iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stupid out of gas question on Woodmizer

Started by SawDust_Studios, March 14, 2005, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawDust_Studios

Ok, this is the first year I've kept the mill outside, but underroof.  I was told, that gas can sit and gun up internal parts, so I take the can off the mill and run the motor till she stops.  Now, I'm ready to saw and no power.  What is the easist, safest way, to get the gas to begin pumping again. 

Where was the post again about professional help  :-\
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Tom

Put new gasoline in the tank.  Put the tank on the mill.  hook up the fuel line.  Do you have a manual "bulb" in your fuel line?   Pump it until it is tight, that fills the pump and lines..  Hook up your battery and turn the key on

SawDust_Studios

No bulb, that is my problem.  Can get the gas to seem to take a prime.  I'll take another look tonight to see if I see a bulb hiding somewhere.

thanks tom

dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Proceed directly to Wally World. Do not pass go. Buy a "Bulb" from the marine section. Go home. Install "Bulb". pump bulb. Star saw. Cut log.

My smart a$$ Best friend is here, visiting. It has rubbed off on me, today. This is the one I told you about, that lost HIS wife right after I did. We are trying to morally support each other.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

bull

with my LT 40 super, fill the tank turn key on, don't start the engine listen to your fuel pump "its electric" you will hear a change in the sound of the pump. shut the key off wait a couple of seconds, and fire her up. has worked for me for 4 years...

Jim_Rogers

You may have to pull the choke out until she fires, also.

If it were me. I'd have put some of that stuff in the gas to prevent the gum up and left the gas in the machine. Sometimes gaskets can dry out if they aren't wet with gas. This can cause problems later when you can't get it started. Your carburetor may need to be rebuilt.
Good luck.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawDust_Studios

Thanks for all the help.   

You ever have one of those days, where you wish you didn't even wake up that morning!!  That was my day today.

Dave :'( :'( :'(

Tom

Wooee!!   Not waking up doesn't sound like a good day. :)

An old timer friend of mine told me "If you can sit on the edge of the bed in the morning and put both feet on the floor, you're having a good dayu." :D

bull

DanG

Harold, I'm appalled to learn that you have a friend that is better smart-assed than me! :o :o :o  I gotta meet this guy. ;D :D :D :D

Dave, I don't see any reason to run all the gas out of a 4-stroke engine, unless it's gonna be sitting for a long while.  Be sure and check ALL the lines for blockages.  The engine of a portable sawmill operates in a very harsh environment, and it doesn't take much sawdust to clog a pick-up tube.  Go ahead. Ask me how I know this. ??? ::) :P :-[
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MartyParsons

Even though the engine shut down when it ran out of gas there was gas still left in the carb float bowl. This could of gumed up and stuck. It may be a good idea to put some fuel stablizer in your last tank you may use at the end of the season or if you are going to store the mill for an extended period of time. You will not need to run the engine dry of fuel.  This wouln't help now but may help in the future. This engine has a fuel pump that works off the pulses of the engine (Vacume) This is also a place that could get gummed up. Remove the air cleaner and put a little gas in the carb and choke. These engine are usually not hard to start when they run low on fuel.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!