iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 06, 2002, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Very nice Linda, I like the the color contrast too.

inspectorwoody

Very nice Linda  :)

What would it take to get one of those  ;)  ;D

ElectricAl

Inspector,

Rumor has it you guys are going to saw up a couple whacks of Walnut lumber.

When you're on the chain grading and you see a really slick 2 color put a "G" on it.

You know "G" for Gadget.  

Have it stacked separate. Save up 200', then go back through it after hours and pick out the best 100' .  If your eyes don't do this :o it's not good enough.

We can dry it for you and Linda can make you something within reason.
We are too busy for a roll top desk or kitchen cabinets right now. ;D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Patty

Wow Linda, I like the bench. I never understood why some like their walnut all one color...I think the contrast is what makes it so pretty. :)
 I just finished a front door in which the top & bottom panals are two-toned walnut.The side panals are honey locust. It turned out very pretty (if I do say so myself!). I want to cut flooring for Norm's office out of some walnut we have drying, and then use cherry for the wall panaling, with wanut trim. I think the colors will look cool. Half the fun of these projects is imagining all the possibilities.
I'd love to see more of your work. Please post photos if you have time. Keep up the good work. 8)

Patty
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ohsoloco

Patty, the rest of us might also say your door is pretty if ya post a pic  ;)

Patty

OK, Ohso, here is a pic. Now I'm all shy about my bragging...like well maybe it isn't nearly so neat as I thought..you know, stuff like that. Anyway, here is the pic of our new front door. This weekend hopefully we'll get the glass installed.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

woodbeard

You're right, it's even neater :D
I like that honey locust, nice figure.

inspectorwoody

Beautifal door Norm and Patty

Wonder if I save some green, if I could get all you wood handy FF members together and build me a house  :D

I've seen some pretty neat things on here

Now...if I could do that  ::)

:D  ;D

shopteacher

InspectorWoody,
   Don't know about building a house, but I'm getting the knack of build a barn.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ohsoloco

Well, by golly Patty, that is one pretty door...who needs a welcome mat with a door like that  :)

The honey locust is a nice contrast to the walnut.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that part of a crotch in the walnut rails?   Also, I'm assuming you used mortise and tenon joinery for the door...did you cut it "by hand"?

Did I mention that's a sweet door?    8)

Fla._Deadheader

Very nice door, Patty. Are ya gonna use plain glass or etched???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

Thanks guys. The walnut is from a crotch, we cut several slabs, I used two for this door, and finished three as table tops. They are about 2" thick, and will need substantial bases. I don't have the bases started yet.

Yes, we plan to use etched glass for the panals. I didn't like the thought of folks being able to see right into the living room when they walked up to the door. I mean you never know what Norm & I might be up to inside!  ;)

All the wood for the door Norm & I harvested off our farm . We have more honey locust trees than we know what to do with...they are a pest around here...like a weed. Nice to see we can get some use from them.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

inspectorwoody

Hey ya Patty

I wasn't so much thinking of going with the etched glass for fear of seeing what you and Norm would be doing.....it would be for the fear of seeing Norm in his "just got out of bed apparal"  :D  :D

I member he told us not to show up too early when we came out for he told us we would prob see such a site  :D

Might have to get some of that honey locust from ya...looks like some beautifal wood.

Norm

We live on a dead end road that isn't marked as such (there is a cemetary a couple of hundred yards from our place and the county won't put up a sign) so we get a car every now and then that finds the road ends at our house. I got up to get a drink one night and looked out the front window to see a car turning around in our driveway. Needless to say we were both surprised.

Honey locust wood is an under appreciated wood, it is hard with nice figure to it. The thorns sure make it a pain to harvest thou. I've got some stashed in the shed drying or we can cut up a fresh tree for ya Dustin.

ohsoloco

Norm, one of my past issues of Sawmill & Woodlot Mngmt. says that honey locust has a showy grain pattern like oak.  Just looking at the picture you posted, it looks a lot like cherry to me....just a little more ring porous.   How well does it machine with woodworking tools?

Norm

From the little that I have worked with it ohsoloco it is about the same as red oak. It also looks a lot like red oak but is not as open grained and the color is more pinkish in tint than oak. The sapwood is yellow and makes a nice contrast to the heart wood. It is not very rot resistant and and bugs love it, finding a good sawlog is hit or miss.

ohsoloco

Sounds like it doesn't have much in common with black locust.  We have some black locust posts out back that have been buried in the ground for at least 25 years, and they're still holding those grape vines up.  That's still some DanG pretty wood  :)

ElectricAl

Patty,

Sorry for the delay, been busy ::)

You wanted to see some of Linda's projects.

This is a White Oak bench she made a year ago.

The back legs lean back and the mortice for the arm rest was a little tricky. I made a jig for the router and plowed out the first one. Then Linda did the other. The rest of the mortices were pretty straight forward with the router.

Linda built the entire project her self except the one mortice.

Pretty nice spot to park my rickity Ash :D

Here is an Armoire we made from Soft Maple. We made raised panels, but when we did a dry fit I liked the flat panel look better.

Here is a new product we are trying in our retail sale room.
It's 2 color Walnut 5/8" drawer sides.  We'll see how it sells.

Lots of  :o , but no buyers yet. ???

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

inspectorwoody

That is some beautifal work Al and Linda  ;)

Norm

I will let you know when I have a use for some of that locust.

Norm

Nice work Linda and Al, do you guys sell custom pieces or is it for your own use.

No problem Dustin, I don't use much myself and no one else wants it so there will be plenty for you when you have a project in mind.

ElectricAl

Norm,

We build full projects for ourselves and family.

Then we make stuff for contractors, shops, and home hobbist.

We make boxes to cover lolly (sp?) columns, header boxes, window and door extensions, conduit chase enclosures, washer/dryer lift platforms, fire place mantles and surrounds.
Also, basic cut parts for small shops.

We have turned down large projects because we just don't have time.

The biggest project we turned down was a complete Quartersawn White Oak kitchen cabinet job and all the trim in Q W O. ::)

Do you and Patty do custom work?

Linda reminded me of a door we made from scraps :o

The frame is Chinese Elm, the panels are Baltic Birch, and Walnut 1/4 round.

The trim around the door is 300 year old Antique Southern Yellow Pine. Beams from a building built in the late 1800's were salvaged and hauled to us. We made trim for ourselves and flooring for others.

inspectorwoody

:o

Need I say anymore  ;) Awesome  ;D

Larry

Beautiful door.  Took a lot of thought to put that one together.

You have my permission to take the electrician out and shoot him!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV_hillbilly

That last part of your reply is a little drastic don't you think Larry :o
Hillbilly

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!