iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bow up or down or ??

Started by Randy, March 17, 2005, 09:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Lets say I just loaded a log on the mill that has a 6" or less bow in it-----which way would you Sawyers position the bow to start with? I was wondering if it makes a difference!! Randy

Frank_Pender

With my Mobile Dimension mills, I always place the log so that the inside of the bow is turned to the left of where I stand to operate the mill.  This way, when the boards come off the log they are bowed in a direction that makes it easy to shape the lumber in the drying process.
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

On a bandmill with a horizontal blade,  I put the crook up - unless there is some other overriding reason.

Here is a link to the Knowledge base that has some diagrams and words, etc.

Click here => Placing log on mill to deal with taper and crook
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

I normally put the "ears" up, unless it is extremely crooked, then sometimes it sits too far down between the bed standards.   

Franks responce seems logical in that if the log has stress that caused the crook, then it will likely remain more flat during drying, but a pain to joint. 

Of course, I can't tell you how many dry boards I've put back on my wm to rough join before running over the jointer.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Back40x2

Depending on the degree of bow, not to exceed 34 inches from butt to top, I lay it on its side and cut into flitches.  Good market for curved wood.   ;) ;)  I do alot of brown ash and cedar this way. 

If you need to cut the one crooked log to make boards, I would just go get another log, and decide what to do with later before even putting up on the mill.
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!