iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board feet spread sheets

Started by Tony, March 15, 2005, 08:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

8) 8) Hello FF, been eavesdropping for awhile.
Got a silly newbie question, are there any spread sheets out there that show the bdft of the most common lumber sizes or cuts? Seems like I spend alot of time at the end of a milling job [ tired] with a calculater. Thanks in advance, more silly questions later. 1st post please be gentle.
                                                                Tony smiley_wavy
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!

Well,  I think I know what you are asking for .... Something like and Excel spreadsheet with board feet tables on them?  Don't know of any.  Guess it wouldn't be too hard to make one up. 

You could check under the "Forum Extras" up in the upper right of this page.  Under it a "Toolbox" with all kinds of calculators.

You'll probably find a number of ways to shortcut your counting anyway.

When we're sawing we generraly saw mostly the same stuff - Like - 8' 1x6s or 5/4 walnut x 8' foot.  Well put this lumber in a stack and then count/measure the stack. 

Mary has a marker board in the sawshed with how many board feet are in a bundle of 5/4 walnut so long x 40" wide by so many layers.   

Same with our fencing lumber – so many boards wide x length x number of layers = bf in bundle.

Lot of times when we got a bunch of odd stuff,  we just stack it the best we can and just guesstimate the board feet in an average layer x layers and just round down.   Life is too short to calculate every board and add it up.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

We had a spread sheet. I cant find it. And sorrier yet, I can't remember who sent it to me to post!

HELP!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

spencerhenry

bdft in common sizes are easy to figure in your head. 2x4= 2/3 bdft/ft, 2x6=1 bdft/ft, 2x8= 1 1/3 bdft/ft, 2x12= 2 bdft/ft. an easy way to figure it is multiply thickness by width, and divide by 12. 2x4=8, 8/12= 2/3. in 10 foot lengths its real easy, but all others are pretty simple. or for a large order, count the number of pieces to find total lineal footage.  when i am cutting multiple sizes, i sometimes count # of pcs of each size, and average length, when cutting random width 1x  i count layers of the stack, and muliply by the length and width of the stack.  when i bought my woodmizer, i got a little paper "calculator", a chart of bf in various sizes at various lengths.

Bibbyman

You could simplify all the counting by sawing only boards12" wide or 12' long.

12" wide is just thickness x length = bf.

12' long is just width x thickness = bf.

It's those odd widths that get me.  I'll stack 3 4" wide boards together and count them as 12" wide.  Or 3 8" wide and count them as 2x12" wide. Or a 4" and 8", or 6" and 6".  That sort of thing. 

I try to avoid sawing 10" wide boards because they are just too hard to figure up.
;)
Sawing since '94

pappy

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 15, 2005, 08:37:23 PM
Lot of times when we got a bunch of odd stuff, we just stack it the best we can and just guesstimate the board feet in an average layer x layers and just round down. Life is too short to calculate every board and add it up.
Best Way !!!!

Quote from: Jeff B on March 15, 2005, 08:42:31 PM
We had a spread sheet. I cant find it. And sorrier yet, I can't remember who sent it to me to post!
HELP!!
Whoa Whoa # one ....... Remember...

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 15, 2005, 08:37:23 PM
Life is too short to calculate every ......!

Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2005, 08:24:08 PM
Seems like I spend alot of time at the end of a milling job [ tired] with a calculater.

Best time to reflect on your achievements....

Like Bibby pretty much said a block is a block is a block... a cubic foot is what it is...  cubic inches divided by 144

During and at the end of your sawing session ( with practice) you'll be able to tell at a glance what... you sawed ... are sawing ...

Spring is almost here... remember what the flowers smelled like....   Mmmmmm  Life's too short...  but I'm still anxious to see sawdust flying

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tom

A little calculator in the truck and a pencil and paper will solve all of the problems with little brain strain.

H" x W" x L' / 12 = BF

You no longer have to worry about odd lengths, odd widths or quantities.  Just fill in the blanks and charge for what you think is fair. :)

Bibbyman

One thing we did do on a spreadsheet that IS very handy.

We get a lot of calls for and sometimes sales of just oak farm construction lumber.

So I made up a spreadsheet with common lengths across – 8',10',12',14',16' and widths down – 4",6",8",10",12"  in one inch and two inch thick. All fit on one standard paper size "landscape".

Then I set a base price for our lumber and to each length over 8' added and extra $.05/bf.  Then for each width greater than 8",  I added another nickel.  So an 8'x1x6 was at the base price but at the other corner was the 16' 2x12 that was about double in price/bf.

That way when the phone rings,  we can pull out simple sheet of paper and tell them the price per board.

When it's time to raise the base price,  I just change the one figure and all the cells update to the new price.
Sawing since '94

Back40x2

Tony,

There is a book I got a while back that is very helpful.  It is call "Simply Board Feet" by Douglas E. Maxwell.  THe book is nothing but every calculation set up like the old "Times Table Chart"  very easy and simple.  It covers from 1x1x12(.1bf) upto 16/4 x 25.5x20', in that order 

Lengths stop at 20 feet.

After a while the commons will be automatic ;) ;) ;)  Thats why I still use my book :D :D :D

Hope this helps
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

stumpy

I made a spread sheet that takes typical sizes of boards sold a Home Depot. I use it to compare prices. It breaks down standard sizes by lineal feet and board feet. If you want a copy, email me and I'll attach
jvogt@wi.rr.com
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Back40x2

Stumpy,

Just sent an email 2ya.  WOuld love to have a copy, if its not too much trouble.

Thanks
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Jeff

Quote from: stumpy on March 15, 2005, 10:49:55 PM
I made a spread sheet that takes typical sizes of boards sold a Home Depot. I use it to compare prices. It breaks down standard sizes by lineal feet and board feet. If you want a copy, email me and I'll attach
jvogt@wi.rr.com

Whats the format? we can make it so you can attach it right to a post here...

fstedy

Here is a copy I made on excel if you need 2X sizes just double it Hope this helps you out. It was originally made as a tally sheet.
Size   Board Ft.      
1x4x8'   2.7                     
1x4x10'   3.6                     
1x4x12'   4.0                     
1x4x14'   4.7                     
1x4x16   5.8                     

1x6x8'   4.0                     
1x6x10'   5.0                     
1x6x12'   6.0                     
1x6x14'   7.0                     
1x6x16'   8.0                     

1x8x8'   5.3                     
1x8x10'   13.3                     
1x8x12'   8.0                     
1x8x14'   9.3
1x8x16'   10.7

1x10x8'   6.7
1x10x10'   8.3
1x10x12'   10.0
1x10x14'   11.5
1x10x16'   13.3

1x12x8'   8.0
1x12x10'   10.0
1x12x12'   12.0
1x12x14'   14.0
1x12x16'   16.0
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

PhilD

Jeff,
I've got 2 Excel spreadsheets I use all the time and would be happy to post 'em.  Will the forum take .xls or just the 3 listed?

-PhilD

Ga_Boy

I built a spread sheet that I plug in how many, thickness (in inches) width (in inches)  and length (in feet).  Out spits the total number of bf.  I also can set a price in one cell of the spread sheet and this thing gives you the dollar amount.

Let me know if anyone wants a copy.  I have not been able to post Excel spread sheets.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

stumpy

Jeff,
Mines Excel out of Microsoft office professional
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

FeltzE

I've got one I use with all the standard sizes up through 4 " x 20' with a column to list the customers quantity, size and bf on the right I use it a lot, can't find the original digits but can fax a copy to ya.

Eric

FeltzE

I lied, got one scanned in on digits you can print out and I can email to anyone interested.

Jeff, is there any way we can upload little helpers like documents, excel spread sheets to share with FF members?

Eric

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Jeff

Quote from: FeltzE on March 16, 2005, 07:55:15 AM
I lied, got one scanned in on digits you can print out and I can email to anyone interested.

Jeff, is there any way we can upload little helpers like documents, excel spread sheets to share with FF members?

Eric

Yep, there sure is. You can attach .xls by using the additional options when you make a post

beav

Years ago I got sick of figuring up the bdft of a job at the end of the job. I came up with what I call the cant size method. Basically, when the log is squared into a cant, the amount of wood in it is the same no matter how you slice it. So I measure the cant, and take into account the edge boards that came off, the wane left on the cant, etc, and make one entry in my logbook.
(say it's 10 x10" x 12'- easy to figure 100 bdft comes out of it)
  Running a bandmill, it is easy to convince the customer that he owns the kerfs. I haven't had a problem with this system in years. much less figgerin' at the end of the day 8)

johnjbc

Here is a spread sheet that contains formulas to complete a bill. You will need to go into Tools and unprotect the sheet to make any changes, to the Heading, or Formulas. If you have any question or suggestions please ask.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Bavarian in Brazil

This thread just makes me think one thing: Hail to the metric system!

Percy

I have a low tech spreadsheet  that is a MS Works version. It  has 1X4 -2X12 from 6 feet to twenty feet, does all the guzzintas and is easily modified.....if you have Works ;D....I can upload with uhhhh directions.. Like a pic??? Can do..
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Back40x2

There is a book I got a while back that is very helpful.  It is call "Simply Board Feet" by Douglas E. Maxwell.  THe book is nothing but every calculation set up like the old "Times Table Chart"  very easy and simple.  It covers from 1x1x12(.1bf) upto 16/4 x 25.5x20', in that order.  I got it online from either Amazon, or Barnes&Noble.  Just type the authors name, or the name of the Book and it should come up.  Great Book.  No figuring at all 8) 8) 8) 

Lengths stop at 20 feet.

After a while the commons will be automatic ;)  ;)    Thats why I still use my book :D :D :D   

Hope this helps

Jeff

Percy, to attach a document is different then pictures. Start a post, (you must have text in your post,  you cant just attach) then, just under where you type is a link that says >Additional Options...

Click that and it will reveal the attachment facility. Browse to your file and then select "open" the file address will then be in the input area. Then simply click the "post" button. the file will upload and be attached to your post.

This does not work on photo files. Only documents with extensions that I allow.  txt,doc,pdf,xls

PhilD

Here's 2 that I use... (if I can get this to work) 
First is a log scale/bdft estimate.  One column is one of the standards (International, I think?), the other is closer to what I get out of a bandmill.

Second is a bdft calculator setup with $0.30/bdft calculator which can easily be changed.

Junior437t

Here is a good sheet that I use.

Gilman

Here's one we use for beam quotes, you could also use it for dimension lumber.

The only thing different about this spread sheet is how I formatted the cells to include "/" and "bf" in the cells.

It makes it a little easier to read when cutting a beam order.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sawyerkirk

Best thing I ever found was a little slide rule put out by woodmizer, I always keep a stack of them handy, call em, I'm sure they'd send you one

Percy

Says I cant upload that type of file (wks).  Ill try again later Jeff.

Jeff

Is that MS Works file extension? I went ahead and added it. You should be able to upload now.

Percy

Here Goes.(Thx Jeff)
Just enter the amount of a particular board into the appropriate space and the board footage appears just below woth a grand total of all board feet at the bottom. I built this seveal years ago and it still works real good...for me anyways ;D

FeltzE

Try this one, well forget it, it's a 1 mb file scanned in from the original.

I can't win, Just have to email it to anyone interested.

Eric

Tony

THANKS EVERYBODY... I APPRECIATE ALL THE INFO ,IT WILL HELP ME TREMENDOUSLY.
                                      THANKS AGAIN, TONY smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

KiwiCharlie

Hi Tony,
Dont you mean tree-mendously ??  :D  ::)  Sorry about that!  ;)
Now, for all us upsidedowners, is there any formula for estimating how many cubic metres of wood in a given log?
Or for that matter, the metric equivelent of what this thread has been about?
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

GF

Jeff
   I sent the one to you in the past you had posted, I have now on my website http://www.twistedoaksawmill.com select the link called "Log Scale" its has all of them in one sheet.  You are welcome to take it and put in back on the forestry forum website.

GF

Forgot to mention that its an HTM page.
Jeff you may need to clean some of the code out of it.

Russ

I use a chart like this to total my board feet for the day. Let me know if this is useful.
http://equinox.shaysnet.com/~logger/chart.htm

smwwoody

I got these  ones a while back from somewone on here I made A few changes to suit me better It would be fine for a part time mill but too much for a full timer to input

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

here is the soft wood one