iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resharpening like a pro on the cheap

Started by MemphisLogger, February 27, 2005, 09:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

I horded up Doublehard and Monkey blades for my first 2 years sawing--ran 'em 500-800 feet depending on what I was sawing, cleaned 'em, oiled 'em and set 'em on a shelf and wrote 'em off on my taxes.

I tried resharping with Woodmizer but I kept sending them 15 blades and only getting back 12--I guess they didn't like the other 2.  :-[  Had a hard time finding anyone nearby to do my Monkeys.

Now I've got 100 or so blades in my inventory and this last summer I acquired a used but well maintained Foley-Vollmer G-175 Liliput Senior sharpener from my local sharpening shop. This is a serious machine and from what I gather, readily available. I got mine for $500.

It does any profile you'd want and like the Dinasaws can put a beveled edge on if you like. What's more, you can do circle blades on it too.

I seriously recommend that anyone looking into doing their own sharpening consider shopping around for one of these machines.

If you want to know more about what it can do, shoot me a PM and I'll email you a PDF of the manual I made. 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom_Averwater

I bought 2 liliput seniors last fall from my local saw shop also. Very good machine. Iv'e got the parts breakdown if anyone needs one. Parts are very expensive. Urban,did you get an operators manual with yours? I'd be interested in a copy of it if possible .Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

MemphisLogger

I scanned my manual into a PDF, Tom. It's about 5 megs. If you can handle that in an email, I'll send it along.

The machine I got had everytnig with it except the automatic setter but I have a buddy who deals in old machines looking for one for me.

All the parts are pretty straightforward--any machine shop should be able to hook you up if you don't machine yourself.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom_Averwater

Scott, I should be able to handle it.Send it when you get a chance . What kind of wheel are grinding with , grit , hardness? I got some 46 grit Q hardness to try . Right now i have to pull the profile cam shaft out .  I bought a new profile cam and when I installed it the shift fork caught it and bent it when I started the machine.  If your friend finds more than one of those setters I would be interested in one.  Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

HORSELOGGER

I tried resharping with Woodmizer but I kept sending them 15 blades and only getting back 12--I guess they didn't like the other 2. 

And one mussa got lost in the mail :) :D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Thank You Sponsors!