iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Escape From the Cold

Started by Kirk_Allen, March 15, 2005, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

It's one of those "created" developments, I think.  Out by De Funiak Springs somewhere.

DanG

Well, I hope Kirk found Darlington.  Tom gave me his cell # and I called him.  He had a few minutes to spare, so he stopped by for a brief visit. ;D :) ;D :) 8)  I can only repeat what others have said; What a nice guy!! :) 

I had about 45 min. notice before his arrival, so I ran out and persuaded the Hootiemobile to load us a log onto the mill.  Hustled around and got everything ready, so we'd have time to saw up the log.  Just as I got everything in place, he was here.  After a few minutes of the usual polite greetings, we fired up the mill and got down to business.  I opened the log and made the first few cuts, then turned it over to Kirk.  Even though he had never even seen a multiblade mill before, he was able to saw out some really nice pine boards, after just watching for a few minutes.  We shut the mill down after that one log, so we could have a little visiting time.  Once he learned that his destination was in the other time zone, we had a little extra time to spend.  We used that to have a little walking tour of my place and to look at some types of lumber that he doesn't get to see up there where he comes from.  I think he likes the sweet gum. ;D

When the time came that he just had to get on the road, I asked him where Darlington was, as it wasn't on the map.  "It's on my map," said he.  He pulled out his atlas, and, sure enough, it wasn't there!  Gee, I hope he found it! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MULE_MAN

Well DanG it sounds like you & Tom have done a good job of taking
care of Kirk while he's on the road. I'm sure he enjoy the time he got to
spend with both of you . I think both of guys are pretty good Ole boys
for doing that !  8)  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

DanG

Credit Tom with that.  He fed and housed him and didn't make him work.  I worked him for 'most an hour and sent him packing. ;D :D :D :D

Linda did feel sorry for him, and gave him a cup of coffee, though.

About this cold thing....I was bundled up in a flannel shirt and field jacket, and Kirk dismounted from his truck in a t-shirt.  He ribbed me just a little about it. :-[  Then, while I was getting the saw adjusted to the log, he quietly  slipped over to the truck and donned a Carhaart. :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

That's  a pic of Kirk making some serious sawdust.

DanG

MULE_MAN

Good job on the picture's DanG  8)  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Riles

Huh. Now you got me scratching my head. This is my neck of the woods, and I know I've heard of it, but DanG if I know where. Gotta be close to the Alabama line if it's near DeFuniak.

Can't keep scratchin' like this. I don't have enough hair as it is.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Roxie

I'm beginning to believe that living near the panhandle causes hair loss!  :D
Say when

DanG

I resemble that, Roxie! :D :D :D

Riles, where ya at, buddy?  Kirk said it was North of Defuniak on hwy 83, I think.  It wasn't on his atlas map, but he said it was on the big one.

Met with another Panhandle sawyer today.  I'll start a new thread for that one. :)

Riles

Living in Shalimar this time, part of Greater Metropolitan Ft Walton Beach. Just finished up my 20 years with Uncle Sam. Had three tours here flying gunships for a total of 15 years (well, my house was here for 15  years, I was usually someplace else). Spent many hours orbiting overhead L.A. (Lower Alabama), which is why Darlington seems to jiggle in the back of my mind.

Just have a little time left here, which is strange. This is the longest I've ever lived in one place, even if it was off and on over the last twenty. The wife has two years to go on her career before we retire to the farm in NC. We're headed to LA (Louisiana) later this spring.

Beauty of the FF is that it doesn't make any difference where you live...

DanG

Welcome to the Forum, Riles.  There are several other airplane drivers on here, including me.  Well, I guess I'm definitely and EX-pilot, since I haven't flown since 1969.  We probably got enough to start our own little Air Force, but all of us are too pore to buy the DanG gas! :'(

Hey, if y'all get the urge for a little day trip, I'm only about 2 hrs away from ya. ;D

DanG

We ain't heard from Kirk, yet.  Wonder if he's still wanderin' around looking for Darlington? :D :D :D

asy

Quote from: DanG on March 20, 2005, 12:08:05 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Riles.  There are several other airplane drivers on here, including me.  Well, I guess I'm definitely and EX-pilot, since I haven't flown since 1969.  We probably got enough to start our own little Air Force, but all of us are too pore to buy the DanG gas! :'(

Hey, if y'all get the urge for a little day trip, I'm only about 2 hrs away from ya. ;D

Look out Riles, He'll have ya workin on his mill!!!
(Rumour has it there's also coffee and chatting involved though)

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Riles

I may have to take him up on it. I just put 6000 trees on the farm in NC, be nice to see what the far end of the deal looks like. I've been toying with the idea of getting a mill, but I don't think there's enough standing timber on the farm right now to justify the purchase.

DanG, just for the sake of accuracy I have to say that I was a navigator and not a pilot. Back seat driving, so to speak.

Besides tree farming, I'm considering furniture making, gardening, running a landscape nursery, and being a consulting forester for a living. I just can't decide what I want to be when I grow up.

DanG

Well, there ya go!  Just don't grow up, and ya won't hafta worry about it. ;D ;D 

Hey, navigatin' is the hard part of flyin', anyway.  I never flew anything big enough to have a special guy for that chore.  Hadta do it all myself, or delegate it to my "Peter Pilot."  That was usually a risky proposition. :D :D

Y'all come on over anytime. I'd love to meet ya, and get some free lab....er, I mean, visitin' in. ;D

Kirk_Allen

Well I made it back home this weekend and have to say if any of you get the bug going around I feel for you.  Things got worse for me after Darlington. Been down practically all week.  Driving didnt help much but I can type some today!

Tom, Thanks for everything.  I really enjoyed the visit and look forward to doing it agian sometime, except without the cold ;D 

DanG, Looks like I got to set the record straight.  I only put that there coat on to keep the sawdust off of me ;D  I appreciate the hospitality.  Wish I had more time but you know how road trips can be.  Thanks for letting me try the MD mill.  Quite impressive............................and SIMPLE!  Even I could run it :D

I did find Darlington.  It is off of state road 181 up near the AL boarder.  It was 32 miles southwest of Fort Rucker, or Enterprise.  I stayed up there as it was the closest hotel without going south of I10. 

VERY SMALL PLACE, but the fire department there covers quite an earea. 

Thank You Sponsors!