iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perfect Bar & Chain oil bottle

Started by Lobo, March 05, 2005, 04:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo

Attached is a real good size bar & Chain oil bottle and it costs me nothing as my wife uses up a couple of these per month. It has a capacity of 1.5 liters or 51 ounces for my American friends. It has a fairly large hole to squeeze in to a saw oil reservoir in no time at all.

it is actually a clean washed internally empty bottle of VIM detergent.

Works really great instead of gallons, pails and funnel.

If you look closely you can see a white pouring nipple stick out of the cap at the top, when closed and dropped back in to the cap it sits flush in to the cap top and does not leak.

ontario026

Good idea,  I recently bought a canadian tire sports water bottle for a couple bucks,  holds about a litre,  works slick, but find the hole in it to be too small, takes too much time to fill the resevoir,  I'll have to  try a bottle like you....

Matthew

oldsaw

I got a screw on top with a toggle spout at a hardware store for a couple of bucks.  It has a nozzle that is about 2" (5cm) long.  It fits perfectly on the gallon jugs of chain oil I have, allows for good flow and controlwhether I'm filling the cavernous tank of my 066, or the thimble sized tank in my &%$* Poulan/Sears.
When you are done, you just push the nozzle over and it seals tight.

No wasting time or making a mess filling other bottles.  Sometimes, life is good.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dan_Shade

i use a gear oil bottle, with the cone tips on them.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hydro2

353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Engineer

I poke two small holes in the foil cap on the gallon jug of bar oil and use that as is.  One for flow, one for air.  Works fine, but it gets a bit messy after about half the gallon is gone.

I have honestly never thought about using a different method of dispensing bar oil.  Maybe I need to look into that.  We use a lot of 200 ounce detergent bottles (big family) and they have a neat little pushbutton spout that shuts off very cleanly.  Maybe that's a good solution.

Glenn

I have always used bar oil right out of the gallon on all my saws - stihl, husky and jonsered, but last year I bought a new in the box partner p52 (around 1985 I think) and its a nightmare to pour gas and oil into.  I have to set the chain break and use a funnel for the oil.  I was looking at the amsoil website and they have a neat pump that fits right onto the oil bottle.  You wouldn't want to haul it around the bush but it's fine for the landing or home use.  Here's the link: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx

Egon

I use a large ketchup bottle with the flip top.

Egon

Buzz-sawyer

Does the ketchup work as good as bar oil? ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

wiam

Buzz, works almost as good and better on a dog for dinner. ;)

Will

Buzz-sawyer

I have some Lakota  friends in South Dakota that would agree...they ONLY fix dog for you for dinner.....to honor as a friend :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Egon

Aww come on guys ;D 

The ketchup is for seasoning the bear after he gets sawn down off of his tree.

Egon :D :)

mometal77

I usually change the oil on my car and let it sit then use a cheese cloth. I usually use with oil the small jugs u can get from wally world that have the gear oil in them and also use a white screw on bleach bottle easier to find.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

StihlDoc

You should never use used motor oil for chain lube. Bar temps run 50 degrees higher and the fine abrasives in the oil will eventually ruin your oil pump and accelerate wear to your bar and chain. Also, there is no tackifier asdditive in automotive crankcase oil, so most of the oil is being thrown off the end of the bar and never gets to the bottom side of the bar where it is needed the most.

mometal77

stihl thanks for the info makes sense about fine abrasives.  And bar temp and stickyness of the oil.  I am but 27 have been doing the same thing since i was 14.  Still learning why i am here.  I usually use magnets in with the cheese cloth. Reminds me in ww1 most scrapnal was pulled out of eyes witha flat magnet i helped a kid out in college that had a piece of metal in his eye.  But i have never been hurt by a chainsaw yet raised in a home where i had to chop and saw my own wood for my family.  Growing up and all.  Also my dad  build his own small hydro electric plant.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

fishhuntcutwood

I use two 32 oz. Gatorade bottles tied together and slung over my shoulder.  When those are empty, it's usally time for a break and the walk back to the bigger jugs to get more is a welcome relief by then.   smiley_sweat_drop

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

sprucebunny

I discovered that the top from a bottle of carpenter's chalk fits the gallon of oil top.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!