iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 372 vs. 575

Started by Cedarman, March 27, 2005, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Well, all this talk of the awsome 372XP's going off the market makes me want one? Should I jump. Local Pro shop has 12 in stock at $600 with bar and chain. If anyone is in need,  Andrews Sales, talk to young Sammy. If you guys run on them he has instructions to save one for me! ;D 724-238-6020. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hoop

I had the opportunity to use my 575 this week.  (my 372 has some electrical glitch).

It runs like a new saw.  I'm cutting 2' on the stump red oak, most of which has to be bore cut.

I don't know if its my imagination or what, but the 575 seems heavy and doesn't seem to cut all that great.  My other 3+ year old Frankenstein (made up from dead saw parts) 372 outcuts the 575.  And .....its lighter.

In a real world situation like mine, the 575 translates into less production.....and unfortunately less paycheck.
The engineers responsible for this boat anchor of a saw should be beaten badly.  I truly feel sorry for the Husqvarna dealers......who have to be apologists for this dud.

Before anyone gives me the tired line of the 575 not being "properly tuned"......save it.  The 575 is dead nuts tuned.  Tach reading is 13,000 rpm.

The sales people over at Stihl have to be dancing with glee.

jokers

Quote from: Hoop on May 05, 2005, 08:49:13 PMBefore anyone gives me the tired line of the 575 not being "properly tuned"......save it.  The 575 is dead nuts tuned.  Tach reading is 13,000 rpm.

Oh, I get it now, being tuned too rich is now "dead nuts tuned". Sorry Hoop but you left yourself open on that one. I do however agree with you, the 575 isn`t a 372.

I still don`t see Stihl "dancing with glee" because I haven`t seen any of their new EPA compliant saws. The 575 may prove to be a white elephant by comparison or it may shine, we don`t know yet because we are only comparing a new emissions compliant Husky to old model Stihls.

Why don`t you write a letter stating your displeasure directly to Husky Hoop? I think they need to hear your feedback from the field.

Russ

jjmk98k

Indeed, maybe write a letter to Husqvarna stating your details and see what thier response is

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

ladylake

woodsjunkie
I'm with you on the RPM. Anyone running a saw around 13500 isn't running it, more like abusing it.  Isn't  the HP rated around 9000 RPM + or - a little.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

David_c

put tack to my Dan henry 372 the other day it is running about 14,700

jokers

Quote from: ladylake on May 18, 2005, 08:05:44 PM
woodsjunkie
I'm with you on the RPM. Anyone running a saw around 13500 isn't running it, more like abusing it.  Isn't  the HP rated around 9000 RPM + or - a little.  Steve

Steve,

Consider this scenario, we have a saw that has pretty hot port timing numbers right from the factory, a factor that will make the saw produce peak power at a higher than normal rpm and likewise the saw will still four stroke at a higher than normal rpm. What this means is that in the case of the 575, it`s likely that the saw will four stroke way beyond 13,600 rpm and we both know(right?) that to be properly tuned by ear that we would lean the mixture(rpms increase out of cut) until the engine stops four stroking and cleans up, then we would richen the mixture to where it just starts burbling or "four stroking" again and the carb should be pretty well tuned for "in the cut" performance which is around 9500 rpm on this saw as I recall.

So if the rev limiter starts to work somewhere between 13,400 and 13,600 rpms, how do we tune this saw properly? I`ve concluded that I have to compromise and tune the 575 at 13,300 with the tach so that I don`t hit the limiter although maybe I should tach it at 13,400, I`m just trying to buy a margin of safety incase the limiter starts working at a lower rpm and I erroneously tune the saw lean, but the consequence is that the saw is probably tuned over rich. I don`t recall anyone saying that the 575 runs at 13k in the cut, thats just wj being smart since he should understand exactly what I`m trying to describe with his vast experience in race saws.

I assume that David_c is stating that his Dan Henry 372 has had it`s port timing altered enough that it still four strokes at 14,700 while a stock 372 often stops four stroking around 13.7 to 13.8 in the few that I`ve had. That sort of shift in the powerband when it`s free revving does correlate to a higher "in the cut" engine speed doesn`t it?

Russ

David_c

yes that was what I ment to say Russ it is four stroking at 14,700. sorry for any confusing.

ladylake

Russ
Must have missread your orginal post, sounded to me like it was wasting fuel and misfiring when cutting.   I can see where it would be hard to tune if it's running up against the rev limiter.  Maybe Husky should set it a little higher.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

David_c

it does like to drink ;)but no misfiring. runs  8)

Thank You Sponsors!