Ernie

Here is a pic of a wild boar taken near Wellington NZ

Tipped the scales at 97 Kilograms or about 214 pounds

How's that for a pig roast 8) 8) 8)

Here's the story from the local paper

Wild boar's reign cut short
09 March 2005
By ANN-MARIE JOHNSON

The wild boar of Karori has met his match – slain by a couple of good keen Wellington men.

The beast, believed to be the ringleader of wild pigs that terrorised Karori residents last year, was finally tracked down and killed by local hunters Colin Toft and Sam Watson.

Weighing 97kg, it was one of the largest Mr Toft had ever caught. It was also quite old, judging by the fact one of its tusks had grown so long it had curled back and pierced its cheek, he said.

Wild pigs took up residence in bush behind Karori last May. They were seen on Wrights Hill Reserve and were also disturbed while uprooting residents' gardens, terrifying children.

Greater Wellington regional council said it was unusual to come across wild pigs so close to a residential area. They had probably travelled from the south coast.

The council and Conservation Department trapped some of the pigs – believed to number about 10 – but Mr Toft, a regular possum hunter in the area, said he had seen signs some were still on the loose.

He caught a 68kg boar in the area last week and knew from its injuries it had recently been in a fight with another boar.

So for the past few days, the hunt has been on. "He eluded us a few times but we just hit him today...he was in absolutely rubbishy country where I was doing the possums."

Mr Toft's four dogs finally cornered the boar. "The dogs are good and if the dogs get him under control he doesn't go anywhere. He ran a bit but once they hit the gully he was too big to get out of it."

He and Mr Watson finished the animal off with a knife before taking five hours to carry it out of the gorse-and-blackberry-covered area.

Mr Toft said their success catching the boar came from knowing the area so well. "I just love the outdoors," he said.

The boar is now destined to be processed into sausages by a local butcher.

I don't have the guts to finish something like this off in true Kiwi tradition with only a knife  :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Paul_H

Now I understand the term "piggyback"

Good story Ernie.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

We've got a troop of Rednecks around Tallahassee Florida that run down wild pigs barehanded.  I don't think they even use dogs.  They chase them through the Live Oak thickets, catch them, castrate them, and turn them loose.    Next year, or the the year after, they run them down, catch them and put them in a pen,(like a dog box) on the truck, take them home, feed them and then butcher them.   It's too much of a self-endangering sport for me.  :)  Tuskers like that can put a real hurtin' on you.

Texas Ranger

Here in my part of Texas there is a group of no brainers that go out to west Texas and hunt javelin with knives.  A javelin is a miniature hog with an attitude and tushes that rip a dog, or person, pretty good.  I thought that a real bad idea till a short movie appeared in my mail box.  Showed a camera set to record a deer feeder, you hear an ol' boy cuss a little, the camera shakes as he gets down out of the stand, he then creeps up behind the javelin and kicks it square in the tail, hog squeals, and runs off.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

Sounds like a guy I met recently whose been known to, while scuba diving, sneak up on gators and hold on to em :o ::).  Says a 10 footer will really roll you around 8).  I saw a group of wild pigs just west of Silver Springs on Highway 40.  It appeared to be a family group of a mama and 5 or 6 little ones.  The little ones weren't much smaller than her.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Doc

I met a knifemaker out of the Carolinas several years ago who raised a cross between a domestic pig and some kind of Russian razorback for hunting. He woudl turn them loose on his place at about 9 months old and hunt them the next season. he used nothing but "a dawg and a knife".

I was laughing as he was telling us this and forging a blade. he rolled up a sleeve, and said "You have to have two things when hunting a pig. You have to have a good dawg and a good knife. If the dawg doesn't know how to grab the pig you are gonna get it. if the knife breaks you are gonna get it. the dawg has got to be smart enough to go over the head of the pig and grab it by the far ear and pull back exposin the neck. You have to be quick enough to cut that neck before the pig throws the dawg. "

I thought he was crazy. Now I am finding that there is another knifemaker in Tennessee that is doing hunting trips on his place the same way. Big boars, and big knives. I don't think I am crazy enough for that one.....

Doc

Ernie

Doc

It sure would add some extra excitement to the FF pig roast. ;D ;D ;D

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Doc

What part of it? Watching a DanG fool chase around a wild pig with a knife? Watching the DanG fool withthe knife run from the wild pig? Or the smart dawg who is smart enough to sit down outside the pen?

See that last part to me woudl tell me I had a smart dawg.

Doc

Thank You Sponsors!