iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Sprucegum, March 06, 2005, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

Good evening , at least it is here :)

I have been lurking and learning for a while which gave me the impetus to put an offer on 160 acres of mixed woodland. If I get it I will need to learn a lot more in a hurry! My goal is to harvest just enough to pay the taxes and the expenses involved in improving the timber stand. It may sound childish , but all I want to do is grow real big trees.

Thanks for being here

WH_Conley

Welcome, sounds like you already got the bug. :D :D :D
Bill

Jeff

Welcome Sprucegum, nothing wrong with growing big trees!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

populus

Welcome, Sprucegum. Yeah, this is a great place to learn. Glad you're planning to grow big trees. On the other hand, then you have to wait longer to saw them up  :).  Once you have sawdust in your lungs, you want to cut up everything you see!

Ernie

Welcome Sprucegum, the best place on the net to learn from knowledgeable, friendly and very patient people.  160 acres should keep you busy for a day or two :D :D :D :D

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom Sawyer

Welcome Srpucegum.  Nice to have another Canadian on the board. 8)  Which part of our great country are you from?

sprucebunny

Hey, SPRUCEgum, Howdy ;D and welcome :)

I really liked that stuff when I was a kid....
maybe I'm still a kid...
I want to grow big trees , too, but i might be too old... :(

Good luck with your offer ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

genedieter

Welcome! You'll LOVE this place!

GD

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Sprucegum! 8)  Pull that empty nailkeg over here by the potbelly stove and stay and talk awhile. You'll find a bunch of nice people here with a lot of humor! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

farmerdoug

Welcome Sprucegum

I lurked here for quite awhile too before joining also.  These guys and gals are plum full of help and info.  I hope you stick around and grow with us.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Sprucegum

Thank you all for your warm welcome

Tom, I am in North-central Alberta, just a couple tanks of gas west of you.

Sprucebunny, you are never too old to grow a tree.

I took my kids and grandkids out to view the property today and went through a whole lot of "if we get it" plans. Had fun trying to locate the south-east corner but never did nail it for sure, the snow is still kneedeep in the bush.

fstedy

WELCOME  WELCOME WELCOME  WELCOMEGreat bunch of folks here. You'll even be growin trees here before long.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Fraxinus

Welcome, Sprucegum.  BTW, that's the only kind of gum I ever chew. ;)
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

TN_man

A hearty welcome to ya. I know that you will enjoy your stay.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Jeff

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 06, 2005, 11:14:05 PM
I want to grow big trees , too, but i might be too old... :(

You are never to old Joan. You should never not plant a tree for that reason. You should see the size of the trees my dad planted the month before he passed away.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

Welcome Sprucegum,

Trees are a gift we give to the next generation. That's why I try to plant a few each year.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of forest do you have up there in Alberta? I would imagine Conifers, but maybe you have hardwoods too.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

tnlogger

welcome spucegum you could not find a better home that here.
gene

sawguy21

Howdy neighbour and welcome aboard. You will find this forum very informative and at times, hilarious.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sprucegum

Just out of curiousity, what kind of forest do you have up there in Alberta? I would imagine Conifers, but maybe you have hardwoods too.

I have a nice mix:
   Trembling aspen or poplar, black poplar and cottonwood, birch, white spruce, black spruce, a few pine trees.... I haven't seen all of it yet!

sigidi

Hey there Sprucegum,

welcome to the best board on the net!!

You'll find many gems of info round here and have a great time laughing with the comedians we have in every post :D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!