iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 575

Started by lucky_cutter, March 10, 2005, 12:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_cutter

The husky 575 has found its way in a few threads lately. Today I finally spotted one at the local dealer. They have sold about 14 so far. 7 have been modified from the gate. The other 7 were ran awhile and were returned to be modified. So far the only complaint they heard was the noticably lower power to weight issue. Hence, the modifications.

Some of the observations I noted and hopefully remembered correctly are:
They have noticed that when starting, if you open the throttle the saw won't start.  So...as far as controls, when starting, close the choke and touche nothing else but the starter cord handle.
The 575 has more torque than a 372 at slower speeds and runs a bit smoother than a 372.
The 575 runs cleaner than a 372 because some of the unburned gasses in the exhaust are recycled through the moter.
The people at the shop seem to think the 575 is not a finished product and may see a few (most likely minor) changes in the near future.

Now for the questions.
1) When I asked them about modifying the 575, they mentioned porting, some shaving and giving them a new ignition that bypassed the limiter. Is bypassing the limiter kosher, or a good idea.?
2) They also said that a modified saw has its life expectancy reduced by somewhere between 1/3-1/2 of an unmodified saw. Has this been the experience of others?

jokers

Hi lucky_cutter,

I`m not so sure that a modified saw is going to last 1/3 to 1/2 less than an unmodified saw unless the air filter was defeated but there is no doubt some trade off in longevity. The flip side is that much more can be accomplished in the running hours of the modified saw. Since the hours in a day are unchanging, being able to get the most done in the available time is more appealing to me. At any rate, a properly modified saw should last a long time, in fact I know pro cutters getting a couple of years of daily use from them. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

What ignition is that shop substituting for the 575 ignition?

Russ

lucky_cutter

Hi Russ,
I didn't think to ask about the exact ignition. I was kind of hung up on the "by-passing the limiter" speal at the time. They also said it would cost more to modify a 575 than a 372.

I have the mind like a steel trap. (thats been left in the rain too long)

jokers

Hi again lucky_cutter,

Can you name the shop that you were at? Is there any way that they would talk to someone they don`t know?

Thanks, Russ

lucky_cutter

I believe the name is LnL equipment. They are always friendly and are usually free to give out info as they know it.  They have always treated me well and were more than patient when I go in and ask a lot of questions. Some shops around here are rather cold or even rude if you are not in their "inner circle".

jokers

Thanks for the feedback lucky_cutter. What town is LnL in? Got a phone # by any chance?

Russ

lucky_cutter

Sorry, I should have told you before.  Dallas Oregon.  I can't find where my wife hid the phone book. (must be by the remote control)

jokers

Thanks lucky, I`ll find `em.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!