iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Q for Jeff? or anyone...

Started by sigidi, February 23, 2005, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Jeff I clicked on a random photo to look at an interesting pic and the next one in the folder was this one!!!!!!!!!!

do you have any background on it? (other than dem big logs ;D :D)
Always willing to help - Allan

Pete J

I hear the Cafe Thompson has the best GRITS in town!

sigidi

Ok, OK a new competition - a bag of sawdust for the funniest comment delivered free!!!!!!

Tom

Being a Grits con-a-sewer I'll have to hunt up that resturaunt.

Seems I remember a thread awhile back that had that picture in it and the story was about hauling a single tree through town with a convoy of trucks.

Tom

DanG

If there ever was a log that deserved the name "DanG big log" I'll be DanGed if that weren't the one.  DanG, that's a big ol' log! :o :o  Can ya imagine how many stickers ya could make outta that one?  DanG! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I can just picture the truck showing up at the mill and the driver getting down and saying , "just cut it up into 1x4's ". :)

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

That image is widley available as a reprint I believe. Not sure who posted that, but I do know it was at one time on a coke post card. That photo has been cropped i think, but one of the buildings in the background in the full image has a big coke sign on it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Coka-cola had some pretty good stuff related to the timber industry way back in the day. I have a few things. I;ll try to dig some of them out and scan.  One is a print that I really like. I have two of them. I have actually considered having a contest someday with the one that is in the lesser condition as a prize.

Ianab

By the time ya sawn and stacked those I think you would feel like more than just a glass of Coke  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

I think back at that time, coke was coke "the real thing"  :D

1943 Coca-Cola print

Paschale

That's COOL Jeff!   8)  I used to collect a ton of Coke stuff growing up, and still have quite a bit.  That's worth looking for--it's always fun to have something to look for at antique shows and stuff.  Thanks for sharing that pic!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

I love Coke stuff, and I don't mean today's knock off stuff. ::)
The old stuff just keeps getting more and more expensive to collect though.
My Grandma has a super small Coke bottle, just a couple inches tall from way back.

sawguy21

Can anyone imagine hauling  loads like that on those old underpowered trucks, they look like Macks. And those brakes. Yeeesh.
Several years ago I witnessed some loads on the west coast. Hayes HDX'S with 14' bunks stacked as high as the loader would reach with tree length fir. Water pouring off the brakes on the hills. Nerves of steel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sigidi

Geese Tom,

do you have a photo like memory or something like that? I remember that post with Ron's Underwater Logging book, but couldn't place the huge log pic in it??

Did you do a search for that pic? or ya knew where to look?

Furby

I couldn't find anything in the search, so I figure Tom just has a great memory! ;)

Jeff

Dont you guys realize that any photo you find in the gallery can easily be found on the forum? just click the link underneath it that says:
Click to search forum for picture

Tom

Jeez Jeff!   I was on the way to becoming a Hero! 

Jeff's right.  The trick is finding the picture.  :D

Roxie

That was mean Jeff!  Kinda like blurting out there is no Santa Claus!  We thought it was magic!   :'(
Say when

Tom

You can find the thread like Jeff suggests or you can do like I do and just remember all the pictures and the threads that they are in. ::) :D

Roxie

Thank you for the restoration of my belief in you, Tom!   smiley_christmas
Say when

Tom

SwampDonkey

Knowledge is powerful stuff  8)  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Paschale

You know, I saw this picture in this thread and I said, "boy...I know I've seen that in the forum somewhere."  I decided to click on the link Tom provided, and was I surprised that *I* was the one who originally posted this picture.  I was really jolted when I saw it under my name, because I didn't remember doing it at all.   :D :D :D :D :D

So much for MY memory...   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Well! .......     I just want to know one thing. :-\

sigidi

I know I'll probably regret asking - but what do you want to know Tom?

Furby

I've used that lots of times Jeff, what I did this time was search the info on the pic posted. It has worked in the past, but it found nothing this time.
Did something change?

Jeff

I dont understand your question furby.

Tom

Anything will do.  I just want to know "one" thing. :D

Ain't that dumb?  ;D

Furby

Sorry Jeff, never mind. I figured out the problem, I left the code in the search.
The two pics have totally different codes and can't be searched using ALL the info contained in "properties".
It needs to be edited down to just the filename, like the search line in the gallery does on it's own. ::)
I can be a little slow sometimes, sorry. ::)

Here is the code for the same pic, from both threads. (Had to add some spaces. ;) )

http://www. forestryforum. com/images/YaBBImages/userpics/Forum-bigtrees.jpg

http://www. forestryforum. com/gallery/albums/archives/logs-moving/Forum-bigtrees.jpg

If we pull up "properties" on a pic and search just the file name.....in this case "Forum-bigtrees.jpg", and leave out the code, it works fine.  ;D

sigidi

Or when ya see the pic in the gallery you can use the fantastic search which is a link under the
"click to copy photo insertion code"

it says

"click to search forum for picture"

sort of looks like this -

then ya can get all the posts the pics was used in and it pre-sorts through the post to the spot where the pic is so ya don't need to scroll through pages and pages if it was a really good post!!!

Furby

Same thing, but you search a photo straight from a thread rather then finding it in the gallery first.

KiwiCharlie

Hi Guys,
That first picture at the start of the thread got me thinking.  I was sure I had a couple of photos of big trees, and yes I just found them.  My stepmother, who until recently worked for Timberwest on Vancouver Island sent them to me.

This is of a 28 foot cedar taken down on Vancouver Island, sometime in the 60's.

This is of a huge Fir which came from Zabellos, also on Vancouver Island during the 60's.

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!