iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food stuff

Started by Ernie, March 18, 2005, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I liked this one,  Seems to be typical of the young girls of the junk food generation who never learned how to cook.

At least she tried :D :D :D

Potatoes

Every morning during our coffee break, my co-workers and I listened to
the culinary disasters of a newlywed colleague. We then tried to share
some helpful hints and recipes.

One day she asked us for step-by-step instructions on cooking sweet
potatoes, one of her husband's favorites. "I've finally been able to
make them sweet," she said, "but how do you make them orange?"

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Roxie

I had a teenage neighbor girl call me one night to ask my help making grilled cheese sandwiches.  I kept telling her how to do it, and she insisted that it was burning, so I went over.  She was putting the two slices of bread side by side in the pan, and the cheese on the far side.  Directly on the pan!   :D :D :D 
Say when

etat

My wife Kim of many many years bless her heart didn't' have a clue about cooking when we got married.  Her first version  of biscuits were concocted of flour and water, no other ingredients.  Big healthy biscuits, hard as concrete, not kidding. I'm pretty sure they're still buried, that's the best way the dog figured out how to get rid of em.  The very first day we were  married she left the coffee pot on the stove  and melted that aluminum pot all over the electric stove eye.  I STILL remind her of it sometimes but I always make sure I'm in a position to duck! ;D

We managed to survive it though and she's a pretty dang good cook now.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Patty

My cooking skills are well known through the family and pretty much all of Iowa...guess now you know why Norm does all the cooking!  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

LIL

Thanks Patty

Just reading your post and in this household Ian does most of the cooking also.  However tonight we are having a roast - and its still in the freezer - you just reminded me to get it out!!!! :D

I'll have a turn cooking tonight. ;)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Bibbyman

Mary does the cooking at our house.  Not that I can't – when I need to. ;)

She learned to cook from her mother.  Her mother,  taking care of a large farm family,  always cooked big, full meals, every meal.

Unfortunately,  Mary sometimes cooks with that same scale.  I'll come home and she'll have a whole turkey cooked with a lot of the side dishes – just for the two of us. :o

When she makes cookies,  she'll make 12 dozen.  Then a couple of weeks later I'll say "I'd sure be nice to have some fresh baked cookies." And she'll huff,  "Well,  you didn't eat all the LAST batch I made!"   HOW COULD I!   I end up taking a dozen or so to work each day and giving them out to friends.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

In Mary's defence, it is very hard to scale down when you cook.  I wouldn't know how to make a batch of potato salad that wasn't a minimum of five pounds!   :D
Say when

Quartlow

Mar couldn't cookeither when we got married  :D Thank god I could!!!  8) But it was her mothers fault, she never let the girls in the kitchen growing up, her mother had hte attitude that you can't do that and it shows in her sisters. all of them with the exception of Mar think hot dogs and mac and cheese is dinner  :( :( :( :( I had the hardest time convincing her to buy quality meats and other foodstuff as opposed to generic. used to drive me up the wall.

Her cooking these days? DanG GOOD!!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) man can that girl bake, in fact tonight I'm stuck with homemade bread for my hot sausage, isnt' that just terrible  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ianab

QuoteI'll have a turn cooking tonight

Pleased to report that Lil's roast beef, spuds and kumera were very nice  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

populus

OK, Ian. You need to translate for us - What's kumera? 

Hey, Jeff. Maybe we need an online translator Kiwi-English and English-Kiwi!

old3dogg

Im pretty lucky. My wife, my son and myself are pretty good cooks. We take turns in the kitchen.
I feel bad for my daughters future husband. The poor girl can burn water!

Ernie

Populus

Kumera is a like sweet potato, it comes with a purple skin, is very hard with a whitish flesh that has a few purple flecks and is delicious.  They also sell other things that are billed as kumera but are more like sweet poataoes as you know them , one with yellow flesh and one with orange.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

sigidi

Round here Wifey does all the cookin, 'cause she is just too good (testified by my 220+ lbs) me I can manage, but I guess I'm just too *DanG lazy ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

asy

I do all the cooking at home too...   

And it shows... 

I won't post photos of us, coz they wouldn't fit on the screen  :o

Andrew's favourite is my Roast Lamb Shanks in tomatoe and onion, with roast veg..   Mmmmm mmm

I just love cooking and have the same problem as a few others here, volumitis (making too much)...  Still, makes for good lunches...

I am teaching my kids to cook, they take turns helping me with dinner.

Stephie, at (nearly) 9 can make a simple dinner of sausages and veg, or mash taters or such all on her own. Sasha is still learning, coz he just got interested, I didn't push it with him...

They usually make a batch of muffins in a week and take them to school for morning tea, one a day.

Hey Roxy, I love potato Salad...   Will make sure we time the visit to the USA with a batch! hehe

I have a fantastic Russian Vinaigrette salad that was my grandmothers recipe, and I have friends trained that when they come for BBQ's they bring a container to take leftovers home... Well, didn't take much training, they just all started turning up with them! hehe

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Engineer

I told my wife that I didn't care if she could cook, 'cuz I can.   ;D

She's not bad of a cook, really good at baked stuff and pies/cakes, but I do all the meats and breads and big meals. 

My kids often comment that when they go to friends' houses, they don't eat nearly at well as at home.   Good thing they are skinny, 'cause I ain't.

My favorite meals to prepare (and eat) are meat lasagna, chicken marsala, bbq ribs and my own smoked pepper pastrami.  I gotta be one of the half-dozen people in New England who knows how to do real BBQ.

Jon

Roxie

Any time you want to stop by for potatoe salad, just come on!   :D
Say when

old3dogg

Asy,
That darn cat looks like the new cat that I have.His name is Mo and his story is pretty sad but he sure is a spoiled brat cat now!

I cook all of the pasta dishes and most of the stuff outside on the grill. Calvin, my son, does most of the chicken dishes.He makes chicken taste better than steak! Darn kid is gonna make a good living out of cooking someday!

Dawn, my wife, is pretty darn good at cooking anything.She makes one of the best meat loafs of all time.Replace the bread crumbs with a couple of cans of pork and beans! trust me on this!

My daughter Jerrica likes what ever her best friend this week may be eating. If it isnt easy mac out of the microwave and hot dogs than she really doesnt care.Poor kid had better get some better friends or miss out on a lot of good eating!!!

asy

Quote from: Roxie on March 19, 2005, 06:00:55 PM
Any time you want to stop by for potatoe salad, just come on!   :D

Careful what you offer...   hehehe

We usually have either Lasagne or Spagbol one night a week, both of which Stephanie can cook almost on her own.

Usually one night I make fried mince with onions, and turn it into pasties by putting it in flake pastry and cooking it. But when I do that, I make enough mince that another night I throw a tin of tomato soup into it and turn it into lasagne, its darn good.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

hiya

Cooking is one thing my wife was-is good at. Her mother could cook,my mother could cook, and my wife learned from both. When we were first married we were in Fla. working at a nursrey for field workers. My wife did the cooging, sometimes for 50 children + help.
I can cook too. Cooked sunday dinner after church as a teen. When I started dating I went to her place, They had to get dinner themselves at home ::)
Richard

RichardinMd.

Thank You Sponsors!