iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a sawmill - with pic's (I hope)

Started by jrokusek, March 06, 2005, 12:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

HOPEFULLY you will see some pictures with this post.  I spent about 2 hours learning how to resize and get pictures into my album. 

Anyway, for some reason I have this burning desire to build a sawmill.  I'd buy one, but I really don't have a NEED for this thing, just a WANT.  After buying some plans off ebay, looking at every picture on this and other forums, and with the help from the guys at http://www.diybandmill.com/ I have a rolling carriage.   Here are some pictures because I know everyone likes pictures.....especially me!

Just making sure I could slide the head up and down.  It's in the raised position.

Here are the casters with a temporary brace tacked on just to make sure everything stays paralell.

She rolls!   I'm amazed how easily this thing rolls considering the weight.

If anyone has any pointers, suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear 'em.

Jim

KiwiCharlie

Well its looking good to me so far!  Make sure you keep posting pics as you move through the process.  There must be a huge satisfaction factor with a project like this. Excellent!
Im not a miller, so I cant affer any advice really, but I will still follow this thread with interest!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

pigman

The mill has a good start. You did good with the pics.  8) It took me two years on the fourm before I was able to post picks. :P
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ironwood

Looks Good. At this point it could also become a roling stand for a cyclone, should your desire change. ;)

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

GF

I also built my own sawmill you can see some of the photos at http://www.twistedoaksawmill.com select the phot section.  Its alot of fun to build your own.  Good luck.

jrokusek

WOW.  Somehow I have a feeling mine will be a bit more crude than yours!  I'm guessing you've built more than one?  I'm definitely having fun building this thing.  So far there hasn't been much aggravation.....except with steel prices!

Jim

D._Frederick

J-,

Are you building from plans from E-bay or your own design? I have looked at some of the plans on E-bay but they have never shown a mill built and operating from their plans.  I would be upset to build from someones un proven design and find that it doesn't work well.

D._Frederick

GF,

I looked at your mill pictures and would be interested in knowing more about your design of the log clamps how it works?

jrokusek

I'm somewhat using the plans I bought off Ebay.  Mostly just using them as a general reference.  For example, the set of plans I bought used blade guide bearings that were turned axle hubs from a trailer.  Sheesh....just walking into a machine shop is going to cost you a few bucks!

Again, the plans are just for general reference.  I think I've looked at almost every sawmill picture on the internet and read most of the threads on this and other forums that pertain to building a sawmill.  I'm just reverse engineering what works for everyone else.  Hopefully by the time I'm done I won't have more than $600 into this beast.   I do, however, have access to a decent scrap pile for some of the misc. parts and pieces.  I also enjoy buying odd metal pieces that are often overlooked.  For example, the back half of the carriage is part of a jello gellatin display rack that I bought from a surplus store for $30. 

If I decide I REALLY like milling I'll buy a commercial mill or build something like GF.  Man that does look like an incredible machine. 

Jim

Quote from: D._Frederick on March 07, 2005, 01:33:46 PM
J-,

Are you building from plans from E-bay or your own design? I have looked at some of the plans on E-bay but they have never shown a mill built and operating from their plans.  I would be upset to build from someones un proven design and find that it doesn't work well.

Thank You Sponsors!