iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron Horse

Started by Grawulf, February 26, 2005, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

Guys, Do any of you own or have you seen a Jonsered Iron Horse in action?
I have a chance to buy one for considerably less than the new price and it's only been used 2-3 hours tops. I have some large logs ( 30" by 10') that need to come up a 20 degree slope. Think it would do it?  Am presently using an arch and a 1943 Allis "G" or a 4-wheeler. Would I be better off spending bigger bucks and going for a 4-wheel drive tractor. I'm a small-scale operation so I just need something to do the job. Thanks!     Devan
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Jonsered/Tilton_Jonsered_iron_horse_lpage.html

Tom

That is a really neat little device.  It looks as if it would be real handy around an milling site and easily ltransportable too.

I would worry a little about the ability to move logs .  There was one being used in Moultrie, Ga. at the Agricultural show and the fellow were having a bad time with it.  It would rear up and the log wouldl be too  heavey or mis-positioned or they couldn't turn it, or........

The problems may have been the operator's experience, or lack of it.  Lots of times that is the case.  I wouldl have to see one with an experienced operator doing what I wanted done before I spent the money on it.

I remember one problem being traction.  The thing was too light and wouldl skid around.  Theh operator rode on it but that didn't always help.

This was on prepared ground too, Flat packed dirt parking area and some asphalt.

If this link is how they are supposed to work, I'd sure like to have one.

Iron Horse Link

leweee

Looks like the kind of machine (with all the attachments) that a landscaper would just love :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

stumpy

Did you buy the Iron Horse? How much$ are they?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Grawulf

Nope Stumpy, I'm still waitin' on somebody that uses one to chime in here. The pro model goes for over $10.000.  :o The man that wants to sell offered to let me try it out - he's pulled good sized logs up a healthy incline with no problems - I think Tom's right - it depends on who's runnin' the machine. Still waitin'................. :-\

Sprucegum

That's a neat looking unit!
I have been thinking about doing something similar with my 6.5 horse garden tiller - replace the tines with tires, build a little arch and drag away. It should handle anything I cut when thinning the stand, I hope.

Thank You Sponsors!