iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locust for log cabin?

Started by Daren, March 13, 2005, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I posted this question on another site, I hope there are some log home builders here who can help. I have a bandmill that I use for personal and small amounts of resale, custom sawing. I was approached by a couple who want a SMALL summer cabin, I have access to 200+  Black Locust trees that I am buying for $50 ton delivered. I was going to cut decking, flooring... for my own cabin and spec. resale. I have went round and round with this guy, and he is determined to build with locust beams for walls. I explained the properties of the wood and he seems unfazed. I know it would last forever, and I am still going to get decking in the cut down. I am just going to price it sort of like Cedar, is that close? I am not building it, so the weight, hardness on tools etc. are not my worry. Any feed back would be very helpfull.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cedarman

Don't know about building a cabin, but if you get 6 to 9 inch logs, they will split into great rails for a nice looking split rail fence to go around the cabin.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Buzz-sawyer

Daren
they are adults you warned them that it is hard wood. You will have to charge for xtra blade wear and time.......that you feel is fair to your self.(I dont use a bandmill butam sure it probably cuts a bit slower...hedge does on my mill)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Daren

Doesn't really matter now, after calling to me every day for almost 2 weeks, and me bending over backwards trying to help the guy design his cabin all of a sudden he quite calling. And the locust is on the way. Anybody want a locust log cabin cheap? Just kidding I had a plan for it anyway, kind of glad I don't have to let it go in timbers, even though it would have been alot less sawing ( I bet I go through a band blade of 2 cutting 19mbft of locust)

Don P

Don't you love people like that, I don't think they operate in the same world the rest of us do. I bet if you talk to them it wouldn't have even occured to them that you might be a tad inconvenienced  ::). IL does seem to grow good locust trees from what I've seen. I use good ones as 6x6 and 6x8 timbers for shoring up old cabins that we're working on. One of my helpers talked about slicing end grain bricks off the 6x6's and tiling a floor with them, that would be cool. Where concrete can be as strong as 5,000psi, end grain locust can withstand as much as 10,000 pounds per square inch  :o.

Daren

Being to lazy to research it, maybe someone here knows what I am talking about. You reminded me of something when you said endgrain chunks. Didn't they make some cobble stones out of wood (instead of stones or bricks)? I seem to remember a guy telling me one time they were doing sewer work, replacing some original mains in an old town. When they tore up the asphalt road, there was still some wood blocks way down there. I know a guy who built 2 houses out of red brick there removed to pave streets.

Daren

As a plumber I have heard alot about the old wooden water mains. When there was a fire they would dig down and pop a hole in the main, then plug the hole (fire plug) todays fire hydrant . They would paint them red so you could see them in an emergency. You know why fire men wear red suspenders?

To keep their pants up! :D
Sorry, that was an old joke.

KILROY

Daren,
I just finished help building a deck ouy of Black Locust. That wood is heavy, hard, strong and good looking. The posts were 6 by 6, 8 feet long. They were about all you wanted to carry. We used lag bolts and carriage bolts on the frame. It turned out to be a real nice deck. Very solid.

bassfishin79

I build fence for a living and black locusts make about the best corner posts there is.  I planted quite a few a couple years ago for future use.  If you need to get rid of them send them my way.

Daren

Kilroy
That was my plan when I found out this guy was cutting all the locust of his ground, I wanted it to build a deck. I built a barn with a loft by a lake, the downstairs is a 4 car garage for my fishing boat, 4-wheeler...the upstairs has a 1200 ft2 loft with 10' ceilings I am finishing into an apartment. I wanted a big deck off the upper floor so I could watch the critters while I drink coffee, and a picnic table, that kind of stuff. Then I got thinking about building outdoor furniture (I do a little custom woodworking) garden arbors, gazeboes.. and try to market it as "poison free wood" alot of people are turning away from arsenic treated lumber. I already have some picnic tables sold to a local city park, and have a guy who has a camper set up at a busy campground pitching for me. (still don't have the logs). We'll see, I may be looking for more logs.

Don P

After Hurricane Hugo we had a ton of locust on the ground. I asked some of the grad students at State about locust for outdoor furniture. They thought it was a great idea, kind of the American teak. One flooring plant up here markets it as Appalachian Gold.  I'm not sure about it as pavers, it was used as factory flooring in end grain blocks. I worked on one that had been patched many times and had ruts in it, makes you wonder how many generations of folks had pushed how many carts down the same paths thru the plant.
The new ACQ treated lumber is arsenic free, whatever it is it isn't nearly as fixed as the old CCA arsenic stuff though. If I leave it on anything in the rain it bleeds green all over it  ::).
Watch the locust dust if you've never been around much.

Furby

The new ACQ lumber also requires triple coated gav. screws and nails. They cost an arm and a leg here. ::)
Menards just put all the old style gal. screws on clearence if anyone needs cheap gal. screws for non ACQ wood.
Can't beat 5# for 5$. ;)

Dan_Shade

what's the concern with locust dust?

I have access to a few nice locust boards, been considering using them for flooring, might be a bit too yellow for me, though....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

I've never heard of it as toxic or anything but does seem to be an irritant to just about everyone I've talked to...really fine, hangs around and will give you a case of heavy lungs. I'm bad for not wearing a dust mask when I should, this is one I'll wear one for if I'm doing much. I guess I was just saying that sounded like a pretty good whack of logs, kinda keep an eye on yourself. That yellow will often mellow to reddish browns and golds  8)

raycon

Black locust can be toxic to horses. People eat the flowers or make a tea out of them I forget which. If you have a lot of black locust around get in to making honey.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant48.htm

There are several toxic components in black locust including the toxic protein robin, the glycoside robitin, and the alkaloid robinine. The toxins affect the gastrointestinal tract as well as the nervous system. Clinical signs can manifest as soon as one hour after consumption and can include depression, poor appetite, generalized weakness to paralysis, abdominal pain, diarrhea (which may be bloody) and abnormalities in the heart rate and/or rhythm. With sufficient amounts ingested, death may occur within a few days, although black locust is not always lethal. Some animals recover despite showing clinical signs, an indication of the dose-dependent nature of the toxin.

Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!