iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple more ? for Alaskan users

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, March 15, 2005, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

what is the thickest slab you can mill

which brand of chain (and type) do you prefer
I am currently using Cutter's Choice ripping chain on the Logosol and for quartering chunks to move. It is a semi-chisel they say is specially ground for chain saw mills
wondering if there is any better

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dan_Shade

13" if I remember correctly

I made another set of "t" bars for ripping a 36" oak in half so I could move it, mine are like 30" tall or so, they cause the bar to bow a little bit, but that's a minor problem that I can address later, I think.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kevin

Mike, you are only limited by the size of your mill and in my case how much you can carry.  :D
I've had good luck with both Stihl and Oregon chain out of the box and poor results from other modified chains.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Mike,
Yes its 13" max depth cut on the Alaskan.  Im with Kevin on using rip chain from the box.
What pitch and guage chain are you using?  ???
I like the Oregon rip chain myself.  It gives me good results, so Ive stuck with it.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Brucer

The maximum depth of cut on my Alaskan mill (21 years old) is 14". If by "slab" you mean the first piece cut off the log, you have to reduce the depth of cut by the thickness of your guide plank system. If you mean a cant with two parallel faces, you can saw in from both sides of the log so there is really no practical limit.

I use regular Oregon crosscut chain and file it straight across, with a much deeper gullet. It's a pain squaring those cutters up and it wastes a lot of metal, but once a chain is prepped it's easy to keep it sharp. I'd like to try the Oregon ripping chain with the 10 degree angle, but the local dealer will only bring it in if I buy a complete roll of the stuff. "Nope", I told him, "I think I'll buy a Wood-Mizer instead." He still thinks I was kidding  :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!