iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Derange'o

Started by Kevin, May 10, 2002, 05:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

swampwhiteoak

That's a good one Kevin.  I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

swampwhiteoak

I have now looked at the homepage and other links.  This is good stuff.  Unfortunately we all missed the rally this morning to end sales on federal lands.  But, we still have time to get there for the "Action Camp" tomorrow and Sunday.  What do you learn at action camp?  According to the website:

Tree Climbing Training,
Blockading Workshop,
Nonviolence Workshop,
Legal Training with the Belmont Law Center,
Commercial Timber Sale Program 101,
Groundtruthing Timber Sales Hike,
Endangered Species Identification/Survey + Manage Program Overview: Lichen, Moss, Red Tree Vole & Fungus Field ID Trainings,
Wilderness 1st Aid Training,
Orienteering/Map+Compass Workshop,
Native Plants + Trees Identification Hike,
Security Culture Workshop,
Survival Skills Share Circle,
Rocket Stove Building Workshop,
Forest Meditation Practice,
Challenging White Supremacy Workshop,
Political Theater Workshop.

All this in two days.  I can't wait!

Paul_H

The young lady puts, not one,but three nooses around her neck,and then has audacity to whine when they started to tighten.

She was banking on the fact that the government would send more reasonable people to cut them down,than the alliance members.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

;D ;D
I'm a'thinking that ol' Marcelle Ledbetter and his liteweight Mukulluk chainsaw a'snorting and a'reving at the bottom of that tree woulda got that gal ta moving, and RAT now! :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Forest Meditation Practice

OK trees, if you are ready lets begin with our mantra.

icky dicky itti otti ummmmmmmmmm.....

Janice, please pull your cap down over your ears, you're making that whistleing noise again...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

It`s just a little more than interesting how her mind functions.
She climbs into a tree, puts a noose around her neck and then insinuates that the rescue team is a bunch of idiots.
This must be the reason we have a need for psychiatrists.

HORSELOGGER

I think she has some valid complaints. I cant believe they brought a cherry picker into an old growth forest!  The next time she goes up , they should drag her down with a team of horses, its much more forest friendly ;D She must have graduated from the" displaying white stupidity seminar."
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

L. Wakefield

I think she should read this entire thread for a good insight into how others' thoughts run; especially if there is any actionable material in here. Then she should consider to what lengths she wishes to go to support her views in light of current laws and her ethical stance. Then she should arm herself with whatever resources she considers appropriate and wise- and try again.

Why don't you all invite her to sign on to the group? I doubt she is that hard to get hold of. I'm sure she'd be just fascinated to get the insights into your opinions. ::)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Paul_H

I wonder if she thought for a minute,about the danger she put the government employees in?

Jeff

Quote  Why don't you all invite her to sign on to the group? I doubt she is that hard to get hold of. I'm sure she'd be just fascinated to get the insights into your opinions.  lw

I don't think you really want to do that. I invite other opinions, but the radicals will only show up, spout their spouts, get mad when we make sense then they will proceed to disrupt the board or worse. If she shows up on her own its one thing, but to invite trouble is not my idea of a good time.

Bud Man

Might just as well invite an arsonist to give us some insight on usage of fire management in Forestry pracitces !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Cedar Eater

I agree with Jeff and Bud Man. The likelihood that she would be open minded enough to learn something from us is pretty low. The likelihood that she would coherently defend her position is equally low. Because we are products of a melting pot society, it is almost ingrained in us to treat all viewpoints as valid, but when a viewpoint enters the arena of public policy, rational debate is needed. Those who refuse to debate rationally are abusing their freedoms and failing to be responsible members of society. All of her arguments can be effectively shut down by one trite little phrase from one of my neighbors' bumper stickers. It says, "If you don't like logging, try plastic toilet paper!"
Cedar Eater

Ron Scott

A Forum Terrorist maybe??
~Ron

Jeff

shush!  I have seen it on other boards and i don't want to think about it. I have seen Steve Nix have to mop up after an appearance on about.com the problem here is I don't have a multi million dollar .com's tech staff to fend off problems. We can use this board to teach and learn without strife, I don't need to have someone come over here just for the soul purpose of a debate that will have no winner.

DanG

I thought LW was mumbling a bit when she said that. Could it have been a tongue in her cheek? :)

WAS IT HER'S? ;D   :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

We have had about ten years of Tree terrorism in our area.The Pacific Northwestern States,even longer.What Cedar,Bud Ron and Jeff have said, rings true.

They don't want to debate or exchange ideas,they want their way or the highway.Confrontation sells.The media lap it up,in some instances,play it up.The groups come in to areas and block the companies and employees from earning a living,supporting their families,mortgages,etc.Not one thing have I ever witnessed these groups do to support the unemployed loggers,millworkers,or any of the many businesses that depend directly on them.
After many months,usually warm spring,summer/fall months,(good camping) they head off to save another part of the province.Media follows.Same old story,different town,different victims.
It gets really old.

timberbeast

One of the guys who was so concerned about my safety kept trying to spin the pod around. Not a very safe thing to do with me barely standing on the edge with three nooses around my neck.

Darwin Award winner,  to be sure.  SHE put the nooses there.  THE GUYS saved her life.  And she's mad.  Not much more to be said,  in my opinion.  Except I will go to the  website,  have to! ;D
Where the heck is my axe???

splinters

Sounds like an attempted suicide foiled.  Used to be those types would be confined for their own safety. Wonder why not now???

Tillaway

I am back for the weekend. 8)

I visited Cascadias' website and found the Oregon state land exchange with Martin Nygaard interesting. I have worked on the Astoria district doing sale layout for the state so I am quite familiar with the area.  As usual they are all hepped up about nothing.  The pictures shown of the area shows a typical understocked stand for the area.  They did manage to find a couple of bigger spruce for their pictures but those are not indicative of the area.  In the background you will see a typical Alder stand ripe for conversion back to Doug fir.  What they won't show in the pictures are the 50 to 75 year old Doug fir stands.  These are quite impressive, average DBH runs close to 30" and are about 150' tall.  These stands supply more potential for biodeversity and are favorites of Spotted Owls.  The Alder they are trying to protect does not attract nor supply good corridors for connectivity of Owl habitat.  It also does not supply adequate canopy cover to attract nesting pairs.  When these are cut you will find a sudden influx of Owls to the immediate area to take advantage of the new prey base created by the openning.  The nesting pairs tend to stack allong the edges, basically they like living next to the fridge.  The environmentalist spin this by saying it is the life boat effect.  All the Owls were displaced by the harvest.  Won't they don't mention is the comparative lack of Owls towards the centers of large tracts of suitable habitat.  If it was a lifeboat, wouldn't you think it would be full?

Cascadia put a good spin on a timber sale "victory" they had years back.  The mill that bought the USFS sale was the first mill in the US to export lumber and prefab houses to Japan.  In fact they have been doing this since the sixties if memory serves me correctly.  When the Japanese economy tanked, this mill found themselves over extended on this sale, basically it was worth nowhere near as much as they were contractually obligated to pay.  Cascadia was protesting this sale and claimed a "victory" when the mill used them to help bail the mill out of the contract.

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Paul_H

Tillaway, was that young 50-75 year old stand, 2nd growth from an old logging slash? or was it an old wildfire that came through?
Thanks for the interesting read.

Tillaway

Paul, The Doug fir is plantations mostly, The Alder comes in if you don't plant.  The Alder stands in question are a result of not planting after harvest.  This is not "virgin" forest.  The Spruce in question was too small during the first entry and was left, the Adler stands are probably around 50 years old.  This entire state forest district has been cut in the past, there are no real Ol Growth stands in the area.  

L. Wakefield

I gotta ask here- I had never thought this was likely..do people harvest ALDER? Round here it's a swamp denizen that turns into an impenetrable thicket. I hadn't thought about it in terms of age (50 years you were saying..)- just obnoxious quality excpet maybe for animal cover and generic contribution to the 'watershed' capabilities of an area.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tillaway

LW,
Red Alder grows in Oregon, Washington, and B.C.  It is a important timber producer in these areas.  They usually get to twenty odd inches in diameter and just over 100' tall. They grow very fast reaching saw log sizes in 30 years or less.  It can be more profitable for a small land owner to manage for Alder than the usual conifer species here because you get two rotations of Alder for every one of fir.  The price for Alder saw logs is usually good sometimes equaling or exceeding medium quality Doug fir saw logs.

There are also brush species of Alder with Sitka Alder being the most common in these areas.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!