Sponsors:

Take a real Forest Rangers Test

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2005, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

How would you do, do you think?

For the Younger fellas, the 1925 test.

For Guys like Noble and Tom and Staples we have the 1908 test ;D

THe attached page's are transcriptions of the original documents; the layout reflects the general style and organization of the original where possible.

Enjoy!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stamp

Huh?  I stopped at "A horse of this kind should carry a 160-pound man with 50 pounds of equipment an average of _____ miles per day for 20 days each month. "  What if the poor horse has to carry a 170-pound woman??? :-\

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stamp

Chet obviously played hooky when they were offering the "man school" that my husband attended...

Man school = "Man, I shouldn'ta said that..."

Jeff

Ada, you woudn't believe the photos I came across last week. Remember the retirement?  :D  They still all exist.  :)

chet

Ada,
I used to like dat man show on TV.   :)  Only da wife wouldn't let me watch it.   :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stamp

Jeff... YIKES!

Chet... Ziggy Zaagy Ziggy Zaagy oi oi oi...

chet

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

chet

Looks like I'd make a better Forest Ranger than a typist. I was able to a least get a couple questions right on this test. Even though I was quessin'  :D

asy

"A seasoned man on moderately rough trails can carry about _____ pounds on his back on a five-days' walking trip. "

Um...

I just want to know what a "Seasoned man" is...

Are we supposed to be seasoning them?

Anyone got any preferred recipes? 

Or should I be throwing peppercorns and a bay leaf in with his bath water and hoping???

asy :D :D :D

PS: I didn't even understand half the questions, much less get any right!

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

redpowerd

QuoteYou provide the answers...
yea i knew that was coming

heres the one i had problems with:
9. An 800-pound pack mule will in an emergency, without injury, carry _____ pounds for 5 miles over trails with slopes not exceeding 20 per cent

interesting, to say the least
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

OneWithWood

DanG Red, that's easy.  The question clearly states it is an 800 lb pack mule.  So it must be able to carry 800 lbs or they would have called it something else  :D :D :D ;D 8) 8) :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

:D it never stops here does it? :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

DanG

I dunno, OWW. :P  My one ton truck is rated at 7400 lbs.  I figger the 800 pound mule should be good for about 2800. :o ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

farmerdoug

Dang, I like your figuring.  That mule should also weigh close to 2000lbs also if we are going by truck standards. ;D :D 8)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Texas Ranger

The mule question is simple, any mule man will tell you that you load the mule till he turns, looks at you, and in Mule says "Uh uh, boss, ain't gonna carry that".  They are sometimes a heck of a lot smarter than the guy doing the packing.

Uh, Jeff, boss man, since we ain't used mules or horses in 50 years, some a that stuff is relegated to history, and as such, needs a historical answer.   Most of them ol' boys are dead, and the knowledge went with them.  About half of it is still usable, on that I did ok, the rest is non-pertinent to the modern world.  Would that it were, since mules and horses leave less impact on the land than the 4-wheelers, JD 550's, pickups and such that we use now.

Asy, this man is seasoned with scotch, beef steak, and tatters.  Makes it rough at night sometimes, but my wife keeps pouring it on me.

Farmerdoug, when my family raised mules back in Missouri we had some weight well over 1200 pounds, them 800 pound mules must be from them northern states where the forage is slim in winter months.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tillaway

I need my father-in-law to answer the first part.  He still remembers how to do the big 16 or 20 horse, I think... maybe more, combine hitches.  Pretty cool pictures if you ever see them.  The rest of it I did pretty well, not real sure how many time keepers I would need for the fire though.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bibbyman

Son Chris worked for a hunting guide in Montana one season.  Being a "trainee", his job was mostly running mule trains in and out of the Bob Martial Wilderness Area.  It took a day in and a day out.  Something like 15 trips with a string of 8 mules to bring the camp back out at the end of the season.

He said they had one HUGE mule that was slow and gentle as a milk cow.  Anytime they had a heavy client,  they'd put him on this mule.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

LUMBERING
45 to 50. By what unit measure are the following forest products commonly sold?
45. Logs _________________________

Everyone knows the answer to this is a whack!!   8)
Say when

Phorester

No fair!  No fair!!  Tranger actually WROTE both tests!! 

Dan_Shade

pretty neat stuff, the "hewn railroad ties" shows why the men weighed 160 lbs :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Phorester

To think that this was less than 100 years ago.  How much has changed in that time.........

Dan_Shade

does anybody have a copy of a modern forestry test?

does it have things like walking off plots and the likes?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Engineer

I know the correct answers to about fifteen, can guess at another ten or fifteen, and the rest is pure  ???

The ones on Forestry, Wood, Lumbering and Lands are pretty easy - although most eastern (colonial states) surveyors wouldn't have a clue on section calculations.   Everything here is through land grant and chain of title by metes and bounds.

Phorester

"does anybody have a copy of a modern forestry test?"

Remember in the early 1900s there were no forestry schools.  This type of test was the only way to determine the knowledge and abilities of somebody applying for a job.

Nowadays you have to have a 4-year college degree to apply for a Forester job, and most places require a 2-year technical school degree for technician positions.  Employers know that a job applicant with those degrees already has been tested for the knowledge to do the entry level job for them.

So there's no modern forestry test comparable to those earlier ones. 

SwampDonkey

About the only place you might get a hold of a modern forestry test would be at your State Registered Professional Forester Association or Certification testing for Forest Technicians. And probably only available from someone who retained it after writing it. I've taken forestry school tests where you had to turn in the test questions with your name written on it. Tests at forestry schools however would likely be more designed to test a specific subject like Ecology, Forest Fire Management, Stand Dynamics etc... and would not be as broad as a test presented in this thread.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I thought I would bump this up just because it was the thread I was looking at to make sure the path for attachments was configured correctly after the server move.  If you have not done so, check out the attachments in the first post. they are kinda interesting :)

ErikC

The first section was right up my alley.  ;D Things in the pack animal department have not changed in a while I guess.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Jeff

I think this deserves a bump up. Its only been a dozen years. :)

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I had fun "answering" all the questions.  ::)
I think reading all the questions is more like it.  ;D  
I enjoyed it!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

For the record, the attached documents have been part of this website, given to us by the Forest service 17 years ago, a long long time before the linked website above even existed.
Not sure the purpose of the reiteration...

47sawdust

The responses were very funny.
For anyone looking to pass some time take a trip back to the FF beginning.
It was sometimes more like comedy central.
Thanks for the bump, Jeff.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!