iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle 200 Question

Started by FeltzE, February 22, 2005, 08:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeltzE

Operating my Nyle 200 with the kiln at 120f the condenser coil is cool to the touch, not cold. I know that's a subjective call but with a load of about 700 bd ft of 4/4 red oak at 12% MC I only pulled about 2 gal of water off the load in 12 hrs.

Should I have a AC guy come and service the unit? If so is there any specifics that I should provide the service tech?

Eric

Charles

just a top of the hat question was the lumber froze before you started to dry??
Just a matrix idea
charles

FeltzE

No, The lumber has been in the kiln for 36 hrs prior to my "observation" noted earlier. The lumber was kept stickered and airdried indoors, for a cpl months prior to entry to the kiln. 

Entry MC about 15-23%

Entry Temp 50 F

Compressor set to 100% cycle

Kiln Temp 120f

Some poplar included in the load, lower mc 13% avg

I did boost the start up temp to 110 using a torpedo heater after loading the lumber in .

I picked up the Nyle 200 second hand with very little use on it about 5 years ago, it dosn't get run all the time and may not be run for months at a time. It really pulls the moisture off pine loaded green very well. 1000 ft in 5 days to 10%. It just seems that the last but of drying is painfully slow.

Target MC 8% to resaw and run through the logosol for T&G

Eric

Brad_S.

Feltze,

I don't even want to pretend I know the answer, just giving you feedback on a problem I had.

My coils were cold at the top and warm at the bottom. Called an HVAC guy and he said the desicant had broken down and plugged the capillary tube. He changed it and charged up the unit. Worked fine for a week, then would run fine for an hour after turning it on, then stopped working. Ended up sending it to Nyle to get it done right! (thanks Don.)

What's my point? I dunno. ::)

I guess if it seems warmer than in the past, you have issues working.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

I have an EBAC LD3000 and I know that most of the mfrs use fairly specialized chargings that can proform to certain specs. Send it to Nyle, get it done right and ask if anything can be updated to run at higher temps on the top end. Seems most have moved that way to get better sterilizing heats, get your wallet out, the good news is that I wished I had bought a Nyle!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

FeltzE

Well, I hate to mess with something thats still working... I just wish there was some way to guage the effectiveness of the unit to evaluate wether or not it needs to be serviced.

My highly calibrated testing system, (reaching in and feeling the coils) certainly isn't or dosn't warrant an overhaul.  We are pulling moisture off the load only about 2 1/2 gallons in the last 24 hrs, (again 700 ft 4/4 hardwoods at about 10% mc) The last moisture is the hardest to get out,

I'll probably run a bullet heater in there long enough to push the temp up to 160 (compressor off) then shut it down and pull the load tomorrow or friday.

Reid, I bought my system used, called Nyle and they were great, I've needed only a cpl small parts and they were able to send them out the next day. I certainly can't say anything bad about those folks!

Eric

Don_Lewis

It looks like you are  drying at about 1% per day (unless there is a lot of poplar in there.) That does not sound too bad for Oak at this MC.  The line coming back to the compressor should be about 55 degrees.  Let the temperature creep up to higher than the recommended limit.

FeltzE

Thanks Don, I knew you were lurking out there...  ;D

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!