iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lordy, Lordy! What's a stick!

Started by ARKANSAWYER, March 13, 2005, 09:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Well my cant hook came in this week while I was gone.  Come in from church and LBJ, Woody and I had to give it a try.   It works.   I mean it works very, very well.   I rolled a 28 inch 10' red oak with out even trying.  You can hook it to a 14 inch and it will roll on it's own from the weight of the handle.  I hooked it to the butt of this 30 inch red oak to test for bite.  I knew this log would not turn so I could really bow up on it.  I about busted my gizzard but the hook bit in on it's own and held. 
  Headed to Memphis this week to saw a 67 incher and this will make it a cake walk for sure.  There is no way to tell for sure how much work, pain or greif this will save me this year.  If you got ARKY size logs or do much portable sawing this is the hook for the job. 
  There is no way to tell how grateful I am to LogRite for working with me on development of this hook.  Other then the color I can find no fault in the hook or it's workmanship.  Shipping may be a problem but will be worth the coin the first time you need the hook.  It will become one of those things that you have and wonder how you ever lived with out it before.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

A new meaning to: "Speak softly and carry a big stick!"

We could have used it today when we sawed up a big 20+' cotton wood log.  Didn't count them but I figure we made about 30 2x10s and enough 2x4 so frame a chicken house out of the second cut.  Still have the first cut to work up!  It's at least 40" on the butt.  Our Terex wouldn't lift it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Back40x2

ARKANSAWYER,   

How long is it?   I have the 60" and I can move a lot with that.  I am a big guy anyway at 6'5" 245lbs, but there have been times where I needed a little more @#* behind me.  Is this something you can call and they'll make for you???  72" would be great 8) 8)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

HORSELOGGER

Back 40... 72 inches of "@#*" would probably look fine on a guy 6'5"
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

neslrite

Back 40

The tool is 78 inches long!

If you need one call 1-800-631-4791, it is not available on the web yet.

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

D._Frederick

Arky,

What will happen if a 200-250 pounder gets on the end of that hook? Will it bend or is it so heavy that it takes a 200 lb man to lift it?

Jeff

Quote from: D._Frederick on March 13, 2005, 10:06:01 PM
What will happen if a 200-250 pounder gets on the end of that hook?

Somebody that small aint got no bizness using that cant hook. 200lbs? Thats a shrimp!  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Back40x2

neslrite, 

Thanks,  I will be ordering one within the next two weeks. ;)

Horse, 

I think you're right ;)  Atleast I hope you are!  I get alot of HUGE sugar maples, and oak upwards of 50" I need something.  My tractor will be here in 2 weeks hopefully that will solve some problems as well ;)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Back40x2

Jeff,

Watch it now, I resemble that ;)

Bibbyman

Here's is my Uncle Chick with what looks to be the grandfather hook to the new Arky hook.  :D
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Looks like Aunt Nellie is getting the short end of the deal...

Frank_Pender

I like the picture, Arky.  I have been told min is in the mail, and should be here the first of the week.    (I hope.)   

It sure will be nice to have that "whack" of tools for next Saturday and "Tree School".
Frank Pender

neslrite

Yes sir Mr Pender yours is on its way! ;D
I think I the boxes mixed up, Tammy said ARKY was supposed to get the PINK one. :D
Kevin

HORSELOGGER

Looks like Uncle Chick is yellin over to Aunt Nellie to"hold it there :D , now while I get another bite!"
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Roxie

I can't stand it.....poor Aunt Nellie!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Say when

hillbilly

Aunt Nellie is probably telling him to get he lead out so's it does'nt  roll back on her foot .
           YEP that sure is a fine looking piece of hardware you have there ARKY Ive got to get me one of those in fact I need two log rite canthooks the ARKY size and a 36'' one.
       HILBILLY

Frank_Pender

I can handle the pink ok, but I will have to be more careful in using that one around the Sequoia and its sawdust.  If you recall the sawdust turns pint in just a short while, after being exposed to the sun.   I suppose that I could only bring the Arky Special out when the sun was not shining. 8)
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

I know I look small but I cross the scales at 198 to 205 most of the time in nothing but what the Good Lord gave me.  I can lift a small block Ford engine block off the floor and put it on a table so shrimp or whimp would not apply to me.   I loaded up on it pretty good and the handle did flex some but the hook held.   If I can find a floor scale it would be neat to stand on it and bow up on a log to see how much force I can really put on the end of the handle.   But if I lift with 200 lbs of force over the 6 ft of handle that gives me 1,200 ft/lbs of torque.  :o :o :o  Which is twice over what my Dodge diesel truck can produce.
  Need to call WM and get me some offical WM orange paint and re-coat my hook if it does not void the warrenty.
 Also I think Uncle Chick would be wise to keep that hook out of the hands of Aunt Nillie as he may find it wrapped around his neck. :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

I still cant figure you guys with Wood-Mizers out wanting orange cant hooks.  You lay it on the machine and there is the chance you could over-look it. That blue color is great for visability. You can find it in the first glance, and there is not much chance of it laying on the bed of your mill when it shouldn't be.  Now if I had a Baker sawmill. I might want the orange Cant hook.

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff
       It is like putting turpentine on your hound dawg, it just does not sit well.  Equipment is named after women because once you offend them there will be hell to pay.  Care and caution should always be used when handling either one becasue they can put a hurting on you and cost some coin when you do not have any to spare.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Doc

Quote from: Jeff B on March 13, 2005, 10:08:39 PM
Quote from: D._Frederick on March 13, 2005, 10:06:01 PM
What will happen if a 200-250 pounder gets on the end of that hook?

Somebody that small aint got no bizness using that cant hook. 200lbs? Thats a shrimp!  ;)

I tote men bigger than that around for sayin things like that, and I am slightly under 200.....lol.

I like the idea of some added leverage! I am certainly no big fella at 6'1" and 195, so I can use all the extra I can get.

Doc

MULE_MAN

I think it kind of goes along with the old saying  Work Smarter Not Harder  ;)

I'm ordering one !!!     ;D  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Doc

Is that handle material fiberglass? I am trying to get an idea of what that sucker weighs.

Doc

ARKANSAWYER

I took mine to the house and put it on the bathroom scale.  17 lbs is what it said.  The thing is made from alumimuninumiinnm I would guess except for the hook which is high grade steel.  Not bad for the size.
ARKANSAWYER

Doc

That ain't bad at all! I looked at the Logrite site after reading this thread, and the prices aren't bad either. I am gonna have to get me one of dees! I don't have enough butt to move dem biguns with a normal length cant hook....

Doc

oakiemac

Now that is a hook!

I'll be placing my order shortly. I asked a supplier at the logging conference if they had a hook longer then 60" and he gave me this look like "what in the world would you ever use one for". He evidently hasn't seen some of these large southern Michigan Black Oak logs. He is probably only used to seeing those whimpy Aspen and birch logs.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

Oakiemac, Logrite has a distributer that attends the Lake States Logging Congress now. Not sure who he is. Kevin told me he was in Greenbay last year and will be in Marquette in 2005.

Pete J

Arky,

Please tell me you're not gonna try to paint over powdercoat. Number one, I don't thing it will stick. Number two, see number one.

For those who posted about the strength of the handle. We had a tool tester contraption that measured ft/lbs of torque applied to a log. We brought it to the Richmond Virginia trade show to let people see how strong our tools are. I could do about 600 lbs with our regular 48" cant hook. An Amish farmer in his late 60's put 1450 ft/lbs on the machine with a 48". Wow, he was strong!

That handle flexed a little, but didn't give. The new ARKY sized stick has even thicker wall tubing than our standard tools. I can't even imagine the numbers our Amish farmer could have posted with it.

TomFromStLouis

Okay, it is just too easy to get sucked into the enthusiasm here. Especially if you are a 5'-10" shrimp like me who has already had one back surgery. In short, I want one. But tell me truly what is different about this one versus the next size down in the Logrite pecking order.

Okay, for one, the tube wall is thicker. Good. Very good. Is the hook at a slightly different angle to make it bite so well? If so, say no more, my order is on the way, because my main complaint with our everyday hook is getting it to bite and stay bit on the larger log. If this has truly solved THAT problem, I can only ask, "What took so long?"

neslrite

Tom,
Yes the hook is bigger much bigger with a 78inch handle.
Kevin

Jeff

I guess i didnt really word that shrimp business very well. :)  Its just been a Looong time since I saw 200 lbs. :) It was meant to be an attack on my over-size and not a crack about others.

Sorry! :)

Minnesota_boy

:) :) I think I'm the real shrimp on here.  5'11" and 175 on my way to 165 if I can do it.  I was up to 195 two years ago and didn't like it. :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kirk_Allen

Tom,
Im on the road and cant send you our evaluation report but Im sure Logrite will foward you the copy we sent them. 

TRUST ME!  This thing bites into a log and does not let go. 

I have some Veneer grade Hickory logs that are 10 foot long and 40" diameter and I moved them with NO PROBLEM. Thats about 5500 lbs of log that I moved one handed!   My old hook would not even bite into them.  Even after hammering the hook in the old style hook would pull out. 

THIS NEW TOOL ROCKS! 

Kevin

Get the one with the winch kit ... the cant a long.

Back40x2

Jeff,    Don't sweat it ;)     It's all good.  ;)

Frank_Pender

Kirk, it may "rock" but it also, rolls.   Logs. :D 8) 8) 8)

I am getting impatient.  Mine ought to be here tomorrow, I thought sooner. :'(

Not a bad idea, Kevin.  It has me thinking. 
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

StLouiTom   It is different from the 60 inch in the hook attatchament is farther up the handle and the hook is longer with a better angle for biting big logs.  The hook will bite in on it's own with out having to be hammered in.   It was patterned after a very old hook I found.  LogRite was using the right hook point we just needed to ARKANSAS size it.   
   Kevin  Maybe we can just have them weld on a loop just below the handle grip to attach a come-a-long to or a capstan winch.
  Dirt is to poor around here so we don't got no Amish here abouts.
  Whats powder coat got to do with any thing? ???  I have not seen any thing a red neck can not get gray primer to stick to. :D
ARKANSAWYER

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

pigman

If we are going to have a  shrimp contest I want to enter.  8) Only weighed 140 lbs until recently. Now only 150. When I use a cant hook I always have to pull up on the handle, can not push down much. :( 
Bob the runt of the litter
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

TomFromStLouis

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on March 14, 2005, 09:54:42 PM
    Whats powder coat got to do with any thing? ???  I have not seen any thing a red neck can not get gray primer to stick to. :D

Well gee Arky, if you REALLY got redneck blood in them veins, can't you find some orange duct tape or something to really dress it up? Maybe you need to come to the big city and get some construction or crime scene tape to glue on or something.

When I make my move, I am leaning towards some kind of pink finish, since my partner Joe loves the color so much. It's kind of a Lumber Logs LLC theme. And my vote still goes toward naming it Pinky (or Pinkie, not sure). "I just moved it with my Pinky" is too good.

etat

Hey, I wanna play in the shrimp contest.  :D 5'11, 165 to 175, back and forth.    Used to not be near that much. I'd have to pull up too!   It sorta goes with the  job.  ya gotta be a lightweight to be a full time roofer. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

Well I'm way under all the listed weights/heights so I guess I win huh?
How about a brand new Arky Hook as a prize ???  ;)  ;D

Hokiemill

Furby and pigman, I think I can give you a run for your money.  I'm 5'-5" and 160lbs.  I just ordered a new 60" logrite peavey to help with the big ones.  Couldn't bring myself to buy the Arky.  Just doesn't seem right to have a peavey that's taller than me! ;D :D ;D

Bro. Noble

Well,  If I was the right height for my weight,  I'd be the tallest guy on the forum :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

I was built for the woods  :)
At 5'7" ( on a tall day ) and 184 lbs ( I keep dreaming of 175 ) I get a big kick out of taking my more vertically stretched freinds for a walk in the woods.  Poor things are always bending over, tripping or getting smacked in the face with branches and stuff  :D  I just mosey along like nothing happened :D 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fred

I would not bet much on that one Bro.Noble
                          Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Furby

bberry

Lordy, Lordy! What a woman! 8) 8)
That's a nice cant hook but I'll pay double for an Aunt Nellie! She's worth her weight in gold! Especially if she's good at taking away the slabs! I'll bet Uncle Chick didn't give her any lip since she doesn't even need a cant hook to load logs. Could it be that she is Paul Bunyon's long lost sister. If she's your aunt,Bibbeyman, I'm not messin with you either!! 8) 8)

Bibbyman

Most all the women in my family – both sides – worked right along side the men folk.   

Dad tells the time he went to the market and left mom "plowin' corn" with a team of horses.  He got back and was so mad... she'd about worked those poor horses to death in the hot July sun.  She wanted to get done before he got home so he'd be pleased.

Aunt Nellie was no wallflower but I suspect this picture was staged.  Notice that she was wearing her Sunday best dress and goin'-to-meetin' shoes.

No need to worry about me... But Pro-Sawyer Mary - you don't even want to mess with! :D
Sawing since '94

LIL

After having come to the conclusion that this is a great place to ask "dumb questions" I just wanted to know

DOES THE STICK HAVE A NAME YET?

Maybe it could be named after Aunt Nellie????
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

bberry

Naming a cant hook after such a lovely lady would be an honor. Great idea! Let's have a vote! Arky, do you mind? Such a name could only enhance sales. Hey you guys get off the scales,  stop measuring yourselves and vote for Aunt Nellie. I 'd like one that had the name in fine graphics on the side in such fashion that would befit the fine woman. Bibby if you could get a picture of Aunt Nelly and sent it to the company they surely would use it. One with her flexing her biceps would be nice. Show it here too so that it will quiet down these guys bragging about thier size and strength! :D :D

Frank_Pender

I got it!  I got it!   I got it!   I will have to find a folk with a band mill to sell the Big Blue to them as I have no  need for a canthook.   I could use the kook as well, Kevin.   I know, you told me you were sending it separately.  ;D
Frank Pender

Ga_Boy

I just got off the phone with Kevin at LogRite.   I got me a Arky hook and a 48"er on the way.   You the man Kevin. 8) 8)

I sure could have used that Arky hook yeaterday, I went got me a RO that is 40" and a WO that's 37". 8) 8) 8)

I do like the big ones.  When I got them beast to the yard, I realized the only thing I had to unload with was my 6' long steel bar.  This is why I love my deck over, I had that thing unloaded in 30 minutes, I'll bet that when I get my Arky hook, I'll be able to unload in 15 minutes.  I ended up with a few ugly logs, that will make real nice fire wood to heat my kiln with. 8) 8) 8)

All in all not a bad half day.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

MemphisLogger

I just inspected the Arky Special firsthand--it was here here in Memphis to demonstrate how well it works on a gnarly 7000+ lbs log--I'll be orderin' one straight away  ;D.

The hook is extra thick in the bend to resist bending and the geometry is perfect.

It looked good strapped to Wanda too!
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Frank_Pender

Well, Keven , all is here except the hook for the Arky unit. :'(  Is it in one of the boxes from todays delivery?  I did not seem to locate it in the main box for the handle. :'(
Frank Pender

Larry

I would really like to believe that the Arky Super Stick tamed the "Memphis Monster".

Course without pictures....guess it didn't happen. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

MemphisLogger

I didn't get to the job until after Arky had split it but he's coming back Sunday to saw the quarters so I'll be sure to take my camera.

Personally, I can't wait to see how much easier his hydraulics make it--I turned down the job since my "hydraulics" (read cousin) are out in WA  ;) :D

That LogRite stick is even longer than I'd imagined.

That, or Arky is a heck of a lot shorter than I HAD imagined  :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Buzz-sawyer

Scott
Arky may be a bit on the lee side, however, as with his little dog , he makes up for it with enthusiasm, and  Arkansas scale (pounds are more there inches are longer)
It comes from a  heavy diet of grey squirrels and grits. ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

MemphisLogger

Oh, he's got it on the pounds side of the equation!  ;) :D ;D

It all appears to be real hard ponds too.

His new 13" beagle will be the perfect match for him when it fills out  :D ;D

Swede

I made my own hook, the Swede Hook! :D About same length as I am, 69" made of scrap from the workshop.

Remember that log I told you about the other day? Fresh spruce, Ø30"/32" and 17' long. Get some help from a tractor/front loader to get it up on the saw mill and also for turning it 180* after some cuts. Tryed to turn it 90* my self when it was cut to 8" thick. I couldn´t even move the DanG thing! A guy, 20 Kg (e g. 100 Kg.) biger than me from the audience gave me a hand. We had to use all we had to turn that log.

Swede.

PS. Sawing in town there use to be an audience. Most people here hasn´t seen a mobile band saw mill.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

Swede, that's precisely why we added the hydraulic cylinder to the clamp.

I can position the cylinder directly under the log and raise the dead weight , so we can get the cant hooks hooked over the edge of the cant. That way, we have the advantage. Trying to roll a partially cut cant is murder, until you take advantage of the weight.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: UrbanLogger on March 18, 2005, 02:35:57 PM
Oh, he's got it on the pounds side of the equation!  ;) :D ;D

It all appears to be real hard ponds too.

His new 13" beagle will be the perfect match for him when it fills out  :D ;D

That makes me think of something funny :D :D :D :D........At the pig roast , ARKY and I were gabbin with the fellas, and at one point he reached over and test my bicept with a squeeze as if checking on my strenght ;D (maybe considering weather or not he wanted give me a hard time or how hard I work the mill?)
Did he test anyone elses strenght ..speak up fellas :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bibbyman

I've spent a lot of time with Arky and he's never grabbed me.... ::)

Maybe he just thinks you're special... :-*
Sawing since '94

MULE_MAN

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Buzz-sawyer

Come to think of it , the guy who grabbed my arm called his self Bibbyman ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ARKANSAWYER

Buzz the others are not going to say anything as they thought a bear trap had grabbed their arm.  No wimps in my family tree, just a few monkeys.
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

He spared me as I was walking around with a LogRite hookaroon all day.  ;D

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Jeff B on March 23, 2005, 07:45:19 PM
He spared me as I was walking around with a LogRite hookaroon all day.  ;D

This is Jeff's version of walking softly and carrying a big stick. :o

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

asy

Quote from: UrbanLogger on March 18, 2005, 10:09:09 AM
I didn't get to the job until after Arky had split it but he's coming back Sunday to saw the quarters so I'll be sure to take my camera.

Um...

I thought Arky was broken???

Did no-one explain the concept of "KEEP OFF THE LEG FOR A WHILE AND TAKE IT EASY?"

"A while" is not usually defined as "a day or two"...

You look after yourself, I'd hate to hear the leg went gangrenous and had to be amputated. (Am I scarin ya onto the porch yet???).

Hey Swede, ya problem was you picked the biggest guy in the audience. You should have picked the smallest woman. Oh, and made sure her name was Nellie. :D

I still think the BIG stick should be called the Arky Special, since he was involved in it's inception, but, in deference to Bibby's Auntie, I think the smallest stick should be renamed the "Nimble Nellie"   ;D ;D ;D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Bibbyman

The 30" Sawmill Specail done got a new name back last fall. 

It's the "Pro-Sawyer Mary Special". (Dave Mann of Wood-Mizer,  Pro-Sawyer Mary and Helper Brooke.)

The Pro-Sawyer Mary as well as the 48, and 60" hooks are available in ORANGE from Wood-Mizer.
Sawing since '94

asy

Gee Bibbyman,

Are you trying to get one named after every member of ya family????

I wonder what the Bibbyman Cant Hook would look like???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Bibbyman

I didn't give any hooks any names.  (I did suggest a few for the Arky model.)

The Pro-Sawyer Mary came from the factory with that name.  One of three made special in ORANGE.

There should never be a "Bibbyman Special" as the Bibbyman tries to avoid using a cant hook! :D
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman's cant hook is mounted on the side of his Lazyboy.  'Cause he cant get the foot rest down with out it. ;D :D :D :D :D :D
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

[/img]

Fla._Dh; This tool works for turning normal logs but not too big, too crooked or all logs sawed on 1-3 sides. Think I have to rebuild it but making the plate with teeth longer  I´ll cut it off when used as a clamp. :-\

Do You have a picture of The Hydraylic Swamp Hook?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

::) Fla._Dh.  Can just say...............there is no single reason why my turner/clamp shouldn´t work much better than Your simple stuff. ;D
Do you only saw perfect logs down there? :D :D :D Do You run them in a turner before get them upto the HomeMizer? ;D

Mine is made in two parts, one (V-shaped) swinging up/down by a hydr. cylinder. The other (arm with a plate) is swinging by an other cylinder but also forced towards the log by two springs, now much stronger than on the picture. Thats why the hole for the cylinders "rear" bolt is not round, the bolt can slide in the hole while the springs are working/log is turning. See, that cylinders stroke is 6" and the hole is 4x3/4".
With the V-shaped part down and the plate puched I can clamp a log 5x5".

Pulling the wrong level a big log can jump up in one end and get placed ACROSS the frame. :D :D The audience use to love it, I don´t. smiley_blush
Can You do that Turn-a-cross? ;D

Swede.

Fla._Deadheader

That's the beauty of them sunken logs, Swede. They ARE perfect ::) ;D ;D

We load the skids with the backhoe or the truck. From there, we use the cant hook and the hydraulic loader on the mill. We have no "Turner" , just cant hooks.

We saw from 24" long to 24' long. We saw from 6" dia. to 37" dia. That clamp works for all sizes and shapes. We saw curved logs for Tables and Benches and we saw angled logs for oval shaped pieces. The clamp will lift any weight, then we use the cant hook, once the turn has been started. It will not turn a log or cant 90°, unless I take time to mess around with it. It does work slow, but, we haven't pitched a log off the wrong side, yet. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

hillbilly

We growem tall and lean here where we live my older brothers are 6,6'' 190  ,6,2''200 and that leaves me the lightest but still the youngest and best looking ;D at 6,5'' 180 summertime I get down there to around 174lbs they work us pretty hard abuot that time no shrimps no whimps but I sure try to use leverage every chance I get Ill have to get me one of those MONSTER TAMING ARKY STICKS ;)
                    HAVE A GOOD EASTER BOY'S
                            HILLBILLY 

Swede

I see, Fla._Dh,  them sinkers is perfect, uhumm.  :-\ You are still trying to get me out on the water full of terrible  crocodiles in and snakes hanging in the trees over, aren´t You? ;D :D

So  You DO use the hook for turning! Now I´m calmed down some.   ;)

Swede.

Fla._Deadheader

Sorry I had ya disillusioned, or maybe dillusional ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!