iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where can the logging/chainsaw safety courses (hands on) be found?

Started by Doc, March 07, 2005, 02:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

I am in Alabama, and have yet to be able to find anything like the "Game of Logging" course here. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Common sense goes a long way, but I want to know what common sense doesn't teach, but an experienced teacher does. I kinda like the idea of keeping my head on my shoulders for another 36 years....

Doc

Jeff

I suggest picking one of the orgs close to you, listed on this page:
http://www.gameoflogging.com/Training_Organizations.htm
and contacting them. They should be able to point you to training opportunities that you can attend. Certainly you might need to travel a bit to attend, but isn't keeping your head for another 36 years a pretty good travel incentive? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Doc

I have no problem traveling to one at all. it has been finding one within a reasonable distance that has been a bit of a task. michigan, and the New England states are a bit of a trip. I was thinking I may hav eto bite the bullet and go to one of those.....

Yep, I am kinda partial to my head. It has been with me for 36 years, and I want to see if I can keep it from being broken, taken off, or stolen for another 36.

I am kinda partial to having all of my appendages too, which is why I asked. Who better to learn from than someone who has been doing it the right way for a number of years, and has seen what can happen when you don't.

I may ask for a location of a climbing school as well, if there is not one listed on this site.

I do appreciate the link

Doc

Looking at the list of training outfits, a trip to Ohio or Missouri may be in order in the near future.

Can anyone who has taken one of these classes give me an idea of how long the classes are? A day? a week?

Doc

Jeff

Let me see if I can get one of the MATSIF guys to post. Might take a day or two to round them up.

Doc

I'ma watchin close!

Would be nice to find a class closer to home, but I am not put off by having to travel a bit. I still am curious as to how long the classes are.

Doc

Doc

Jeff

Dale Hatfield

Hello
My name is Dale Hatfield
I'm a game of logging Instructor.  I also teach chainsaw safety and logging tree care at Hocking college.
The GOL classes are one day each with 4 levels usually with a a few weeks time between levels. giving you a chance to practice on what you have learned.
I would say that  most trainers if they had  a week of training going on would let you attend a few days just because of travel  distance.  But i don't know if they would  pass you through higher levels an award  certificate.
Joe Glenn is the trainer for Missouri,  Hes a great trainer and a great hand in the woods.
You might check with local pulp and paper mills as they usually have a training  .
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Flyboy

8) 8) Doc,
Just my 2 cents. I took The Game of Logging Course up here in Vermont about 5 years ago. Best money I ever spent! I been workin in the woods a good part of my life and it's a wonder I've lived this long.
It's well worth it!
I got a Bro - in - law that lives in Huntsville, works for NASA @ Redstone, got a bunch of Kin up around Minor Hill Tenn. ;)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Thank You Sponsors!