iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air drying pin oak

Started by Robert R, March 05, 2005, 12:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Ok, I am a moronic beginner.  I want to get some 8/4 pin oak and air dry it in a shed.  It will be out of sun and weather but in a garage with no doors so it will dry to ambient outdoor moisture.  Its intended use will be in the interior of a barn.  How do I build my stack?  I haven't a clue.  Thanks--it might be easiest to just direct me to a link or something because I realize it will probably be a lengthy explanation. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Frank_Pender

First of all make sure that you place a good layerof plastic under the lumber if you place it on the cement in a garage, that wayyou will not have the  lumber wicking moisture through the cement.  Place it at least 4 inches off the floor and I would use at least 1 x 1 stickers 18 to 20 inches apart as well as not directly above one another as you layer the lumber.  I always try to offset ech layer of sticker, except the very inds of the lumber.  Placing the stickers directly at the ends of the lumber helps cut down  on end checking.  Make sure you use some sort of sealer to aid in end chelcking.  If the room is fre of moving air I would definetly place a 24 inch box famn in the room to circulate the air as the aid will become stagnet and may cause some moulding to occure in the room, due the moisture in the lumber that is escaping.
Frank Pender

Ianab

What Frank said...

And you could download this PDF from one of our member's web site.
http://www.scottbanbury.com/dryingyourlumber.pdf
Has diagrams of how to stack etc..

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KiwiCharlie

Hey Ian,
Thats a good PDF that!  Thanks for the link.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

footer

Am I missing something here? I thought the stickers should be placed on top of one another, and that you don't want to stack green lumber in an enclosed building????

Ianab

Quoteyou don't want to stack green lumber in an enclosed building?

Correct, you need some airflow.  The original poster said his shed had no doors, and Frank suggested using fans to move the air. That should work OK. I'm not sure about the offset stickers, I try and align mine vertically, but it doesn't have to be exact, and offsetting them slightly may aid drying and reduce sticker stain?

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

There's a lot of weight on those sticks as you get down to the bottom of the pack. If you offset too much, you will have something like a wavy potato chip.

Thank You Sponsors!