iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack

Started by timberjack240, January 30, 2005, 06:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack240

i run a timberjack 240E. i was wonderin if any body runs a timberjack and what are your likes and dilikes

Jwinter

I just bought one yesterday, (208E) let you know in a week or so.

timberjack240

hope ya have luck with the 208. nice little machine. does it have a Detroit or a Perkins

devo

I'm running a 350. Really like the auto transmision, and the visibility out of the cab. The turbo on the 353 is real nice too. Hate getting on and off the machine with a saw, compared to my old 240D. Also, mabey its just my short legs, but seems the pedals are to far apart. Like that I can winch in while reversing too. And the best thing is a nice big, quite muffler!
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Jwinter

Thanks, Timberjack 240.  The skidder has a 3-53 Jimmy in it, seems to run good.  I'm worried about possible planetary issues, but if I dont overload it I should be fine.

timberjack240

devo i didnt no that the 350 a 3-53 in it did you put that in or is that wut they put in them. i thounght everything above a 240 had a 4-53 and 6-53's in them-- gess ya learn somethin new wvery day

devo

As far as I know its the origional motor, been rebuilt once. Its identical to every other 353 that I have ever seen or owned except its got a turbo (instead of the usual blower). Really nice engine. The only time I find it lacking for that size machine is pulling a hitch in mud, tranny just seems to rob a lot of power. Guess I shouldn't be playing in the mud to begin with!

timberjack240

oh well wuts loggin if ya cant play in the mud a little. my pap has a 225 that has a 3-53 in it but in dont have the turbo on it. it does bog a little in the mud but bout everything does. my pap told me that the automatic trannies do take a good bit of power he sed that they make em a little boggy. the 240 i run is a beast it is a standard witht the 4-53 it putin out bout 130 hp i think. we just replaced it this summer.

devo

Well I think if and when I'm in the market for a skidder again I'll want to go back to a 230 or 240. Just prefer em.

Corley5

I had the pleasure of having a 240 on loan to me for two winters.  It was a 1997 model with 1,300 hours on the clock when it left, had a Cummins 4bt ??? 100hp engine with standard transmission.  It was a super nice machine, with lots of power, a super strong winch that'd pop cable if you weren't careful, and it was fun to run.  The guys that owned it sold it just as I was finishing my job up and they brought their 240 forwarder out to clean up the last few logs.  I could have bought the cable machine for $35,000.00 but didn't figure the cage would have been real comfortable to live in ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ehp

I owned a 450 for 4 years with a 453 turned up in it , pretty much the same machine as your 350 with 23.1 by 26  tires on it, it had lots of power and was fast at getting around and would pull a good size load with no trouble.I cut for a 350 that had 24.5 by 32 tires on it and it was under powered but I really think the problem was it was over geared with those bigger tires on it, because it was real fast on the road and you used 1 st gear in the bush pulling it load, 2nd gear was just to fast and it didnot have enough power to pull proper in 2nd anyhow

timberjack240

corely5  to bad you didnt buy that 240. round here they can get 75 to 90 thousnad at least for a machine like that

Corley5

Coulda turned a profit on that one ::)  I would love to have had it but I would have had to gone into logging seriously instead of as a hobby.  If I'd of had a sale for it at 75,000 though......
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timberjack240

me and my pap were lookin at one that i think was a 97. it was at the dealer for 3 days and 3 people were interested in it. we were headed back to the dealer to pick up a part and saw it goin down the road and we asked them about it. they didnt even get it in the shop when they sold it. the guyz had to wait for them to put it through the shop. sold for 75000. It was a 240B nice machine but to steep for me. matter of 5 days i think and they sold it and it was gone. my pap said that people are scarfin them, up cause there dependable and nice machines for about everything, plus i heard they dont make them anymore

timberjack240

j winter hows the 208 runnin. just wonderin if ya wore it out yet just kiddin

timberjack 240

Jwinter

Thanks for asking 240,  We only used the machine for about a day so far.  I'm moving, so thats taking alot of my energy.  It seems to be good other than it jumps out of first.  May be a fork or something.  The winch is strong.  It isnt the driest machine but has low hrs (7500).  I hope I have good luck with it.

timberjack240

the 240 i ran started jumpin out of 3rd if i didnt get it in quite right and my pap was runnin it wen i went back to school. it got to the point were he had to be movin to keep it in then. i figured that i wasnt putin it in right but i think somethin else was wrong. if the wench is string that sdefinatley a good thing

timberjack 240

timberjack240

jwimter hows the 208 runnin for ya havent heard yet

Jwinter

Thanks for asking, We're pulling some big Red Oak, and the skidder is grunting a little but I take it easy on it.  I really am glad I bought a 200 series. Other than some engine leaks I have'nt had any trouble.  Maybe some day I'll end up with something bigger (240,518) but if I don't I won't be heartbroken.  I already have a wife, I don't need to be married to a piece of iron too.

timberjack240

j winter
wut leaks do ya have is it the oil hosese that go underneath the motor or is it sumthin else

Jwinter

We fixed the seals and wear sleeves behind the two front pulleys behind the fan and the valve cover gasket whichy was leaking pretty bad.

timberjack240

j winter
sounds like loads od fun  ::) well at least you know how to do it now if i need someone to do it you are expeirinced and i can get you to do it   ;D just kiddin  ;D

timberjack240

Thank You Sponsors!