iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is their anyway to cut down and reweld blades?

Started by Rod, March 04, 2005, 08:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

The reason I ask is a guy just came by,and he has 70 blades that are to small for his mill and to big for my mill. :) :)

Tom

Most any Blade shop will do it.   I used to get blades rewelded for $1.50 each but that was 10 years ago.  I'll bet you could still get it done for under $3 apiece.   

You need a blade shop to do it though.  Blades larger than 3/4 inch require a very expensive ZAP welder for a decent job.  They are more money than the hobbiest or even small shop would want to spend.

Rod

Tom,you mean like were they sharpen saw blades?

Tom

Yes,  Most large towns and cities have at least one place that sells industrial equipment and/or also sharpens saw blades.  If they sell band blades then they almost assuredly have a ZAP Welder :)

Rockn H

Does anyone know of a saw shop that welds blades now?  I have a friend who is a welder, keeps wanting to weld some blades for me, says can use a technique that will last.  I'm a little skiddish.  Wouldn't mind getting it done if I wasn't the guiney pig. ;)

bberry

Anyone out there try scarf joints and silver soldering(brazing)? If carbide tips brazed on can take such extreme torture then I would think band mill blades could be silver brazed. I haven't tried doing that on my mill but have done that on band blades for a 20 inch band saw in a school shop for 25 years. We also had the Zap welder but it was touchy with the high carbon and alloy blades. many broke on the weld. How many of you get breaks on the weld area?  Annealing blades that are air hardening is tricky. The scarf joints when properly done worked longer.

sawhead

Most of my own experience has been with wide bands but I would think that the procedure should be similar. The mills I have worked in, the filers used oxy/acy welding to weld the bands, but some have gone to tig or mig now. This might provide some info on the subject.http://www.simondsinternational.com/wideband/chapter_x.htm
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Rod

OK,I think I'll pass on the idea of cutting them down.If anyone needs 70 blades that are 13'2'' he wants $6 each and they all have been sharpened..I don't know what kind they are.

oldsaw

That could make a difference.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sawwood

I received some blades from RL and had them cut down to fit JR
Norewood. Lenox has a blade sales co here in KC and they cut
down my blades for $7.50 a blade. Did a super job so any one
that need this done go to there web site and see if they have a
site close to them.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!