iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 stroke oils

Started by Quartlow, February 22, 2005, 02:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

What kind of mixes are yu running in what, I've been snooping around an came across the new Mobil MX2T and this stuff called Opti2

http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-2.htm

I came across a couple threads elswhere that guys where runnng this stuff at anywhere from 75 to 100 to 1.   DanG 50 to 1 scares me  :D

For what its worth I'm running an 075 stihl  a 750 echo and a 500 echo Currently using echo oil an32 to 1
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Lobo

I have used various big box house brands, as well as Echo, Tanaka, Husqvarna, Stihl, Castrol, Opti-2 and presently Amsoil full synthetic 100:1 premix that I mix at 80:1

My favorites in the 50:1 have been Stihl and Tanaka.

Opti-2 worked well also and so far the Amsoil @ 80:1 is excellent.

I like the leaner mixes as there is less smoke and odor.

lucky_cutter

I have been running amsoil as well. about 80:1  The outside of my saws look as used  as they are. Inside the moter still looks new. I really like not having all the smoke when I am cutting. I wonder if stihl and husky know how much cleaner their saws run on synthetic oil. I was concerned when I switched from the 40:1, but I noticed how much better the saws ran. My  husky272 has run on amsoil for over a decade and hasn't lost a beat. Though it does look "beat up". Every once in a while, when I take the saw in for a check up, My husky dealer will look inside the moter, shake his head, and put everything back together. He tells me that whatever I am doing is working and to keep it up. That is good enough for me.

tnlogger

amsoil is all we run in every thing. try a test LOL chuck a bolt in a drill press clamp a steel
plate to the bed, get differant brands of saw mix and use a lot of preasure see wicth one
ones will lock the press up.  :D :D :D
gene

sigidi

Gene,

you sound wise - where did ya learn that little trick?

It makes so much sense, oil a lubricant, put it under pressure and see how it performs and all without haveing to run all the diferent oils in ya machine - so simple
Always willing to help - Allan

tnlogger

sigidi i dont know about being wise  :D i'm just an old hillbilly that has to be shown.
when i was looking at amsoil a menonite i know has a saw shop and and took me in the back with about 10 differant oils and did the drill prees trick to show me the differance
You put any nonsinthetic oil under the bolt and in 5to10 sec it will start smoking and you can hear the drillpress slowing down and then stop. with amsoil it will take anywhere from 1 to 2 min for the same results.
gene

KiwiCharlie

Hi Guys,
Is there a "name" for the Amsoil synthetic oil you talk of.  You know like 'Amsoil Super-dooper 100:1 premix' ! :D
Id like to find out if I can get it locally.
Thanks,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

sawguy21

Iwas scared to try Opti2 at 100:1 in my Husky 345. Kept pulling the plug and muffler. Not a whisper of trouble after 4 years and I can hear the difference at the top end. I have seen the light!! I do run 50:1 in my 045 super. I tried the original 24:1 using Stihl (Castrol) and it was a dog. Smoked and poor throttle response.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quartlow

Charlie
its called
Saber™ Professional Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

barbender

I had a jonsered 2165 that threw the crank bearing last spring.  I'd cut maybe 100 cords of pulp and a little fire wood with it.  I'd always run it with the 50:1 jonsered oil.  Anyways, the dealer told me hes seen a few of these saws throw bearings where the older saws like the 630 and 670 never did and they ran those at 30 or 40:1.  So I now run my saws at 30:1 with the jonsered oil, they don't smoke or foul plugs so I'll just leave well enough alone.  I'm sure those synthetic oils are better like everyone says, I used to run synthetics in snowmobiles I had, sleds ran crisper,cleaner, and I never fouled plugs.
Too many irons in the fire

KiwiCharlie

Hi Quartlow,
Thanks for that, gives me something to go on.  I have found out Amsoil is imported here.  They bring in motor oils, so I would be surprised if they dont do the 2-stroke stuff as well.
Im like you - 50:1 sounds scary enough, never mind 80 or 100:1 ! :o :D  At 100:1, thats 2 teaspoons of oil to a litre of gas!  Yikes!  :o
Thanks again for the name.
Cheers
Charlie.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
years ago while working in the bush i run  valvoline syn2 in all my saws never had a prob  no smoke ,clean plugs...that was at 100-1   run it in every thing 2 stroke i owned , stihl oil i found seemed to smoke a bit  even at 50-1  and i know my solo mistblower  hates it   ..even the normal valvoline  2 stroke oil seems to have a trend  of smokeing a bit  (25-1) but can be mixed out to 50-1   ....i think ya will find alot of race  bikes,go carts  and ski doo's run synthetic oils  got to be something in that  ;) even going to a  mid range  sports oil makes a big diffrence ..
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

rahtreelimbs

For the little money that it costs to run a good oil (say Mobil1 MXT2) at 32/1 vs. 50/1 or 100/1 is something that I just don't get!

I am using Maxim K2 and when that runs out MXT2. With the Maxim K2 at 32/1 I don't have a smoke problem.

But I do have the piece of mind that mysaws are getting the best that I can give them!!!

Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

minesmoria

I have a husky chainsaw and stihl trimmer which says to use 50/1

100/1 seems way to lean to me it will be getting almost no oil lube at all thats not good.

KiwiCharlie

But thats the whole point of these fully synthetic mixes.  The ingredients in them (for want of a better term) must be superior to the normal oils which in turn means you dont need as much to do the same job.  At 100:1 it cant be lean or the saw would seize.  I see people seem to mix some of them at 80:1 (maybe for added peace of mind), but the stats do seem to show that these oils can be used at 100:1 alright.
The only area that would concern me more, would be the older saws, which I would want to mix it with a bit more oil, just for my peace of mind! :D
Cheers
Charlie.

JD_Kid

Hi ya Kiwi
ya rase a good point about older saws  but is it a case of the saws getting better or the oils ?? my 3 dolmars  all run a diffrent mix  20-1 25-1 and 32-1  all run OK on fully synthetic mixes but get a older type oil  say run 20-1 in a 32-1  they play up a bit ...it's a case of what ever rocks ya boat in oils
catch  ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

KiwiCharlie

Hi JD,
I wonder if the materials (or quality of) they made the saws from back then (like piston n cylinder obviously) require more oil.  Thats where Im coming from, but I could be talking out my rear!  I would rather err on the side of caution, initially anyway! :D
Cheers
Charlie.

Lobo

I run Amsoil 100:1 premix @ 80:1 in my saws only becuse they rev higher and work harder than all of my other 2 cycle equipment. All the rest normally gets a mix ratio of 100:1

minesmoria

My dealer said that castrol is the best it has the least ash.

Thank You Sponsors!