iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

apple wood

Started by woodhound, March 10, 2005, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhound

Let's just start with thankyou, been lurking in the sideline long enough, just glad to know that i'm not the only one that lives and dreams about wood. I think I found my new home.  I'm in the process of design, and aquire  stages of building a band mill, no pics yet that will come latter, I promise(know you love pics).  But my question !!  I have about a hundred logs of apple from 2 to three feet in width and 3 to seven feet long.  I will endseal them asap, they are frozen now so i don't think checking will be a problem yet.  How would you cut these?  They should all be croch wood(bucked just below the limbs). I know apple is hard to dry and they will be air dryed in a barn till i build a kiln.  There is a lot of work for the number of bdf per log and wondering is it even worth it.  I know you don't often see apple of this size.  Has anyone had any experience with apple? 
        ps is the stump worth anything from apple, there is  200 acres bulldozed where i got the logs?
Thanks paul

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum woodhound. :)

You might want to take a look at this very recent discussion on the drying forum on just this subject.  Seemd like apple in a contrary wood to dry...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10782.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Woodhound, Welcome to the forum. 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

Wolfhound, welcome.  I used to live just outside of Paris, Ont.  I often cut wood in the St. George area when I was working there.

Tom

Back40x2

Woodhound,

If you don't want it just let me know ;)   I will take a road trip up from Maine to get it from you. ;)

It depends on if you have a market for it or not; or if it's just for your own use.  I have a lot people that buy it from me real small.  Box makers, wood turners, craft makers, etc.,   

It's beautiful wood.  It also tends to be quite curly.  Plus you say alot of it is crotch 8) 8) 8)  Cha Ching ;D  I would definately cut it.

It is hard as hell to dry it, including air dry.  Lots of times it checks as soon as I cut it within a day.  It has to do alot with the natural stresses of the tree itself. 

Just be patient and you will end up with some PERDY WOOD ;)

Here are some pics of some I cut this past summer.

My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Paul_H

Back40
That is really nice wood!

Woodhound,
Welcome to the forum.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Back40x2

Paul,      Thanks.   ;)   

Those particular sets of Apple were Boomatches w/crotch to boot  8) 8) 8)

I did not take me long to sell those.  1 guy bought both sets for $165.00.

Like I said to WoodHound, I would definately cut them!!!! ;) ;) ;)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

sigidi

Welcome Woodhound you lurker turned poster ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

woodhound

Thanks everyone, must have missed that section in drying.  Sounds like a nightmare to dry but after seeing those photos it just makes me want to get my mill built so i can open them up and see what i got.  Back40 would you flich cut the logs, i've heard that it helps stop warping having the bark on, a trade off i guess for chance of bugs(can be treated).  I have a buddy with a norwood i might have take a few logs and get them opened up so i can spend a hour learning how to post photos.  Thanks Paul

tnlogger

woodhound welcome you couldn't find a better home  ;)
gene

Back40x2

Woodhound,

Yes I would recommend that most of the time, especially with the crotch pieces.  I you have what appears to be a nice straight log, by all means cut it into 8/4 slabs.

definately cut it thou.  It will be worth the time in my opinion! ;)

Thank You Sponsors!