iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buzz's sawmill and some sweet gum

Started by Buzz-sawyer, February 21, 2005, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Well I am stoked about using my new digi camera! So I thought I would show ya some pics of my mill , shed, and some knarly old Gum I have had sitting a while to stipple.
I was planning on using this wood on a job replacing roofing decking........but...it looks kinda neat I hold onto this stuff ...if It isnt given or sold to crazed wood workers....

Heres how my mill sits.

This is an ugly old gum I cut today

THis is a look at the carriage from outside

This is a special item , a custom made Buzz Sawyer cant hook...SOLID STEEL

This is the inside of that ugly log....

Wearing out the off bearer

Concrete piers that the mill sets on

Heres the big wheel...any guesses on the hydraulic reservoirs former job

A different style grain in the stipple

A shot of the drive drum and a winch I designed to set under rails for turning the 30" logs

Some of the planks and 8/4 we cut today

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Brings back memories, Buzz. Good job in the whole pitcher thingy. 8) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

Thanks Buzz

You know how we love looking at pictures of other mills  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Paul_H

Hey,I'm glad you got the camera Buzz,and I hope to see more of your mill setup. 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Hydraulic tank looks like a party keg to me. :D  That's a good idea for one.

I like sweet gum.  It's pretty. 

That sawblade doesn't look like it has inserted teeth.  Tell me I'm wwrong...... please. :D

Buzz-sawyer

Tom
I thought about you several times today while sawing, after seeing your appreciation of gum in one of your posts.
I had an imaginary conversation...and you convinced me to keep some of the stipple for projects...you thought it looked pretty good :D :D
The blade is an insert.....with almost new chrome teeth...they cut those 2 16# nails today pretty well, and I was still cutting an hour latter.......BUT looks like a few teeth lost a 1/16th in the process ::) ::)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

Yee Hi-i-i !   A convert in the making.   :D  let me know what you think later when you put it into a project. :)

tnlogger

shore am glad ya got that camera always have liked a circle mill .
nice clear pics
gene

Buzz-sawyer

Well, Tom when my OFF BEARER saw the stippled gum....She had to have it so I gave a bunch to her for a project....here is some of her work when she was 13!!!!
My daughter's work...a dove tail box

and a nice bench

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Tell yer Daughter, That's some fine lookin woodwork. 8) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

Great pics Buzz , nice boards,sawmill,sawmill shed and furniture too ! Someday if you get time maybe you show us how you do that beveled siding trick I cant figure out   ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Thanks for the picture tour Buzz, nothing I enjoy more than seeing a sawmill. :)

OneWithWood

Nice pics, Buzz.  I like your set up.  thanks.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TN_man

Thanks for the pics, Buzz!
Are you a preacher or something? Just wondering,based on the picture there. ::)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Buzz-sawyer

TN
I went to bible college in 1983 and have been ordained ....and travel in ministry..........
But what picture??? The "holey" lumber...  :D :D :D
I am a rather NON traditional preacher...what ya see is what ya get....And if I aint got good news .........then I would rather sit down and shut up. 8) 8) 8) (Probably a good trait in a preacher :D)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

rebocardo

I don't see why so many people consider sweet gum trash wood, now that I have a small mill, you can bet a lot more of it is going to be made into lumber instead of cheap firewood :-)

That is a nice mill set up. That gum looks sweet.  ;)  I have always liked the look of the darker brown stuff and the white with black type "crazing" that almost looks like it rotted. It is amazing how light gum is when dried when compared to when it is just cut.

sigidi

Wow that is a great sawshed Buzz.

Is that at home on your land or way from home? It would be great to go off into some trees like that and have some quality time with my mill, but I'm milling in the front yard, out in the open, in the heat and rain - so the missus gets cranky if the mill and I spend too much time together ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

D._Frederick

buzz,

Tell me about your log turner, I see a lot of shafts and gears that don't go anywhere. Are you pulling down on the log from below the headblocks and rolling against them?

I see that you are still sawing with only 2 Vee belts, how long are they going to last?

Corley5

8) 8)  Pics  What's your power plant ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Buzz-sawyer

SIGIDI
You are looking at the mill IN my front yard...I took that pic about half way between my house and the mill....here is a pic of the stream that flows below the mill and the field beyond it.

D Frederick
The gears drive a cable winch that runs as you describe...its outta the way under the rails...I had a friend with a rig mounted over head and I didnt care for it, or the stress on the rarters!
As far as the belts they are holdin up great, I keep em tight, I would have bought  another if I wasnt concerned about buying a matched set ,

Corley
Its a BUDA diesel... 1600 rpm , its a champ ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Daren

I like sweet gum lumber too, box the heart and some people go nuts for it. I get 4x for the "fire gum"  than I pay for the log, the rest is gravy. For a manual bandmill like mine it is alot of work though with the log taper. You haul in a 1200lb log and haul out 300lbs of cut off after you square the log. The worst part is the chunky bark, it can really hide rocks, nails... bandmill blade killers. It's not going to stop me from sawing all of it I can get.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TN_man

Buzz,
I was refering to the picture with your profile.
I also went to a 4 yr Bible college.
Have a good day 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Buzz-sawyer

Today I am going to cut some more stippled sweet gum.
I hate to do it but I think I am going to cut it into construction lumber.
Well, I wil probably pull out any REALLY nice stuff.
Problem is I think everything is nice, almost :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

Buzz,  Did you set your mill up or has it always been there ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!