iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We have a winners!    Sugar Scoop Contest

Started by CHARLIE, May 06, 2002, 12:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wykle42548

sent in my answers to your contest . very educational learned a lot researching some of the questions.have one for you (what tree has 5 different shaped leaves)very common tree.  

wykle42548

deleate 5 insert 3 hit the wrong key ;D

Gordon

Well Charlie I can say this, those were some tough questions. I really had a hard time on #27 the tree that has the most different kinds of bugs on it at any given time of day. Had to guess at that one. :P :P :P

Ok Boys and Girls lets get this contest going! I've entered and so can all of you . No wait better yet don't enter that way I'll at least have a chance at the scoop. If more of you enter then my percentages of winning goes down. So yea thats it don't enter. :-/

I did learn alot, also got sidetracked reading some good stuff. ::)

Thanks Charlie for not only doing the contest but for the challenge as well and no I'm not sucking up one bit. ;D ;D
Gordon

CHARLIE

OK....the end of the month is fast approaching and the contest will be over. I will then post the answers I was looking for and post the winner. l got so few entries that I'm thinking of doing something special for each entrant.......just thinking about it though. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CHARLIE

Well I didn't have but 8 people enter, but they all sure did do their homework. It was a close contest.

We actually had a tie!  Leif Riddervold and Tom Cadenhead both got a score of 18.5!  Well, I only have one scoop, so I deducted .5 points from Tom's score 'cause he's my brother. ;D   Oh, OK Tom, I'll make you a scoop too.

Leif, if you will send me your mailing address I'll get the scoop in the mail to you.

Now, since I didn't have very many entrants, and because the ones that did enter really put forth some effort, if y'all would send me your mailing addresses, you all will get a participation turning. I don't know what it will be yet either. Leif and Tom, you'll get one of these too.

Send your mailing addresses too: cadnhead@forestryforum.com

Contest Answers
 1. What wood is the favorite for butchers' blocks?
 - American Sycamore, because of it's toughness. I know
 hardrock maple is used but sycamore is the favorite wood.      
 2. What native American wood is considered best for making arrows?
- Port Orford White Cedar is considered the best even though other woods are used.
3. What is the wood most preferred in the manufacture of artificial limbs for people?
- I accepted either Black Willow or Buckeye
 4. What wood is the most desirable for manufacturing of containers for liquids?
- White oak because the pores are filled with tyloses which do not permit liquids to penetrate.
 5. What wood is the most satisfactory-and is used in large quantities for storage-battery  separators.
- Port Orford White Cedar
 6. How was the town of Flagstaff, Arizona, named, and what tree was involved?
- Some of you only told me the tree was pine. You only got partial credit if you did. There are a lot of different pines. The correct answer was:  On July 4, 1876, lumberjacks stripped the tallest Ponderosa pine of all its branches to fly the American Flag.
 7. What tree has aerial roots?
- There were a bunch of answers for this question. I was thinking of Bald Cypress, but everyone came up with other valid answers like mangrove, banyan, etc.  All were acceptable answers.
 8. Which tropical American wood is it that, when the leaves are bruised, has a strong odor like that of garlic?
- Well, this one worked me to death.  I was after the answer, Salmwood, but wouldn't you know that bignoniaceae was right too and laurel, Ecuador laurel and Spanish Elm. But I got other answers too and checked them out and lo and behold their leaves smelled like garlic too. So most everyone got this question right.
 9. What wood is used most for making manicure sticks?
- Sour Orange......I accepted orange wood.
10. What is the hardest, heaviest and closest-grained wood known?
- Lignum vitae.  Did you know they made submarine propeller bearings out of this stuff, 'cause it's hard and is quiet.
11. What type of pine furnishes a figure similar to that seen in birds-eye maple and is sometimes referred to as bird's-eye pine?
- The only answer I accepted for this question was Lodgepole pine....and I ain't arguing about it with anyone!
12. What wood is generally used in the manufacture of toothpicks?
- Paper Birch, though if you just said birch I marked it right.
13. What spruce was first discovered on Pikes Peak?
- Blue Spruce (1862), also called Colorado Blue Spruce.
14. What American wood is particularly suitable for food containers?
- American beech because it does  not impart taste or odor.
15. Nearly 80 percent of what wood is used in the manufacture of wooden tool handles?
- The correct answer was hickory. I gave everyone credit for this question because somewhere along the line, the 80% got changed to 8%. So you could've put down balsam and I would have given you credit. And who said I was I was insensitive.
16. What wood is used for making matches?
- Aspen is the wood most used for making matches. Cottonwood, Balsam, poplar, linden and semul are also used.
17. What state in the U.S. has the largest number of different kinds of trees?
- Florida with 314 species of native and naturalized trees. Texas, Georgia and California follow in that order.  I could not believe that Tom missed this one.
18. Approximately how many crossties are required for a mile of railway tracks?
- I accepted any answer from 2500 to 3500.
19. What southern tree of the U.S. has no heartwood until it is 18 years of age or over?
- Longleaf pine
20. What is the whitest known wood and what is the blackest?
- American holly is the whitest and Gaboon Ebony is the blackest. If you said just ebony, you got partial credit because there are several types of ebony.
21. What is the wood from which practically all lead pencils are made?
- I was looking for Red Cedar. If you just said cedar, you got partial credit.  I also accepted incense cedar as correct.
22. What tree supplies us with quinine, used to treat malaria?
- The Chinchona tree from Peru. I also accepted Fever tree.
23. What tree provides us with strychnine?
- I was looking for nux vomica (India), but accepted Strychnos tree and Loganiaceae.
24. What tree is stripped of its bark every ten years and continues to grow and thrive for 150 years or more?
- Cork oak or cork tree
25. How is the weight of teak logs reduced so that they will not sink in water?  
- Before felling, the trees are first girdled completely round into the heartwood, in which condition the tree dies. In about 3 years it becomes lighter than water and are cut down.  I was surprised at how many got this one right.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Thanks Charlie!  Great questions and I learned a lot. I wonder why Budweiser has the big claim to fame of Beech wood aged when the Beech wood imparts no flavors? I will have to experiment on this. ;D

Tom

You know, something told me Florida has the most different trees but I got to thinking about how long California is and that it goes from the ocean to the desert and just couldn't imagine that they didn't have the most variety.  ah well, sigh.

I'm ready to do it again.  Did you use up all the hard ones already?

Gordon

Congrats to both of you.  8) 8) 8)

Thanks for putting all the time into this Charlie, I had a blast with it. Shame more people didn't take the time to enter as well but it's their loss. ;)

Thanks again
Gordon

RavioliKid

Thanks for the good time, Charlie!

I think I got about 3.5 points.  :-[
RavioliKid

Tom

:D Good Time Charlie.  That's rich Rav :D :D

swampwhiteoak

Thanks for putting together an interesting contest Charlie.

Jeff

I just want you all to know that Charlie said I came in 3rd place. Dang proud of that.

bjorn

Charlie,

That sure was a "sweet" contest!  Look forward to receiving the scoop.  I always enjoy hand made wooden turned items!

Bjorn (aka Leif).

Jeff

ah! the Mystery is solved. Wondered who that leif guy was :)

Think about it, this is the perfect forum for you.

Congrats on the contest win, it was a tough one. I really tried. Problem was that I just thought I knew some of the answers and did not look them all up, resulting in deductions, like saying just ebony for darkest wood, and cottonwood for matches.  

I bet Charlie was sure glad that he didnt have to pay freight to Denmark or somewhere!  I'm still waiting for the day when I might have to send a hat to New Zealand or somewhere.  I had someone buy one of my paintings one time that lived in England. It cost $65 to ship it and it took 6 weeks to get there.

bjorn

For all of yall out there who didn't enter the contest, you don't know what you missed out on winning.  I received my scoop from Charlie today, and it is a beaut.  The picture that he posted earlier does not do it justice.  It is smaller than you might think, and is quite delicate, yet looks like it will last.  True craftsmanship.  Thanks Charlie.    8)

CHARLIE

I appreciate that Bjorn. I'm glad you like it. I make 'em that size so they'll fit inside the sugar bowl with the lid shut.
Charlie

CHARLIE

OK.....I finally got the quiz participation gifts completed and they will be in the mail soon.  I turned each of you participants a Walnut Bottle Stopper (fancy cork). They are all different in shape so everyone's will be different. I hope y'all enjoy them. I want to thank each of you for taking the time to participate in the contest. I appreciated it very much.  8) 8) 8)
Charlie

Tom

I asked Charlie what a Bottle Stopper stopped a bottle from doing and he said "leaking".

Oh, "you mean it keeps it upright"

Getting aggravated, he said, 'It keeps the flies out".

Not giving an inch I said, "It has fly swatters on it?'

He said, ' I'm going to bed."  and he did.

Gordon

First let me say thanks to Charlie. But I do also have to say that was classic Tom. :D :D :D

Gordon

Jeff

Thank you Charlie!  Now, what are the chances of you picking me up a bottle to put it in when you go on vacation? ;)

CHARLIE

No problem Jeff...in fact, I think I have a Jack Daniels bottle I just threw in the trash....I have the last of it's contents sitting in front of me right now in a glass. I'll get the bottle out of the trash and send it to you C.O.D.
;D ;D ;D
I want you to be happy!
 8) 8) 8)
Charlie

Jeff

Hey be careful, the last I heard you have anything to do with jack, you and Tom almost burnt north Florida down and were almost mistaken for drunk arabs.  

Cant remember the name of that thread now.

oh yeah, "splittin wood"
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,453.0.html

RavioliKid

Hey, Charlie!

I got that beautiful stopper in the mail today! How gorgeous!

8) Thank you so much!  8)

Now, I need to go get me a bottle...

;)
RavioliKid

CHARLIE

I'm glad you like it Rav!  I'll have an empty Jack bottle pretty soon....I can send that to you......C.O.D. of course... ;D
Charlie

Thank You Sponsors!