iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another bandmill track question

Started by jrokusek, February 27, 2005, 03:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

I've been watching the thread called "making a track for a bandmill" for a few days.  I'm building a bandmill for hobby use also.  For the track I was thinking of using 3x3 angle iron.  Can I use 3/16" thick or should I step up to 1/4". 

My intent is to make it stationary, but moveable should the need arise.  If I build two sections, each 8 feet long.......think a guy could drag each section up on a tilting snowmobile trailer by himself?   I have no desire to put an axle under this thing.  I think it would have to be built a lot more stout than what I have in mind.

Jim

Dan_Shade

what you'll run into is my problem with the hudson track... it's a major hassle to get it leveled.

if you do that and get some 6x6 timbers cut to go under it, you'll be in good shape, probably.

it's a very cost effective way to set up a sawmill, but it's definately a pain to do it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Depends on how big of logs you plan on sawing I would think.I have 4x4  1/4 angle iron  for a track  and there is more iron under the angle iron.I've never had any trouble with it yet.I always like to build-buy bigger than what I need.But I can see your point about moving it.I feel if someone whats me to saw for them,they will get the logs to me.I have no wheels for mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

music_boy

My suggestion is,  put it on a trailer. Once you have the mill tracks leveled and welded on place, it shouldn't  change. Then, your trailer could be slightly off level one way or the other, but your tracks are still true to the saw carraige. I'm sure someone more creative than myself has come up with a way to have the best of both worlds on this one; true tracks on the ground with leveling a trailer frame, and the ability to to put the same frame on wheels to move. If not, my suggestion would be to have a trailer and a separate ground site.
My thoughts
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

jrokusek

Not a lot of big logs here on the plains of South Dakota. :'(  Now you got me thinking that I should have a stationary frame and one that I can tow.  Think I beter focus on one thing at a time.  Thanks for the responses!

Jim

D._Frederick

J.,

I would go to the 1/4 inch thick angle, you will have less problem with it springing. If you are going to move it around, I think that I would build the track frame out tubing, you will have a lot easier time leveling it. Making the tack in sections results in a lot more time in getting the track level and straight.  I went that way with my mill having 10 ft by 3X4 angle track sections, it was a bear to set-up. I ended up adding 6 inch by 20 ft channel iron to the track to hold the sections in place.

Thank You Sponsors!