iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for a fuel tank...

Started by Captain, February 21, 2005, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Hey folks,

With the recent purchase of  another diesel piece of equipment, that will likely be out on rental 2-3 days a week this spring, I am scheming a fuel tank to put in the back of the pickup.  The "ideal" tank would hold about 30 gallons.  I am looking to get some sort of metal cylinder, similar to an air compressor tank, that I can make into the fuel tank.  I want to weld a fill and vent on the top, and an outlet for a hose on the bottom, the unit will gravity feed.

Any ideas where I can get a tank to start my fabrication??  Course, then I gotta worry about the DOT....

Captain

Quartlow

I'm thinking semi fuel tank, some of them are small around 75 gallons, and is DOT approved all ready

Brother uses a 175 gallon square one for fueling equipment in the field
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

WV_hillbilly

I think I would just go to Tractor Supply and get one of their aluminum diamond plate fuel tanks . They have them in different sizes . That way you would also have the Dot problem taken care of too .
Hillbilly

Ed_K

Captain,
Northern Hydro's has a fuel tank called a gas caddy, 28gal.
plus a bunch of other tanks also.
Ed K

Haytrader

I know it is bigger than what you said you wanted, but out here in "poor mans country" a 100 to 120 gallon fuel tank sells for $10 to $20 at farm auctions . I had one leaking and replaced it for $10. That was cheaper than spending the time to fix the other one. I bought one a year ago that had a 12 volt transfer pump and 12 ft. hose w/nozzle in it w/filter for $25.
Haytrader

Rockn H

You may want to check with a local oil company ,one that supplies gas and diesle to gas stations.  The ones around here will provide diesle tanks either stationary or portable if you buy your diesel from them often at a discount.

Tom

Welcome Rockn H

Where's "around here"?  :)

Brian_Rhoad

Make sure the tank is DOT approved. Most of the tanks sold by TSC aren't. 55 gallon drums are DOT approved if they have numbers stamped in the bottom. I think you can get smaller drums also.

Rockn H

Tom thanks for the welcome.  This is a great site yall have.
The location is south east Arkansas.  And to clear up my post the tanks are free as long as you buy diesel and the fuel is discounted.

WH_Conley

Here in Eastern Kentucky a few years ago oil companies stopped providing tanks, tried to sell what they had to customers, came around and painted them all, no names on em any more, if ya had a leak I figure they probably deny owning them.
Bill

Captain

Well thanks to Quartlow's idea, I located a saddle tank today from an isuzu NPR.

Now I'm learning about DOT permits :P

They are issued by the local FD and I know somebody there ;) (me)

Now I gotta work out a pump, law here in MA says no gravity feed.

Captain

Paul_H

What ever you do don't defy any gravity laws.They are universal and strictly enforced. 
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

No Gravity feed?  we'd have been in big trouble in Sparks, Georgia when I was about 14.  I went home from school with a friend of mine and he had and old 30's Ford in the corn crib.  It didn't have a fuel pump .......or much of anything else.  We were wa-a-a-ay off in the woods/farms and the biggest town, Sparks, had maybe 100 people.  We wanted to go riding and sight-seeing, so we got the old car out.  We got a can of gasoline and put in the car.  Then we put some of it in a Coke bottle.  We took turns driving.  The one that wasn't driving sat on the fender with his feet in the motor compartment and dribbled gasolline into the carburator.  The more that he dribbled, the faster the car would go.  It would get pretty exciting from time to time. :D   The driver was actually "The Aimer".  ;D

Ah-h-h-h   Youth!    It's a wonder we made it to adult hood.   Good thing the Government's got all those Child Protective Services now. Kids can't do dumb stuff anymore. :D :D :D :D

WH_Conley

Tom, I think that's lack of imagination. We had it back then, it was all we did have.
Bill

Ga_Boy

Tom,

I did something like that once.  This was way back in 1980-81.  Me and my buddy was comming back from Stone Mountian on a Sunday afternoon in his 74 Chevell SS.  We were just about to I-285 when the fuel pump died.

That did not bother us much, we pulled out a 5 gallon can, put in a piece of 3/4" heater hose we always kept with us in casee we ran out of gas.  In the end of the heater hose we put in pieces of smaller hose we cut from non essiential systems to reduce the hose down to wind shield wahser hose size.

We got a flow going, I sat in the passenger seat holding that 5 gallon can of gas and away we went.

When we needed to pass some one I would blow on the vent hole and that car would jump up and run like my buddy kicked in the back jets on the quadrajet.  8) 8) 8)

What a ride home we had that day, we both smelled like gas.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Varmintmist

I think TSC has the truck toolbox/fuel tanks. If not they are made. We used one on a tool truck for years (many moons ago). It was right at 40 gal.

A hand crank pump will run you 45 bucks at TSC. I put one on my home heating oil tank to run fuel to my tractor.

Larry

When Grandpa homesteaded in Colorado he had a model "T".  According to Dad who was quite young at the time, when they went through a mountain pass road they would have to go backwards.  Gravity fed gas and the tank was under the front seat.  Dad said on some of the steep roads it was only one lane and 1,000' down if ya made a mistake...so grandma directed grandpa on which way to turn the steering wheel.  I thought it funny...back seat driver? ???

And not to get to far off topic I had one of those hand crank things...worked good and if I remember right think it had a big fuel filter built in.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rebocardo

While I worked in MA I bought a 12V pump, handle, and hose (with the metal wire for static) from NAPA to refuel diesels. Because of liability of carrying a tank near a wetlands area, we use to only do it from tractor to tractor. It worked great.

Do get a DOT tank to avoid huge lawsuits over 1 gallon of spilled fuel. I know on I-93 because of that truck that spilled thousands of gallons of fuel into the wet lands near Reading/Wilmington MA they use to stop any kind of truck to check for DOT violations.

If they found one violation (lamp out etc.), then they would call for scales and weigh any type of truck if the scales were not in their car trunk already. Point being, one obvious minor violation could result in a $1000 fine easily. If your tank is not DOT approved for the type of fuel, they call Green Harbors to come empty it before they tow your truck and you are basically looking at a $10-$20k bill you have to fight in court.

I would look at a set up where I could get a pump and handle, plus, put a filter before the pump or pump handle.

Quartlow

Quote from: Captain on February 22, 2005, 04:21:42 PM
Well thanks to Quartlow's idea, I located a saddle tank today from an isuzu NPR.

Captain

Glad to be of service!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

redpowerd

were do you go to browse endless isles of used road tractor tanks? ive been wondering what to use for a transfer tank for keeping in the feild on my flatbed. a pair of 50 gallon tanks would be ideal. mabie something that could be mounted UNDER the bed.
thanks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Captain

Hey Red, I may be able to scrounge a second for ya ;)

Captain

redpowerd

got a pic? does it saddle over the frame?
thanks, cap'n
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

rbarshaw

Fuel pump went out on an old stationwagon I had once, about 25 miles from the house where the spare pump was, I got a 5 gal. can of gas and some rubber fuel line, tied the can to the roof rack and started a siphon going and hooked the other end to the fuel inlet on the carb. and drove it home, worked fine, altho 45 was top speed.  :D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

james

redpowered
most larger towns will have a wrecking yard for big trucks check the phone book for the nearest one 10,000 people or more, or call around the local wrecking yards should be able to steer you in the right direction
james :P

Thank You Sponsors!