about 12 inches and you KNEW it was dis-engaged  ;)

Oh.. and I second the Rops thing, I never came really close to rolling a tractor, but mostly cos I learned to drive on hills and was carefull. Our 35x did have a basic cab / rops but mostly it kept the rain off. You probably wont be able to buy a factory roll bar for the older model, but the local farm engineering shop should be able to build you one. It wont have a Standards sticker on it, but get him to build it to current standards. As the tractor wont be legally required to have ROPS you dont need to get it certified or anything, just get it built and attached properly for your own peace of mind.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

asy

Thanks for that Ian!

The ROPS is essential as far as I am concerned. None of us have ever driven a tractor before (you can all stop laughing now)... 

The ground is hilly, and the soil is deep.

I can see it won't be long at all before Sasha (11yo) is up and driving the tractor, and if nothing else, that makes it essential.

CK, photos!!!  hehehe

redpowerd

QuoteOh.. and I second the Rops thing, I never came really close to rolling a tractor
i dont think one comes "close" to rolling a tractor. from what ive read and heard from people that have rolled tractors, it happens so fast you aint got time to move nowhere. a close call would be breaking your kneck or being paralized, compared to busting a leg. ive had my little 684 into some pretty aqward positions.

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

slowzuki

Thats a nice looking 684.  We use a 584 of the same vintage and setup only with a Laurin rops cab on it.  Can't seem to get it into tricky spots, as soon as it goes a bit nose down the power steering and hydraulics quit.  We have it about an inch overfilled on the dipstick and that helps but not a lot.

I consider a rops essential on a working tractor, I've never known anyone who was in a rollover accident that thought the machine would rollover.

http://www.me.psu.edu/sommer/projects/tractorFY1/

New Holland TN65 rollover videos, a real eye opener to what a little bump can do.

redpowerd

the little one in the middle there has a hat along with the rops. someday ill put a folding rops on the front wheel assist. i got the 684 with the hat hung up in the woods all the time, one thing it steers a bit tighter than the 4x4. yours may need a new pump, you can shim the valve in the one you have now with some spark plug washers. helps out a bit. rebuilt pumps are 300 bucks. cessna or plessey.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

bioguy

Hiya asy - My vote goes to painting whatever color strikes your fancy. I am  repainting my NAA Ford from its current blue to red. I don't know who painted it blue, but it is a terrible color and I can see the red undermneath when it gets nicked.

The red I use for my Fords is IH red. I love that shade. Seems to hold the red color a lot longer than the orange-red Ford paint. What do you think Redpowerd? Good choice?

I think I need to get a digital camera. Can I post pics from my 35mm?
bioguy

Mark M

Asy you should get 2 of those and hook em together:

Or heck, why got get three!

Corley5

Mark, looks like you were at Rollag 8)  I like that Ollie 88 setup 8) 8)

Mark M

Yup! - That 830 triple is the one I can't believe, it looks like it is a new factory model. There are a bunch of combo tractors at Rolaag that are fun to see.

redpowerd

thats pretty cool, never heard of rollag.
got any red ones? ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

asy

Quote from: bioguy on March 22, 2005, 08:52:32 AM
I think I need to get a digital camera. Can I post pics from my 35mm?

Sure you can, just scan them then post!!!

Thanks again guys, goes to show you really are a wealth of knowledge!

Mark M

This one isn't that great, he was moving too fast for me!

Here is a link Red: Rollag

And some pictures I took of some sawmill stuff there Rollag Jammer and
Briden Sawmil

This is something you outta try to see!

redpowerd

and the one in the back aint even runnin :o :D :D

thanks for el linko
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

asy

What about an ROPS on the Ride-on mower?

How easy are they to roll???

Thank goodness at least the backhoe is OK! lol

Thank You Sponsors!