iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suunto PM5/1520D

Started by JD_Kid, February 23, 2005, 02:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
what are ya views on these clinometers ?? also any ideas on making a cheep hight pole  ,maybe PVC pipe   just got to put in some growth plots   and thinking of getting some handy tool  ..any must have kinda things  ...a mate is going to show me the how to do part and also the records needed  so he can build up a growth  pattern
thanks
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

sawmillsi

Hi JD,

The question should be how much money have you got (and want to spend) and how much time do you have to make the calculations?

I have had a heap of experience with clino's at university (doing my forestry degree), but now don't really need one (but if I had one wold probably use it all the time).

My choice for any tree over about 9' - 12' would be to go to a digital clino that automatically measures the distance from the tree and works out all the maths etc... to give you a height straight from the clino.

I have seen them advertised here in Australia and I assume that they are available in the US.

Si

JD_Kid

Hi ya
bit of back ground info  ..i have just got a job helping a guy looking after about  600 acres of trees in  New Zealand  mainly doug  firs  with some pines  ,this is a family partnership  kinda deal  that my other 1/2 is tied up in  ,i'm helping out  for 3 things  1, always  loved trees and almost  did my training with the old forest service in NZ (changed to timberlands )  2, kinda keeps some of the work inhouse and can keep some hands on for the partnership  and 3, i need the money  ;) anyhow  i have looked around and can get a suunto  pm5/1520D  for 215 Kiwi$  plus tax  (1 kiwi$ = about 70 US cents) it would be good to have a bright lights and bells model but with the amount of recording thay want to do i can't see the need ( not realy my view  tho as i feel with out info ya shooting blind)  most of these trees were planted in 1996 and 1999   ...how offen would a plot be recorded  ?? should data be recorded after things like pruneing and thining ? or say a few very dry years ?
thanks
JD

Wudman

The Suunto clinometers are a good piece of equipment in my opinion.  I've been using them for about 20 years now.  My preference for scale is the percent / topographic.  Height calculations are simple for a known distance (25, 50, or 100 feet on the percent scale - 33 or 66 feet on the topo scale).  I don't know what a similar metric scale would be.  If money was no object, I'd own a Haglof hypsometer / transponder.  I've demonstrated one and they are nice.

As far as entry into the stand, you would want decent stocking numbers (trees per acre) at the time of planting.  My experience is mainly with southern yellow pine, but the principles are the same for any species.  Our first true inventory of the stand would occur around age ten.  A systematic sample would be conducted to determine trees per acre, average stand height to determine site index, average height across diameter class for stand modeling purposes, and tree quality to assess potential of individual stems.  This information is fed into the growth and yield models to project timing and removals for the first thin.

A second entry into the stand would occur post thin.  For us, this is a fairly intensive cruise to generate good numbers for projecting the final harvest.  The data above is collected as well as volume data.  A harvest cruise would be conducted prior to final harvest.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

SwampDonkey

We have permanent smaple plots in forest stands around the province that are measured every ten years from dbh 2 cm and up. As you can imagine every 10 years there are new trees to include in the sample plot and maybe some die out. Sampling is 2 to 4 % of the stand on a systematic grid. We use SUUNTO's with 15/20m scale, I prefer the percent scale though as long as the difference between top and bottom shot is under 100 %.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawmillsi

JD,

the forestry in NZ are real helpfull with that kind of thing. They are more into softwood plantations than us Australians.

They are MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry) - the website is www.maf.govt.nz/forestry

On the south island there is also the University of Canterbury's school of forestry (they might be able to help).

There is also the NZ Forest Research Institute.

Hope this helps

Si

JD_Kid

Hi ya Sawmillsi
the block of trees i'm getting tied up with  was planed out  by one of the guys teaching at canty uni ... one of my inlaws is coming down next week  to set me up in the plot's and recording  he's tied up in mangering about 12 000 Ha's in the north island  for a asian group  so has his finger  on the pulse  with trends ,tool,marketing etc etc  ..there are alot of good links  with a heap of info  infact  canty uni has some growth downloads

http://www.fore.canterbury.ac.nz/software/index.shtml

and a heap of links on here too

http://www2.piperpat.co.nz/nz/ag/forest.html

http://www.nzforestry.co.nz/nzf_portal.asp

http://www.newzealandwebsites.com/Agriculture_and_Horticulture/Forestry/

http://www.maf.govt.nz/forestry/index.htm

thanks for all ya replys
JD

Thank You Sponsors!