iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it?

Started by Kirk_Allen, March 03, 2005, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I THINK this is an Elm but not sure.  I have a tough time reading bark so I thought I would post it here for the experts!  Any input is appreciated. 

LeeB

Looks kinda like the cedar elm that grows round here. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kirk_Allen

Your the first person I have ever heard talk about cedar Elm.  I have about 300 BF of it from Arkansas.  Its got some great grain pattern to it. 

We dont have any cedar elm around here so I am pretty sure its not that. 

populus

Looks like slippery elm, Ulmus rubra.  No cedar elm in Illinois, if that's where this is. Lacks the good form of American elm. Could be rock elm, Ulmus thomasii if you're on limestone.

Kirk_Allen

I was reading this morning and Rock Elm is where I was leaning.  Turns out the house was built on an old rock quary. 

Thanks

SwampDonkey

I'm leaning toward elm also, but not a species I'm familiar with. We only have American Elm up my way.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Kirk, I kinda like the cedar elm. as you said it has a nice pattern to it. I cut up a downed one a while back and it was pretty nerar gone to rot. no spalting. Thought I would drie it anyway and forgot about it in my ever growing pile of wood. FOund it just the other day and started to through it away again. Decided to plane it down and se what it looked like. I ended up making a wine rack for the wife and it turned out gorgeous. You never know. I wasn't suggesting that your pic was a cedar elm, only saying that the bark looked like it. I still lean toward elm. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kirk_Allen

I hear you Lee.  The stack of Cedar Elm I have is beutiful stuff when its finished.  I am thinking of using it to make an entertainment center.  I took one board of it to Rockler with my last load of wood.  It lasted one day on the shelf and they got $10 bf for it.  I think I wll keep the rest.................unless of course they offer me $4-5 bf for it ;D. 

Curlywoods

Kirk,

Drag that Woodmizer down here with you next time your in the area.  We got your Cedar Elm in mass down here   :D  $10.00 BF!!!!!!!!!!  Man I need to get me some new customers  ;D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Kirk_Allen

Mike, Have logs will travel 8) 8)  50/50?  Tell me when you want to do it!

Thank You Sponsors!