iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Myth or truth: Stihl chains are better than other makes?

Started by outdoortype, March 13, 2005, 12:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

I've heard that Stihl chains are better quality & stay sharp longer than other brands (Oregon, etc).   I have a Stihl 025 and the chain seems to hold it's edge longer than my others.  Its a standard low kickback "RM2".  Also, I've heard that pro style aggressive chains (with high kickback warnings) dull faster?  Is there any truth to these statements.  Also, can anyone else reccommend any other brand & style of chain.  Any info would be appreciated.  I ask these questions because I know this forum will provide me with No B.S., quality info.

devo

I have found there is a little truth to the Stihl chains holding an edge a little longer. However around here the Stihl chains are worth a bit more money, like $8 a chain so I don't go out of my way to buy them, there not that much better. I read somewhere that Stihl chains have a bit more chrome plating and that is the reason they hold the edge better. For my money I prefer the Oregon pro chains. I think in the end how well a chain performs has more to do with how you maintain it.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

StihlCarver046

Stihl Chains generally dull slower, for me. They are a little harder material more difficult to sharpen and wear out files quickly. Full chisel chain will dull faster than a less agressive chain. Semi chisel for a little dirty wood is probably a good idea.

jokers

I agree completely with what devo posted. StihlCarver046 also made good points

If you wanted a Consumer Reports qualified opinion of what is the best chain, it wouldn`t be Stihl because of the typically much higher price. Now I expect a couple of guys to chime in saying that they pay no more for Stihl vs Oregon and someone will surely even say that Stihl is cheaper than Oregon, but I`ve never seen the prices even close.

Russ

Lobo

Stihl chains are deffinitely harder, do last longer, stay sharp longer, have the oilmatic ramps on the links which does seem to help with lubrication and normally they do cost a little more. You realkly need a quality file such a the Stihl files or PFERDS if you want the file to last, being harder they are a little more work to file. I think Carlton makes a chain closer to Stihl than Oregon does, but then again I could be wrong on this.

oldsaw

I can get huge flakes when sharpening my Oregon chains, but much finer filings when I do my Stihls.

The do seem to go a bit further between sharpenings, and that should make them last longer from the cutter's point of view.  I don't seem to pay a huge premium at my dealer, a couple of bucks on a 36" loop.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

OLD_ JD

Hi all
i find still chain pretty soft steel,easy to files,and hold the edge good but i prefer oregon who i think is stay sharp longer.
like oldsaw said,flake are good size but i do more filing whit the oregon then the still

my own opinion ;)under all regard, thanks  JD
canadien forest ranger

Bernhard

It´s only my thought: The price difference between an Oregon and a Sthil chain(around 2,50$) isn´t worth to change the brand. Carlton tries to join the german market...but where to get them? Don´t know.
I run Stihl chains and also some Oregon...I say Stihl chains last a bit longer then their competitors and always are worth to put a little bit more money in them.

bassfisher

I beleive that stihl is made in switzerland and the others are all made in the US.  Prob could be that quality and precision are expected in Europe and not always forthcoming in NAmerica (stuff made in mexico but marked as made in US or canada.)  Stihl chains give me the best results in clean or dirty hardwood, hold an edge better and cut much faster.
I have noticed that a lot of stuff made in NAmerica is suffering in quality.  The carhartts that used to last me years are now down to a few months heavy use.  Planned obsolesence?  A emphasis on consuming and not quality?  Hard to say.
"Waste not time, for time is the stuff that life is made up of." B.Franklin
Stihl 045AV 034AV--Stihl 026 Husky 65-- XL-76-- Echo 3450  Case 580SE JDeere 440 ICD
Bancroft-the mineral capital of canada & one of the last places that legally allows men to stretch (trapped) beavers without spousal permit

Al_Smith

Stihl chains are very good,I have a few,but I question if they are worth the extra money.As far as the oiling grooves,the last batch of loops[Oregon],that I got from a western logging supply,also had those grooves in the tie straps.I would say,however,that Stihl chain seems to have less stretch,on the initial run in ,JMO.

Engineer

I use Stihl chains on my 025 and Oregon pro chains on my MS390.  I find the Stihl chains keep sharper longer, but they are not worth the extra money.  I spend the extra bux on good files - usually Pferd. 

The pro chain (the aggressive chain) doesn't have the high raker behind each tooth, so they cut slower and tend to dull slower, but the slow cutting is worse than the slow dulling so I don't bother.  I have a brand new reduced-kickback chain for my 025 that I keep as a reserve in case the current chain on my saw breaks, but I doubt I'll ever use it.

If anybody would like a pair of reduced-kickback Stihl loops for a 25" bar (3/8" pitch, .050) for cheap, let me know.  One's new, one's been used once but never sharpened.

Hoop

Personally, I find Stihl chains DO last longer and dull slower than Oregon chains.

However, I can purchase a 20" loop of Oregon 73LG chain for as little as $12.  The cheapest Stihl chain I've bought is $18 for the same thing.

While its better, I don't think its 50% better. 

outdoortype

Hoop,
  Thats about the same price that I pay for 73LG but I have to pay $5 s&h.  This 73LG that I use on my Husky has actually held it's own.  The smaller oregons .325? that came with my Poulan Pro dulled about every time I used them.  I went to a local Stihl dealer and was delighted to find a rare Stihl chain that fit my saw 35RS-68.   How does the Stihl chain you bought compare to Stihl in terms of cutting?

Hoop

I didn't notice ANY difference in cutting performance between the Stihl chain and the Oregon 73LG.

MANY of the guys I worked with 15 years ago INSISTED Oregon 73LP was far better and quicker than the 73LG.

As you probably know, loggers aren't a lot for any rapid change of ideas.

jokers

Stihl chain is slightly harder due to the thicker chrome, which should also make it impossible to get it as sharp as Oregon chain. Files don`t sharpen the chrome, they abrade chunks off it.

Keep your saw out of the dirt and it doesn`t matter waht chain you run as long as it is properly sharp when you start.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!