iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

see this groove?

Started by redpowerd, March 02, 2005, 08:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

see this here groove on the bandwheel? its a bit hard to see how deep it is in the picture, but you can see a groove there. ive allways run the teeth off of the wheel completley, using my fingers to guide the gullets flush with the face of the wheel. cut fine like that for many boards. now that i discover this bit of lip, wondering if i should run the band farther back on the wheel. this might be a stupid question, and if the mill was currently running, id proly just test it out, figgerd id ask. i do not think the kasco manual says much about it, i would have rememberd.
thanks,
jon
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

redpowerd

:D :D :D
sorry, they were on my feet when i took the picture.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Brad_S.

I don't know how other brands do things, but on my Timber Harvesters, they like the back of the blade to be flush with the back wheel face on 1 1/4" blades. This lets the teeth and gullets hang out front quite a bit. They told me if I ran the blade too far back it would press the set out of the teeth.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

D._Frederick

Red,

What kind of band wheel system does Kasco have, are they running a Vee belt on a pulley?

redpowerd

negative, shes just a flat one there. ive allways run the teeth just off the wheel, mabie this wheel is designed to allow the teeth to run back a bit if your head speed is too fast, hence keeping set.
i think theyre eighteen inches. small
i dunno
larry?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

scottr

Jonathan , is the groove caused by a mushroomed band ? Is your Kasko the design that uses the drive belt on the band wheel ?                                                                                                                Scott

redpowerd

negative, the wheel dosent use a belt, shes all steel.
ive never mushroomed a band or ever heard of that happening. then again, ive only used 25 or so bands since owning the mill.
thanks for the reply!
jon

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

ill run out and get a better snapshot of both the wheels here after my cheerios.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

D._Frederick

Red,

Since you have an all steel wheel, you sure don't want the teeth to be touching the wheel. They should be hanging over the edge of the rim to keep the set in the teeth.

redpowerd

right, i understand that in order to keep set.
but  if i mount the blade as you describe it, it wont be supported under the depression. what im saying is, do i set it up over the edge of the rim, or the edge of the groove? ima gunna try to run it thru some poplar today to clean up some blades. guess ill find out, seems the groove is deep enuff for set clearance.

whats it for????????????????
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Larry

Don't know what the groove is for....maybe so ya can run 1" bands?

I run my bands as far back as possible but don't think it really makes any difference on the cut.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!