iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help designing this machinery

Started by TomFromStLouis, March 11, 2005, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFromStLouis

I know I can count on FF help here. I have in mind a machine that potentially could triple the net income of my lumber making business. But I am sort of new at machinery design and need your input.

I know I want the following features: a knot remover so I only have high grade lumber to sell, a board flattener/check remover to deal with inevitable drying defects, and a grain alternater to either straighten grain around removed knots or turn straight grain boards into more valuable curly lumber. Now, I am smart enough to know that a single phase perpetual motion machine cannot generate the power I will need, so I have already decided I will need a 3 phase perpetual motion power generator.

All of the above is fairly easy to envision; my real question for you is this: do you think I can work into this same machine a species converter or will that need to be a separate project? I like the idea of feeding in a crooked gnarly low grade oak board and getting a straight FAS curly oak board, but wouldn't it be even better for it to come out as mahogany? I thought so too, but I don't want to complicate the design too much. What do you think? 

Oh, I am sorry if this has already been discussed at length. I did not see any relevant threads, even though I cannot believe I am the first to think of this. If it comes together as I hope, do you think there is a market for the machine?

Curlywoods

Tom,

What your asking for is a highly sectret piece of equipment.  If I were to share this information with you I would have no choice but to kill you for fear that you might tell others about my new tool  :D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Dan_Shade

I think I can develop this for you, however, I would need a negotiable sum of money to do a feasability study prior to any commitment for an end product.

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TomFromStLouis

Gee Michael, and here I thought the spirit of this place was to help others in need.  :'(

And thanks for the offer for genuine help Dan. I like it much better than Mr. Curlywoods' offer to kill me. Would you like the suitcase in unmarked bills?

Buzz-sawyer

Tom
You ever get that feeling when your not quite awake , where your not sure if still dreaming?
Sounds like you need to unplug man,you know unwind, get some R and R?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paul_H

Buzz it seems a little suspicious to me that your trying to throw Tom off the trail in developing this machine.I happen to have a single phase perpetual motion motor but am still working on a kill switch.No luck so far.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Buzz-sawyer

Paul
Dont you know how to leave well enough alone...
Well, if you must know, Tom and I live on parallel sides of the Missisipi, and are currently working on TWO top secret and similair projects.........BUT our association is mutually reciprocal.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

TomFromStLouis

SSShhhh Buzz! I gather from the responses so far that it might be best to keep the log-in-one-end-Newport-Secretary-out-the-other project sort of quiet. If they hear about it in Shanghai, we wouuld be sunk.

Murf

Maybe if you helped CK sell some of his mud he would split the profits with you and you could use that money to develop your new secret weapon.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

leweee

CK is your man for a project of this magnitude ::)
:D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_idea smiley_dizzy
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

Actually I have a protype sitting ready to go but it turns out there is a big problem. It incorporates a lumber stretcher integrated within the framework of the design and that has been deemed unfair competition by the knot extractor guys (Knotscape), so. as not wanting to have anything to do with the government, I have decided to turn my invention into a blueberry pancake, blueberry extraction machine because my kids dont like blueberries.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

the knot extractor guys (Knotscape), so. as not wanting to have anything to do with the government

understandable, I have dealt with the CEO of knotscape (knothead) and I believe he is part of the government.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

TomFromStLouis

Quote from: Jeff B on March 11, 2005, 03:22:06 PMmy kids dont like blueberries.

With all due respect, rather than removing blueberries from blueberry pancakes, I would recommend trading in your kids for rational ones.

Bro. Noble

I got to thinking,

There is a machine that will remove knots from lumber and increase the grade of it or even turn logs into veneer quality.  I don't remember it ever being discussed on the forum-------the old pruning saw or it's more up-to-date counterpart,  the sthil on a stick :D

We've talked about TSI.  selective logging,  but I don't remember pruning (or killing grapevines) ever being mentioned.  An enjoyable and profitable use of time for the woodlot owner. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

iain

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz
But you people never cease to amaze me, cause you are all so backward over there, you should never have asked us if you could try looking after your selfs for a while.
Over here in the real world we all stopped using all that old fangled stuff YEARS ago, we now grow ready to use boards/beams  any size you want.
In fact the wood boffins are at this very moment, working on hybrid shingle/trim bushes, i'll look in the local museum for the plans to your "new" machine if you would like, i think they used to run on some thing called electricktrickary, cant rightly remember as it was all before my time.

iain

Jeff

The profound wisdom of a man in a skirt is very much appreciated.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ed_K

Jeff, you made your kids pick blue berries, didn't you  ;D.
Bro. Noble, I think I said something about killing grapevines on here somewhere (?) I get 25 an hr  8).
Ed K

Cedarman

It is true we do not have board bushes yet, but that priviledged information is being unfairly withheld from us by some people on the other side of the pond. But I can reassure all of that the square tree project is alive and well with the first field tour expected in the near future.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

My Bio-Chemist Buddy, in Costa Rica was workin on an injectable DNA solution, for changing the breed of wood in any given tree. Being as how the spensive wood has been cut out, he was gonna make spensive wood outta common trees.

He died in Dec. so, I figgered I could share that with y'all.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kirk_Allen

Tom I heard about some guy one state up from you that already has a system for getting what your looking for.  He has been able to take reject logs and make Veneer lumber 8)  Even turns plywood backer board into FAS lumber.  ;D  I think he must have a pretty unique process because even 5" wide boards are coming out FAS ;D  Might be worth tracking him down.  He may be on to something and might have already worked out the bugs from the sounds of it.  Well, the bugs out of the machine anyway.  Guess a few logs might still have some bugs :D

Hey Paul, I developed one of them kill switches while in the service.  How many volts you running?  Got to be careful with them perpetual motion systems cus they just don't want to quit.

Buzz, I think I am close enough to say I am on the same parallel with you in the state of Illinois.  You need to be keepin me posted on this new stuff soze I can work up the business plan. ;D

sawdust

We got one of them factories just north of us stretches straigtens de-knots realigns the fibres handles everything but the blueberries. They are tossing entire forests into the *DanG thing. Still uses lots of power mostly government hot air and three dollar coins. Produces vast amounts of Old [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] Board..OSB
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

sigidi

Well there'd only be one reason y'all are speaking so openly about this - and that's because ya know I'm a government official from Langley and not from 'Down-under'. For the past few years I have been monitoring the transfer of information over this forum, deciphering your codes to gain access to this project.

So by you guys just talking about it in plain then you must already know who I am, and that means you've sent someone after me....

BRB there's someone at the door - bit strange we don't get milk deliveries anymore...
Always willing to help - Allan

Cedarman

sigidi, you're cracking me up :D :D :D :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Furby

Tom, Following Kirk's line of thinking.....................
Ya may just want to wait for the liquidation of that fellows assets and pick that machine up on the cheap! ;)

Thank You Sponsors!