iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log dogs

Started by pep, March 02, 2005, 08:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep

Hi everyone.  Been sitting back taking in all the excellent info for the last few months.  One can sure learn a few things here about sawing.

This is my first post hope its not my last.  Does anyone have specs on Petersens Log Dogs or Mobile D's.  I'd like to make my own.

Thanks

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Captain

Pep, they are two completely different concepts.

MDs are a lever actuated arrangement that is adjustable on a steel beam.

Peterson's are a set of teeth made from a flat piece of steel, with a kicker to put in the log to keep it from rolling.  They are made to apply to a conventional set of wood bunks.

There are pics of both in the archives.

Now saying that, Jake has not let us in on his new dogs yet...

Captain

neslrite

Hello,
I had a chance to use  the MD dogs with Frank_Pender they work very well! I like the fact that you can bypass the spring to lever over the log.
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Hokiemill

Pep, welcome to the ForestryForum!!!  It's nice to see another swinger and another Lucas owner.  I have an older model 6.  The dogs/bunks for swing mills have been and continue to be a topic of discussion since none of us get any as part of the mill purchase.  Do a search on "log bunks" and you'll come across a couple good threads.  Seems like many are using a simple notched bunk.  Word is Jake (from Peterson) is working on a new set of dogs.  I'm also working on a set of the world's best swingmill bunk/dogs.  My initial design is complete and I'm about to build the first set.  Once I get a working set, I'll post more info here.

pep

neslrite, I've been to MD website but couldn't find any info on their dogging system.

Captain, I have a picture of the Petersen's Log Dogs, but I'd like to make a pair out of aluminum.  I've been using 6x8" bunks for the white pine I'm cutting, but I need to slab  some short buts.  I don't think my bunks would work for them.  The buts are 4-5 ft. x 36-46" in dia.

Hokiemill, I'd like to see your design.

Thanks
pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Tom

I took some pictures of MD's when I visited DanG on the West Coast  I probably have more on my computer somewhere but you can find one on that thread.  click the blue words :)

sawmill_john

I'll post some pictures in a day or two, I don't have any on my home computer.  For $105.00 each I don't think you can make the same thing. 

what do you know I did have a picture or the dreaded log holders.  The only thing you have to watch out for is the knuckle breaking action when loosening up the clamp.

John 8)

Paul_H

MD dogs set in a Birch log.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

It is not just the knuckles you have to watch out for, but you ankles, when you kick them loose. :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Paul_H

It would sure be nice to see Mobile Manufacturing up on the left hand side of the screen as a Sponsor  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawmill_john

Hey Paul those are some vintage knuckle busters, I hate those flatbar handled log holder clamps.  The first time I released one it snaped back and felt like it took my thumb off, my thumb was sore for six months.  The newer log holders have a pipe handle, easyer for clamping the log they hurt all most as bad if your not ready for them when you release them.
here are i few more pictures.

John

Steve

Paul

I would totally agree! Mobile needs to be here. I have had over 20 good years with that mill and I love what it can do. John, what's the deal there? In private if  you must....

Sorry but I just don't understand??

Steve

Personally I think they are really missing out.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Wife

Ummm...I can't bust Jake's new design yet....but I CAN tell you:

- the tops are made of aluminium so even if your circle blade gets down there, they won't kill it,
- it can hold up to THREE small logs at once
- one quick hand action tightens all three at once
- and yep, it will tension each one INDIVIDUALLY so the more logs doesn't mean less dog strength
- can move the logs sideways for taper
- easy release (no knuckle or toe busting)
- less grab damage for resawing (because BOTH sides tighten evenly, can use less piercing to still hold)
- infinite adjustability along the skid (put your log(s) anywhere you want).

Yeah, OK, sounds tooooo good to be true. But Jake has been listening to what you guys need. Hang in there.  ;) PS. Price (obviously) won't be cheap. So start saving now.

I'm pushing to release these in 4-6 weeks.
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Bring it on, Jake! 8)  I'm watching and waiting! ;D

Sawmill John, the MD dogs are great, but I got one little improvement in mind.  You could eliminate a lot of the knuckle and shin busting by adding a flip up handle to the end of the pipe.  I don't have any problem on the release, as I saw that one coming ;D, but the handle comes really close to the rail when ratcheting a log into position.  I've knocked the bark off my knuckles more than once, doing that. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oakiemac

sawmill John,
I'm with the rest of them, we need to have MD as a sponsor. You couldn't ask for a better sight to show case your mills.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

fabrik

Log, dog, turner and loader available for swing blade sawmills at http://www.fabrik.us/industrial_fabrication.htm
site best viewed in Internet Explorer.

sigidi

Jeepers there was me thinkin I could help out old Pep with pics of my set up, as I was thinking it was pretty darn good :D

but you chaps using a ratchet type clamping system have the idea - a whole lot easier. Although all that metal does worry me a bit :o

Great to see you finally not lurking Pep 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

pep

Hey Sigidi you calling me old?   >:(
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Timo

I agree that the lack of a comprehensive dogging system is the missing link for swing mills. I was planning on designing one myself, but I guess I'll have to get in line! :D
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

sigidi

Now then Pep we all know once ya get sawdust in ya veins ya can't get any older.

and besides pushing a Lucas all day ya can't be as old as those folkes who have all them fanDanGled hidrawlics!!! ;)

good to see you posting - have ya taken anymore pics of ya slabs in the shed, the ones you sent came through real dark, maybe even open up a post to show us all??
Always willing to help - Allan

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Wife on March 03, 2005, 04:30:44 PM
Ummm...I can't bust Jake's new design yet....but I CAN tell you:

- the tops are made of aluminium so even if your circle blade gets down there, they won't kill it,
- it can hold up to THREE small logs at once
- one quick hand action tightens all three at once
- and yep, it will tension each one INDIVIDUALLY so the more logs doesn't mean less dog strength
- can move the logs sideways for taper
- easy release (no knuckle or toe busting)
- less grab damage for resawing (because BOTH sides tighten evenly, can use less piercing to still hold)
- infinite adjustability along the skid (put your log(s) anywhere you want).

Yeah, OK, sounds tooooo good to be true. But Jake has been listening to what you guys need. Hang in there.  ;) PS. Price (obviously) won't be cheap. So start saving now.

I'm pushing to release these in 4-6 weeks.

Kerris,

I wanted to bump this to the top, it has been awhile since this thread was around. 

I am unpacking my WPF and getting ready for my first milling job in a few weeks.  I'm gonna need a set of something for my this job.

Any news on the log dog system?

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!