iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What if?

Started by Kirk_Allen, March 03, 2005, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Has anyone ever used Anhydrous Amonia before?  In science class we would drip some on a dollar bill and almost instantly the moisture in the bill is gone and it shrinks to about half its normal size.

Because it has the perpencity to displace moisture is it possible that it could be used to dry wood?  I know it may be a streatch but with folks hitting the fields this week it crossed my mind.

The other thought was Liquied Nitrogen.  We use it eliminate moisture in one of our Haz Mat manufacturing processes.  I would think that it wouuld have the same effect on lumber?

OK, it may be way out there but until I try it and fail I think it will work.  Dont know how feasable though as I dont know how much it will take to Get-R-Done!

Brad_S.

Around here that anhydrous amonia is hot stuff, literally. For a while there was a major rash of thefts of the stuff off farms by illicit drug producers. Might still be and it just doesn't make the news anymore. Apparently it is used in the production of crystal meth.
Never saw that dollar bill trick, sounds real interesting. Wouldn't want my boards shrinking to half their size, though. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

I believe the Goobermint has the shrinking dollar bill concession locked up. ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kirk_Allen

Harold Stop :'(  I laughed so hard it made my ribs hurt again. 

We have had LOTS of theft of the stuff around hear to.  Most folks have been briefed by the sharriff.  They tell us to call them and dont intervine if we see a theft taking place. 

Kinda hard for me to sit back and do nothing. Lots of guns, have ammo, will travel :D

Reminds me of living in Biloxi MS when I was in the service.  At 2:00 am I got up to feed my 6 month old kid.  Looked out the window and 4 thugs were jacking up my neighbors lincoln and stealing his wheels.

Told my wife to call the police as I was leaving the bedroom with my 12 gauge.  Stepped out side, Chunked a round into the chamber and rest assured, those thugs heard it!  They stood up in shock and I assured them I know how to use it and wont hesitate. 

The part that sucked was that while I was holding them at bay my wife forgot to tell the police what I was doing.  When they got there all the guns were drawn on me >:(  We got it sorted out and all 4 ended up spending several years in jail, as this was not their first conviction.  I was told by a rookie cop that he should be arresting me and informed me how I was wrong in my actions.  So be it!  The Supervisor pulled me aside after hearing the rookie and infomed me that they have been trying to nab these guys for months.  He said he wished more citizins would take a stand for whats right.  Said he was going to have a talk with that rookie ;D

tnlogger

gene

Stump Jumper

tnloger yes my rists dont hurt so bad when i use both hands on my 44 mag
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

jflytle

Kirk,

I think it's a little different where you are at now. Simply dig a hole, through the airated bandit in, cover to level and plant corn on top. 8)

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Fla._Deadheader

:-[ :-[  Sorry Kirk. :-[ :-[

The Debel made me do it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don_Papenburg

I know that NH3 vapour is good for bending wood. As a replacement for steam.   All of the liquid N that I have handled was sticky and the stuff would rust mild steel at a very rapid rateand screw up aluminum also. If you use liquid N to dry lumber you would have to use stainless steel fastners.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

neslrite

Kirk,
I am not sure how you could use LN2 to dry something, being -320degees F it would freeze any moisture.
But the boil off from LN2 is bone dry, N2 is use alot to dry critical parts because it is pure and dry.

It is expensive!!!

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

farmerdoug

Anhydrous amonia is real nasty stuff.  >:( It wants water in the worst way.  It will literally rip it out of the wood or you as a matter of fact.  Between the danger of use and the drug makers most of the farmers around here have switched to 28% nitrogen fertilzer which is a liquid but safer and worthless to the drug crowd.

I think it would do alot of damage to the lumber and when you took it out you would need a has-mat suit.  :o When anhydrous mixes with water you get that ammonia cleaner that you buy in the store.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Quartlow

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on March 13, 2005, 10:03:20 PM
I know that NH3 vapour is good for bending wood. As a replacement for steam.   All of the liquid N that I have handled was sticky and the stuff would rust mild steel at a very rapid rateand screw up aluminum also. If you use liquid N to dry lumber you would have to use stainless steel fastners.

I worked at a place when I was younger that used LN to freeze rod bearings for big hydraulic cylanders for ease of instalation and we never had a problem with them rusting. Possibly because it was only in the LN for a short period.

It would be interesdting to see the results of this experiment though.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!