iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rapco Carbide Chain

Started by OLD_ JD, March 13, 2005, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD_ JD

hi all
and bailey's catalog they offer some Carbide chain like the fire dep. use to cut car's ,they said ,"cutting speed is significantly reduce"...but by how much? :-\  i will like to find some chain who can be more "durable" for my firewood procesor ;)
wonder if any of u have experience whit that type of chain ???
      thanks for ure time  JD
canadien forest ranger

sawguy21

Who can afford it and where would you get it sharpened?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OLD_ JD

well...i use betwen 15 to 20 chain per years....that a lot of $ just there. and i  use chain grinder for filling...hope i can do it whit that :-\

forestindustry.com

canadien forest ranger

Kevin

That won't work too well.

Carbide tipping of the cutters makes 3/8" STIHL RAPID™ Duro (RD) chain specially cutting dirty wood, treated wood or railroad ties, which would quickly dull conventional chain must be resharpened with a formed diamond grinding wheel

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

OLD_ JD

do i will have to fil it often anyway :-\
canadien forest ranger

rebocardo

> Carbide chain like the fire dep. use to cut car's

FWIW: They do not use that to cut metal, it is meant to cut through nail embedded roof wood and window frames along with the asphalt shingles. They do have a rescue type chain, but, I have not seen it in any Bailey's catalog and usually for extraction they try to keep sparks down so they use hydraulic spreaders and shears. fwiw.

OLD_ JD

sorry rebocardo if i did interprete that correctly :-\..and ure acturaly write about it..my misteke
but the point of my question was (look like u know what iam talking about),can they be use to cut wood and are they too slow for it ???
they are in the new 2005 bailey's catalog,u can click in the link of my past reply
again i sorry about that mistaking,i try to dont repet it again :-X
                                   thanks   JD
canadien forest ranger

Kevin

JD;
Making mistakes is one of the rules here but we don't need to enforce it very often, we all do it sooner or later.  :D
Carbide will do the job you want but you need someone with a diamond wheel to sharpen it.
Have you tried chipper chain?
Another option would be to try and keep the logs clean prior to cutting them.

_INDY_

has anyone ever had one of thier chains cryo treated?......i have a few milling bits in our shop that were sharpened and then cryo treated about a year or so ago and there showing no signs of needing to be sharpened....might be worth investigation

Deerlope

I recently bought a carbide 3/8 pitch chain for some dirty logs. Cost me 100 bucks for an 18 inch. You can purchase some diamond rotary files to use in a cordless drill and they work very well. They have a depth attachment made on them an the angle 30 or 35 drg. I took mine to a sharpening shop and it cost me 20 buck to have them do it. If interested in the files look at www.ezlap.com.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

Deerlope

MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

OLD_ JD

HI deerlope
thanks for the info,now then bailey's is sponcer i my have more info coming by them too ;)
How do like the chain? is it slow cutting?how many face corde u made out of one file?are u happy whit ure purchase?
thanks again     JD
canadien forest ranger

firedog

We use carbide tipped chain for cutting roofs and other stuff involed in a wood structure.  On cars we use sawzall's and Hydralic tools to cut.

Carbide chain works well for cutting roofs but I wouldn't want to be the one paying for the chains becasue they get pretty tore up. Usually have to be sent in for sharpening after one fire.  They aren't fast but then again we are cutting through roofing and sheathing all at once

Thank You Sponsors!