iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

auction

Started by jph, March 06, 2005, 01:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

Viewed the monthly collective auction of plant this morning, left a bid on this nice winch.

I am now thinking perhaps I should have had a go for this Zetor, it looks a good size for 20 acres of woodland.

With four wheel drive and dual wheels should get plenty of traction but the reserve was a bit high at £2500 ($4800)

Corley5

That's a nifty looking tractor.  Don't see 'em like that around here ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

I went to a farm auction down in the Delta  saturdays a week ago.  It weren't as big as I expected and mostly the tractors were pretty junky. Weren't wanting to buy a tractor anyways, mostly I wanted to look through the junk. :)

I did manage to snag a big ole napa battery charger that looked like brand new.

The same company tole me they was having a big auction in April with two large farms selling out and a couple of factories selling off machinery. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

Went to my first live auction of the year this past Sat.
Have three more I want to go to in the next week and a half.
The big one is this coming Sat., 5 rings at once!  ;D

jflytle

Watch yourself folks, them auctions can be addictive. Yes I am in the twelve step program (wife imposed). The season is just ramping up around here. I was off at one this weekend as well. Definitely have to know what things are realistically worth and stick to that price (in your head). I have watched lots of folks get sucked into a bidding war only to wind up paying way to much for something they can get new at the store for pennies.

Having said all of that, BOY I LIKE AUCTIONS !!!! 8) 8)
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

redpowerd

is that mini-steiger a zetor? or a stiener?

it would make for the most ridiculus lawn mower on the block.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

jph

It's  a Zetor, made I think in eastern Europe, I am not sure on the availability of spares though. It had only done 250 hours and was like new.

maple flats

Around here it would go at auction much higher than $4800. What do you suppose shipping would run to NY State? What is the horsepower? Looks pretty good to me, the duallys would help reduce compaction but they are spaced out rather far. Think I'd reduce that space if possible to make it fit thru the woods without making such a wide roadway.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Furby

Shipping from Wales to NY State ???
I'm interested in hearing that.

farmerdoug

You think the shipping will be high just do not forget the custom's fees and tariffs plus the custom broker's fees.  A friend of mine's wife works for a custom broker and she said you would not beleive what it costs to import stuff.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

iain

jph zetors are from chech good machines and a good dealer network in the uk

iain

jph

Thanks for that Iain,  I am tempted by this tractor, it still sits in the auction yard unsold. I think I will go up there on Monday and give it a good test drive around their yard.

Ed_K

Check the clutch real good, and look at the rear differentials to see if they have had work done. The starters have problems too. Ours sat a lot.
Ed K

Furby

Customs is what I figured would cost the most.
Just didn't know if it was a good enough of a deal to cover that all.

Edit: Made a good buy at an auction today. An old cushman cart for $30. Pretty rusty, and needs batteries, but looks like it's do able.
Anyone know where I can find a wiring dia. for one of these ???

redpowerd

that zetor looks like its set up for row crops :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

farmerdoug

Jph,

Did you get the winch you put a bid on? ???
That Zetor looks like it is set up for row crops like Redpowerd stated .  The duals are probably clamped on through the drums with long bolts which you may be able to remove the drums for a closer spacing. :-\
Doug
Fargo, MI

jph

Yes , we got the winch, a Fransgaurd 600 , as good as new with a really good long rope. 8) 8) 8)
Had another look at the zetor tractor, the auctioneer could not find the right key, we tried hot wireing it but could not get it it fired  up, we could not find a heat button. There were buttons and levers all over the cab , no idea what they all did , just too much to go wrong, so we decided it was too  much of a gamble  and will continue our search for the ideal small woodland tractor.
Small and stable,four wheel drive,  front loader, cab,  if it is Japanese it must be in very good condition as parts are so expensive. Any other advice on what I should be looking for?

Bro. Noble

We use a FWD tractor which is about 55hp.  It's usually big enough to do what we ask,  but is small enough to get around in the woods fairly well.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

hillbilly

Ive got a45 4x4 w/front end loader i'll have to get you some pics of the hollers  and hills that we have had it in ,it works good for us .
hillbilly

bassfisher

That zetor is a 55HP 4WD made in former czeckoslovakia.  Good to excellent unit and all those extra wheels can be re-spaced by turning the hubs inward.  Great bushlot machine, very fuel (deisel) effecient and powerfull, this is the best of the bunch (which also includes the Belarus<russia>, Universal <romania>, Ursus<poland>)
Cheap at that price, wish i had an auction like that round here!
Unlike Chinese mini tractors that will not start in our weather up here, these are excellent units sold here in canada with kerosene heaters for engine and hydraulics.   12V electrical system that uses 24V to start in cold weather.
I have long wondered why the czech's did not end up taking over the entire eastern block with its superior machinery and technology.
"Waste not time, for time is the stuff that life is made up of." B.Franklin
Stihl 045AV 034AV--Stihl 026 Husky 65-- XL-76-- Echo 3450  Case 580SE JDeere 440 ICD
Bancroft-the mineral capital of canada & one of the last places that legally allows men to stretch (trapped) beavers without spousal permit

farmerdoug

I agree on Czech's quality.  If you ever get to shoot one of their Czech CZ 9 MM handguns you will love it.   :)

Do you know why they never took over the rest of the eastern block countries? ??? 
Because they were always told by the Russians that the Czech's in the mail. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

jph

Well,  following the good recommendations for the Zetor I could resist it no longer, managed to get a further £100 of the price so it cost me £2000 plus VAT. It seems a brilliant machine, with pto and linkage at both back and front , articulated body and a  good turning circle. I have worked out what most of it's levers and switches do, well all except one, I will post a photo of this device tomorrow.
It's faults are an oil leak  near the front linkage , at first I thought it was from the seal on the ram but it turned out just to be from one of the pipe couplings.
The other problem is I can not get it to engage the pto, the lever would not move at all, after  a bit of oil on the linkage the lever now moves but still won't engage, any suggestiong? I think the problem arises from lack of use as I suspect the pto was never used by the previous owners. I don't know about row crop work , the radiator was well block up with what looked like horse hair.

I am thinking of making  some forks to fit on the front linkage to lift small logs perhaps using the extra hydraulic piping and a small ram  to clamp them on.
John

tnlogger

John looks like you have a fine machine there. congrats and good pics too
gene

iain

Yellow page to your nearest dealer, and ask i've found most of em really helpful, and kind of into their machines

iain

Corley5

That is a neat looking machine.  It kinda reminds me of the Holders that some of the towns around here have for snow removal and mowing except their engine is in the rear.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!