iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Typing Skills

Started by chet, March 02, 2005, 11:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

It's pretty obvious there are alot of folks that are a wee bit faster than me. Some of da posts that show up on the forum would take me days to type.   :-[
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

The early results sure make me feel better.   ;D 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Gilman

I really appreciate the members that are not accomplished typist on their input.  I can't imagine how long it must take them to type their posts, but they do.  I thank you 'hunt and pokers' for sharing your knowledge with us, one peck at a time :)

Good survey, I like this one.  I'm really curios of who's typing out there.

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

WH_Conley

When I get 2 fingers goin I have to make sure spell check is on.
Bill

Gilman

Fraxinus

I'm a touch typist but not a very good one.  Half a year in high school.  I can still hear Miss Hunt saying "Fingers on the home row!"
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

DanG

Too bad you didn't take high school typing from Mrs. Holloway, Chet.  She woulda straightened out your Yooper self.  These keyboards are a piece-o-cake compared to the old upright Underwoods we had to pound out 35wpm on. :o  What I really like about typing on the computer, is the instant correction. I proofread as I go, and it would ruin my day to have to start over just because of a double strike or misspelling.  I took Mrs H's class in 1961, and I can still type without looking at the keyboard.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

I chose  Too fast for thought process.

But actually the truth is, I can type much faster than i can spell.  Most times after I post I realize this and go back and correct the worstest of the spelling.  Some of the spelling I don't change cause in spite of what the spell checker says, that's the way I thunk it!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Hey DanG, I learned on one a them manual Underwood's too! Liked em much better than the old Royals.  47 words per minute in Mrs. Rowans Class.  (She was really cute for a teacher) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

chet

Quote from: Fraxinus on March 02, 2005, 11:18:09 PM
I'm a touch typist but not a very good one.  Half a year in high school.  I can still hear Miss Hunt saying "Fingers on the home row!"

I'm a touch typist too.  :)  As long as my eyeballs can see what I'm touchin'.   ;D

Gilman

CK,
Sometimes I just like how you're too honest.  ;D

KiwiCharlie

Hey,
Im pretty good with two fingers, but I still need to look aT THE KEYBOARD WHILE iM TYPING...  AWWW dANg!!   ;) :D
Cheers
Charlie
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Brad_S.

I took typing class in high school, back when computers were novelties run by puch cards. I took the class not knowing the skill would one day be usefull, but rather, I was the only male in an all female class (they were considered "future secretaries" back in '75).
Even with those odds, I didn't fare too well (late bloomer) but at least I can type! :D

BTW, I can type faster than my thought process, but that doesn't mean I'm a fast typist.  ::)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

etat

The first sentence Mrs. Rowan had us type, "I had a jade sale at the lake".  She musta made us type it a hundred million times.  The grades in the class were pro rated and lots a folks didn't like that i could type so fast, until I started typing a couple of em's timed test and would slip it too em so's they could pass.  I had done had all mine in and didn't have to keep taking the test but I'd type along anyways. Actually one guy that was a senior tole me that if I didn't he'd break my arm.  Considering that we was sorta friends and he was semi kidding, or not,  I helped him out.  Now Mrs. Rowan weren't no fool and pretty sure she knew what was going on.  She KNEW that guy weren't gonna get no kind of job where he'd be typing and probably wanted him to pass so's he wouldn't take her class again.  So I figured by helping him I was helping her out too. Still don't feel bad about it.

Rockn H

I'm with Brad.  It was either Home Ec or Typing and I could already make PB&J.  :D :D :D

isawlogs

I'm a two finger typing adict... as long as the two fingers dont hit the letters too quickly I'm doing OK ... the only two keys I know where there at with out looking are the backspace and deleat .,..

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paschale

I just typed out "I had a jade sale at the lake" a bunch of times, just for kicks.  That's sort of like a tongue twister for your fingers!  Made me realize that I'm just as much right handed at typing as I am in everything else.   ::)  I had a great typing teacher, and all of us turned it into a competition back then.  I was usually one of the quickest, but my accuracy suffered, which still is the case today.  It's very often two steps forward, one step back.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

But actually the truth is, I can type much faster than i can spell.  Most times after I post I realize this and go back and correct the worstest of the spelling.  Some of the spelling I don't change cause in spite of what the spell checker says, that's the way I thunk it!

That's me!
Don't matter if I'm typing, writing, or running my mouth, for some reason whole sentances get left out.  :-\ ::)
Never did take any typing classes, taught myself. ;)

CHARLIE

My high school typing teacher was a Mrs. Cordell.  I hated typing back then (1961) because that was supposed to be for girls!  Well, I ended up in a job where I used the computer a lot and also had to write program specifications.....my typing skills came in real handy and even improved.  In 1986 I wrote Mrs. Cordell a letter of appreciation and thanked her. It was none to soon either because about 4 years later she had Alzheimer real bad.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Roxie

Wow, is this bringing back memories.....35WPM.....only 2 errors.  I had a male typing teacher.  He didn't like me.  I shined in his class though and when I graduated, my final timed test was 99 WMP with one error.  That was on an IBM Selectric with the amazing little ball rotating.   :D  The teacher, Mr. Baker, told me that I'd never amount to anything in business because of my attitutude.  I was not shy and I have never had a problem expressing myself.  The best part was when I went to the 20 year class reunion and Mr. Baker was there greeting us as we arrived.  He stuck his hand out and said, "Well, Roxie, what are you doing with yourself?"  I smiled and said, "I'm the Chief Financial Officier of a 10 million dollar manufacturing firm."  I've got to tell you, that felt really good.   :D  If I had a "proper business attitude" which in 1970 meant secretary making coffee, I never would have made it.   ;D  By the way, I excelled at shorthand too!  A completely lost art now! 
Say when

old3dogg

I can use 2 fingers but I still hunt and peck a lot.Im also a self taught typer.My new job requires a lot of computer work so Im getting better.I thank God everyday for spell checker!

Fla._Deadheader

I can type much faster than I can think.  ::) ::) ::)  It's especially good when the keyboard is shoved over about 2 keys. Looks like some Ancient civilization language.  ::) ::)

Sometimes, both fingers hurt real bad when I get done, ESPECIALLY when the whole DanG post disappears when ya hit the SEND button.  >:( >:( :D :D

Never use Spell Checker. If I could make a livin Spellin, I would be a gazillionaire.  Don't allow fer misteaks thoo.  ;) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jflytle

Do you count backspace in that 35wpm.

I can get all of the fingers going, but if I think to much about the act of typing I have to look at the KB.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Norm

Ahhh yes typing class....one boy and twenty girls, what's not to like about those odds.  ;D   Miss Dirks hated me because she thought I was just there to scope out the girls (she was homlier than heck) and did everything she could to get me to drop the class. I even got up to 60wpm if I was using the new IBM electrics. The drill I remember as we were learning was her standing up there saying aaa bbb ccc lll. Now I'm lucky to average 20wpm. :D

tnlogger

I knew there was a good reason why most every time i post i get that warning .
Some one has posted while you were righting  :D :D.
My finners overtake my brain mosts of the time  ;D or it might be the hillbilly in me.
I am self taught started on a old comerdore in the old BBS and worked my way up to thei here compaq on this here super hwyway. Boy now that brings back memorys.
gene

Thank You Sponsors!