iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gonna be a cold time

Started by Quartlow, February 22, 2005, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

in the old town tonight, the new White mountain Icecream freezer arrived today, have a nephew at the crocery store right now getting the fixins for vanilla lovers vanilla!!!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Kevin_H.

man that does sound good, I read your post and had to walk to the freezer to get a schwans ice cream bar, Now not nearly as good as home made vanilla but it will have to do...

dont eat it too fast, might give ya a headache... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Teri

I just slurpped down a home made chocolate shake. Just wish I could have tasted it. Been sick for a week and can't taste or smell nothin'.  :-[  :-[

Ed_K

Now you done did it  :). I was ok till I read ice cream, now I gota get some.
Welcome Teri, hope you get better soon  8).
Ed K

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sigidi

Whats the Pic Jeff?

I know I'm a foreigner... ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

sawguy21

That is a lazy man's ice cream maker 8). I like it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Those are John Deere hit and miss engines turning big White mountain Ice cream freezers. The only way to make homemade ice cream for a crowd of 5000 +  :D

sawguy21

5000?? Uh yeah, I see what you mean. Ignore lazy in my last post. DanG, I want some creamy thick ice cream made with whole cream, not that phony partly skim ice milk. Vanilla.

OneWithWood

So, Jeff, have you made arrangements to have one of those at the piggy roast this year?  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MULE_MAN

Good Ideal !!! You have 164 day Jeff to find one them  ;D

That's not a problem is it  ???  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Jeff

Quote from: OneWithWood on February 23, 2005, 09:35:21 AM
So, Jeff, have you made arrangements to have one of those at the piggy roast this year?  :)

Ya know, I tried last year. The guy lives right here in Clare County.  He says he has to have a minimum of 2000 people with 2 bucks a piece or he dont crank.  That ice cream is sure good though. I go to about 3 events a year where they do this and ALWAYS get me a dish. ;D

I think it would be very cool thing to do but not for that kinda money. I checked into what those freezes cost less the engine one time. Whoowee man! Over $1000 dollars just for one freezer.

SwampDonkey

Father has made ice cream for ever. He does it with a motorized freezer now, but up til about 10 years ago it was all hand crank. He makes vanilla or grapenut. You can actually buy grapenut ice cream in the local stores, but not in the US. But, of course the store bought isn't as good as the home made. The store bought is laced with some kinda of gum powder, that likely ain't fit to eat. That's what makes the stuff gell I guess.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Making homemade icecream has always been in my memories. Here is a link to the bio my dad started writing just before he died, that tells a little of this. Back in the 30's the Brokaw place was known for the place to go to have home made icecream. I have my Grandads ice saw that he used to cut ice from the salt river for use in making ice cream.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/dad.htm

I have some old freezers here that are still capable but only make small amounts. THe oldest one dates to the 19 teens.

SwampDonkey

Thanks for sharing the pics and the writeup Jeff.

My dad and my uncle and grandfather made it all the time and they used to see who could hold the most. :D :D They also had the cows, chickens, Rawliegh Vanilla and all the salt you ever needed. Everyone here had ice houses as well, it was the only way to keep stuff, no fridge. ;)

Personally though, I was never that struck on ice cream. I rarely buy it and when dad makes if I get one bowl in, I'm lucky, cause he makes constant trips to the ice cream tub until it's all eaten. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

S-D, homeade ice cream is one of life's great pleasures to be enjoyed at a slow pace.

SwampDonkey

Judging by the way father goes at the home made ice cream, it should be eaten as if it was an endless supply and nothing else matters. ;D :D

Quartlow

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 24, 2005, 06:00:31 AM
Judging by the way father goes at the home made ice cream, it should be eaten as if it was an endless supply and nothing else matters. ;D :D

I tend to  agree with him, sounds like your dad is a wise man  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

hiya

I remember as a teen ager we would make a 10 qt. freezer of ice cream every saturday night. Dad took the crank off and got a jack to use a electric motor. We would use big bowls and fill them several times. Boy just to relive one of them nights again.
Richard
RichardinMd.

DanG

Richard, ice cream churns ain't all that hard to come by.  Get yourself one, scrape up some appropriate ingredients, and do it to it.  Even if your Dad ain't usually with ya anymore, he'll probably show up for that! ;) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

My folks got one brand new (electric) at a yard sale, hardly used. I can't image anyone buying one and not using it. ;)

Phorester

Hand cranked.  Only way to do it.  A couple friends of mine brag on their ice cream makers but they're electric.  I say what's the point?  They say you're crazy to crank it yourself. Sorry, boys, just tastes better to do the work yourself.

My parents gave us a White Mountain cedar hand cranked maker shortly after our marriage.  26 years later, still have the same ice cream maker and wife. Lucky for me, haven't worn out either one yet.

Jeff

If we can find a way to do it, I want to include homemade icecream at this years pigroast.

Furby

Maybe convert a couple of hand crank ones over?
Maybe a big flywheel or something and everyone gives it a spin as they show up.
Maybe make a contest out of it.
Just tossing out ideas.............

KiwiCharlie

Hi Guys,
I see someone in the house here got an electric ice cream maker for Christmas!  Hasnt been used yet, so I cant judge, but I do know that when I was a kid, it was my job to hand crank the butter churner!  Made nicer butter than the bought stuff though!  Its the love (or whining from me!) that makes it taste better!  :D
This pig roast sounds great - I had a thought today that maybe us Kiwis could organise one for ourselves seeing as we may not make it to yours!  Could be fun to hold one here at the same time as yours.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!