iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 310

Started by HARLEYRIDER, March 04, 2005, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARLEYRIDER

can i put a 12" bar and chain on a ms310?   ( 3/8   chain )
I'm gonna be attendind a log building school, and a 12", and 18"bar are reccomended.
Or maybe its a good reason to buy a 026 ???

Thanks
Greenwoods Timberworks

KiwiCharlie

That would work fine.  Should cut super well with the shorter bar.
The 026 is a great saw.  If weight (in a log building situation) is a consideration, that might be a better option.
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

HARLEYRIDER

I thought so

my 310 is 13 pounds , and a 026 or 260 with a 12" bar is 10 pounds. 3 pounds doesn't sound like much, but I'm shure i'll feel it at the end of the day.

Thats It....I just talked myself into buying a 026.  :)  It doesn't hurt to have more than one saw

Thanks Chas
Greenwoods Timberworks

KiwiCharlie

You wont regret the 026/260.  They are a great little bulletproof pro saw.  Should sing with a 12" bar.
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

You might ask about a chain saw carving bar with the narrow tip.
You can get those in shorter lengths as well.
The narrow tip might be better for carving logs.

Lobo

Quote from: HARLEYRIDER on March 04, 2005, 07:51:16 PM

Or maybe its a good reason to buy a 026

You are just going to love a MS260, one of the best saws ever made.

Lightweight, powerful enough for average tasks and fun to use.

jokers

Whatever saw you decide to take to school, make sure that your carb is properly adjusted, as in slightly rich, and that you are using fresh fuel with plenty of good quality oil in it. I`ve run every common fuel/oil ratio up to 50:1 and have reverted to 32:1 because it protects the cylinder and piston better at partial throttle operation as you will find if "sweeping" and it`s much better for the crank and big end bearings.

I agree with Lobo et al whom have suggested that you will be very happy with the ms260 if it is properly cared for. You will especially appreciate the lower weight of the 260 vs the 310 when log building.

Where is this log building school that you are going to attend?

Russ

HARLEYRIDER

Thanks for the info

I got a line on a new 260,  now I just have to find a carving bar like kevin suggests

I've wanted a 026  10 years ago, but I had a old homelite that just wouldn't die.  Just doing happy homeowner/ firewood cutting.  Then I bought the 310 cause I thought its a good all-around firewood saw.  But I think it will be too big for cutting precise notches in log building
Greenwoods Timberworks

Thank You Sponsors!