iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ECommerce

Started by GF, February 27, 2005, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I was wondering if any members have dealt with ecommerce on there website and what ecommerce solution they may have went with?  I would like to start taking online credit card orders.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Gary

rebocardo

Go with a merchant that will guarantee payment as long as you follow all the rules. Do not do international credit card orders. It has been 4+ years since I did it, so I will not bother with names since it is outdated. I use to do check over the phone too. I do strictly PayPal now for small stuff.

Larry

Check out PayPal.  You can take credit cards, set up a shopping cart, and they have buy it now buttons.  Not hard to set up.  Don't cost anything to get started...they get there percentage cut when you sell something.  Little high but not bad.  I have been with them since they started...never had a problem.  URL is www.paypal.com

If ya wanta get fancy on a budget check out www.oscommerce.com  Just be prepared for a lot of work to get it off the ground with a decent web site...and you still need something like paypal to accept the money.  I'm still in the lotawork stage...so don't ask questions.

I took another look at your web site and noticed that besides having one of the best looking home built mills, now ya got a great looking solar kiln. 8) 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jjmk98k

I use paypal for buying and selling stuff, very easy and user friendly. But the fees sometimes can get on your nerves, i just make up for it by adding a few beans to the shipping cost ot offset the fees.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

GF

Looked at Paypal as an option, may look at it some more.  I was not sure if the client needs to sign up for paypal to make a purchase.  I am making alot of changes to the website but have not yet publisked them.

Thanks for all the input, it helps greatly.

Curlywoods

We use QuickBooks Merchant Services as PayPal fees are getting out of sight!  I simply create an invoice using QuickBooks Pro and then submit it for authorization thru their virtual terminal software (send it through the computer to them).  It is almost automatic.  The funds go into my checking account in a few days.  Never an issue and I don't have to enter any stuff twice if I used another program to take care of the books.

I guess it depends upon how many sales that you are generating as to what options works best for you though.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

woodmills1

I use paypal for selling and it works well.  As stated I add a few bucks to shipping to cover the fees.  If you set up your account to take credit card payments you will encounter fees for every transaction.  I also always add a disclamer that states my extra shipping and handling fee also covers the cost to paypal.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jjmk98k

woodsmills......

afraid to ask, but what the heck is a ebonic yooper rapper?

::)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rebocardo

>  I also always add a disclamer that states my extra shipping
> and handling fee also covers the cost to

You might want to drop that disclaimer since it violates PayPal's T.O.S. and voids their Seller Protection Policy.

Quote:

"Do not charge buyers an additional fee if they use PayPal. You may not charge your buyers additional fees (often called a "surcharge") if they choose PayPal as their method of payment."

You can still charge it as a general S&H charge, just do not mention it  ;)

Curlywoods

According to Federal Law, if you charge a handling fee this must be stated, as you can not charge more for the shipping than what you are charged to ship a product.  At least that is what I have always been told.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Norm

Each state is different but here if you charge a shipping and handling fee it is taxable. If it's only shipping than the shipping cost is not taxable.

Cedarman

I have yet to go the credit card route. When customers ask about using a credit card to pay, I say we are not taking cards at this time. I ask them to send a check or postal money order. I have never had anyone refuse to purchase because I would not take a credit card. If we discuss much I tell them  that helps keep costs down.  I have yet to have a bad check and we have taken them from all across the country and some for 5 figure amounts.  By the time the order is ready to ship the check has cleared anyway.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodmills1

A long time ago here we had a wild yoper night, I think it was during what turned out to be yoper week.  Some how during some real quick back and forth posts with a bunch of us who were on at the time.  It morphed into other languages.  I think I actually had a translator I got from google going. Then it shifted to ebonics.  So I was a yappin away.  Don't you want to ask about the vaccuming?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Furby

I'll ask, as I've been wondering............what about vaccuming ???

Avalancher

We use https://www.cartserver.com for all our shopping cart needs, as well as quickbooks pro to process credit cards. Fees for paypal are outrageous, and we ditched them long ago. We also found that Paypal is not very fair to a merchant if a problem arrises between a customer and a merchant. In almost all cases they just refund the purchaser without taking much of an explanation from the merchant.
Our family business has been on the web for about 5 years now, and we are pretty happy with our onlline shopping cart and credit card processsing methods. Our family business can be found here
to take a look...
http://www.gelstuff.com/

woodmills1

again one of those nights with a bunch of us on and this old fart was able to vaccume the whole house while keeping up with the give and take posts on the forum.  Lovely wife was working and I knew she would appreciate the clean floors in this 4300 sq ft thing we got lucky enough to buy at a fire sale price 4 years ago.  BTW I love to vaccume.

Jeff

We might have to have another Yooper night. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

ah be speakin in redneck today an' cleanin' an' vaccumin' while reckonin' like a yoper

I be rapin in redneck today and cleanin' and vaccumin' while dinkin' likes some yopuh'

I be speakin in wedneck today and cweaning and vaccuming whiwe thinking wike a yopew

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectt.cgi

Furby

So what's your vaccume of choice? ;)

woodmills1

still milkin my sears kenmore canister with power beater brush head for rugs.  Don't like uprights and haven't yet tried a bagless due to the amount of wood chips we generate.

MemphisLogger

I just dropped a new motor in my Progressive Model 116 HEPA Whisper Belt.  8)

This morning it sucked 1500 board feet of QS RO T&G in a little over an hour  :o 8)

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

GF

Has anyone used the E-Commerce from Microsoft?
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/online/cm/detail.mspx
Apparently is has an add in for Microsoft Frontpage.

woodmills1

Must have a large bag to fit those boards

Ironwood

HILLARIOUS REDNECK RAPPER!!!! THANKS FOR THE BELLY LAUGH. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!