iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what chain do you like best?

Started by minesmoria, March 12, 2005, 11:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have a 20 inch full skip chisel chain on my saw and find it cuts a bit faster clears the chips faster then full house chain and its faster to sharpen.

which  one do you like best?

devo

For the size of bars I run I prefer the full house chains. Longer bars and chains do perform better with skip chain.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Minnesota_boy

I prefer full chisel chains in full comp, but I have very few trees that I cannot cut using a 16" bar.  If I needed a longer bar, I'd go to semi-skip or full skip, depending on how long of a bar I needed to use.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jokers

Minnesota_boy

:D :D Mine are never that way for long.  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Hoop

I like the Oregon 73 LG chains, even though they do sometimes break in cold weather.  (broken chains aren't even worth bringing out of the woods)

I happen to believe that Stihl .058 gauge chisel chain is of higher quality, but it is way overpriced.

I can purchase 20" loops of Oregon 73 LG (72 drivers) for as little as $12 each.  Stihl 20" loops cost $18 - $22. 

minesmoria

Quote from: Hoop on March 13, 2005, 11:00:06 PM
I like the Oregon 73 LG chains, even though they do sometimes break in cold weather.  (broken chains aren't even worth bringing out of the woods)

I happen to believe that Stihl .058 gauge chisel chain is of higher quality, but it is way overpriced.

I can purchase 20" loops of Oregon 73 LG (72 drivers) for as little as $12 each.  Stihl 20" loops cost $18 - $22. 

Hoop,

The oregon one i have is LJ  the one i had before was lp what do those numbers mean?

mhburton

I use Woodsman Pro 30RCS round chisel skip tooth on a 32" bar. I stays sharp a long time and cuts quick. I bought mine from Bailey's.
http://www.baileys-online.com/WPsawchain.htm
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
Llano, TX

rebocardo

I like the Woodsman Pro 30RCS on my 28" bars too.

For the 20" I prefer the 72v full comp safety chain.

Quartlow

I've been using carlton chain, mainly because htats what the local saw shop handles. its been diong a pretty good job so far.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Al_Smith

The style,or the brand? Stihl for the durability[not the price],Oregon for the price,[not the durability]Carlton,medium price,good length of service.The style,full chisel[round] ,full comp,up to 28".Full skip,after 28".I do have an huge old 48" bar[ 143 drivers ,.404],that the only thing I could find was full comp,because it is .058 ,and it does fine,but then,I use it very seldom[thank heaven]

rahtreelimbs

Full chisel that is the cheapest!!! 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Thank You Sponsors!