iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain full of dirt

Started by woodmiser, May 09, 2005, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I like the beat the dirt off by" wacking him over the head with it". It is truely amazing the "professionals " out there cutting trees who have no clue as to proper chain maint. and sharpening, I know a few and they ruined one of mine by not sharpening it and rounding back the full chisel edge >:(, needless to say they have worn out their welcome. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ernie

Woodmiser

With friends like that have you thought of becoming a hermit?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

jokers

Regarding cleaning saws in a dishwasher, remove the ignition coil first. You also need to be positive that no water got into the engine. I`d probably put the piston at the bottom of it`s stroke to seal the crankcase and then work on sealing the exhaust port. Getting water out of the top end would be easier than removing it from the base and any chemical scouring of the lubricating oil would seem to be less immediately damaging to the top than it would be on the bearings.

I know of one guy said to be a saw builder who claims that his saws arrive at the owner's home pristine and new looking because he runs them through the dishwasher after building them. I also know of one brand new 372 that he built that grenaded on it`s first tank of gas from what he claims was a bad crank bearing. Coincidence?

About the dirty chain, you almost have to assume that the saw will return with a rocked out chain if you loan it out. Think about it, who takes care of somone else's equipment as well as they should and how many people who don`t own saws know anything about their care and maintenance?

I`d chalk this one up as a learning experience and refuse to loan the saw again unless theĀ  person borrowing it supplied the chain up front. Simply tell the person, "Chains are very reasonable, you can easily purchase one for less than the cost of renting a saw like mine for an afternoon. Here is where you can get one.....". You`re still being generous because who knows what undue wear he is putting on the bar and powerhead.

Russ

rebocardo

> You`re still being generous because who knows what undue wear he is putting on the bar
> and powerhead.

Yea, someone putting the saw into the dirt probably is not going to be using the proper cuts or wedges and jamming the top of the bar in the kerf and then just yanking it out when it gets stuck. Worse thing will be when your friend kills himself with your saw.

Scuba_Dave

I think loaning out would include a "Oh, it needs a new chain 1st, they are like $$. If you can pay for one, then you can borrow it"
I usually try to return stuff in better shape then I recd it.

Thank You Sponsors!