iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

should my woodmizer be yellow?

Started by spencerhenry, February 24, 2005, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

sometimes i think a more appropiate color for my mill would be yellow, as in lemon. yesterday the sawdust and ice build up broke the two "velocity fuses" on the back of the log lift cylinders. after an hour of chipping ice with an axe, gallons of warm water, and the forlift, i finally got access to the fittings. now i know that is not necessarily a problem with the mill, but the fittings should be better protected. (not the first time). but it is nonetheless frustrating. i happened to have a couple from the last time so no big deal, except i had to go to town to get more hydraulic oil. (1.5 hrs round trip). this morning i topped off the oil, got the hydraulics all working again. and had the mill running, log on the deck, and the saw head wont go up or down. messed around with it, taking panels off, checking for voltage etc.. for the better part of an hour. not long except it was 10 degrees and windy, in the shade. called woomizer, didnt get very far. this is the 3rd time the up down has done this, i have lost lots of time trying to fix it, everytime i get it to work, but never find anything wrong.
the mill is not yet two years old, one piece broke at the welds on the log turner, had to replace the switch that turns on the hydraulic pump, 3 screws holding the electrical track to the frame broke off, up down motor is at this exact moment doesnt work, velocity fuses broke twice, wires going into back of blade guide arm motor, broke off flush with the strain relief, power feed sometimes is not smooth, debarker alarm works intermittently,(thats ok), remote accuset cable is cracked in several places.
seems like for a brand new $34,000 machine i should have that many problems.
but to my current problem, up down motor wont work. worked fine yesterday, but this morning no. it is getting power. saw head is not stuck    (can turn the gear box pulley by hand). anybody got any ideas? mill has 233 hrs mostly cutting beams.

Bibbyman

Sometimes I think things wait until the weather is cold and miserable before it decides to break. >:(

Yea,  We had both of those HD fuses break off last winter on the same day.   I replaced them temporarily with a short piece of iron pipe.  Then I had a machinist friend turn new threads on the old ones so they could be re-used.  Mary has got into the habit of raising the loader and frame to the travel position and cleaning out the gunk around the cylinder and frame each evening – when it's likely to get below freezing.  No problems this year with that.

Here is a before and after.

Handy things around the mill

We've had little gremlins doing their dirty work here and there too - but over 3 years and 1,700+ hours,  it's been darn reliable. 

Make mine ORANGE.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

Got 8500 plus hours on our 96   LT30HDTE.  It has had many different operators which is bad for any piece of equipment.  Have had some forward control issues and some wear and tear, roller here , maybe a bearing there, few brake pads.  We do not have the hydraulic arms, always have log deck instead.
We've got some blue machinery that is very productive, but have had a few more problems.  Have a 92 grey WM resaw with probably 18,000 hours on it, runs like new everyday.  Love orange and love grey.

Of all the companies I have dealt with over the years, WM has given us superior service.  Not to say they are perfect, but they are better than any other company on their service and parts availability.  Blue does a good job, its just that orange is better.

Spencerhenry, I hope you get things going and you be sure to keep that cold weather where you are. Cold weather always taxes people and equipment.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

spencerhenry

went back out to the mill, opened up the brushes, looked fine. put it back together, and tried it again. it works! started the mill, got all ready to go, and it refused to go up or down again, this time the accuset screen was blank. fiddled and fiddled and sometimes it would go up and not stop, sometimes go down and not stop, and sometimes do nothing at all. called woodmizer, john immediately told me that the computer went bad. on the screen "fatal error F line...". sending me a new one today. i am not an easily pleased person, but i am absolutely tickled with their service.
problems are frustrating, but always get fixed. thanks woodmizer

ronwood

Broke one the HD fuses off this winter too. Always need to remove any of the materials behind the lifing arms. Was able to saw off the broken threads and reinstall. Did not think it would work but it is still working.  Bought a pair to have on hand.  Other than that I have had very few problems (315 hrs.) other than those that was my fault. Support has been very good.

Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

raycon

To  hopefully keep that from happening again,welded on the bottom of the log turner supports on my mill are sections of leaf springs to shield the hydraulic fittings.  Down side is it gives more surface area to freeze to the ground.
Lot of stuff..

Cedarman

I think I've got the solution to the freezing to the ground problem.
Move south.  Would that be an option?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dewwood

I had a similiar problem with the up down on my WM with the same symptoms.  Sometimes it would work and sometimes it just would not.   After much #@&* and lots of calls to WM, oh yeah it always happened on a very cold day, I finally talked to their electrical man (possibly Sparks) and tested a couple of things.  Took motor off and took to repair shop and had them bench it, tested fine.  I took it back and put it on the mill and it worked fine for a few days.  To make a long story somewhat shorter, there was moisure in the motor which was freezing and not allowing it to work.  Started putting a heat lamp over it at night and I have not had a problem with it since and do not put heat lamp on it any more.

This may be something to try, it does not cost a lot and seemed to work for me.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Engineer

Glad you got your problems fixed. 

I was going to suggest, since I don't have any problems with my Woodmizer (other than mice living in the engine occasionally) that we trade even, and you can get a mill that works. 

1985 Wm LT30G13. 

OK, maybe not.....   ;D

woodmills1

the simple fix for the velocity fuse problem is to never leave the feet of the loader in the down position during cold weather.  Either put them in the travel position or put some scrap underneath them.  I broke one my first winter, bought extras for the glove box but have never used them.  I usually post a winter tips entry that includes this info in the fall/winter coming months
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!