iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding board feet

Started by palmerstreeservice, February 21, 2005, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmerstreeservice

Can somebody educate me.... is there a fast way to find board feet on a log, and or a standing tree.  I'm guessing on a standing tree I will need to find the diameter, but I can handle that. 

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

footer

You can get a log scaling stick and take it with you. You can get one with a tree scale on one side and log scale on the other.
http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm  Look under "log / lumber grading tools"
With the tree scale, you can hold it up to the tree at arms lenth from your head and read the diameter. Then look at the scale and based on how many 16 foot sections you have, you can read the board feet. You can also measure the tree height with it.

rebocardo

I have seen those in the Bailey's catalog and wondered exactly how they were used, now I know :-)

footer

Here is a link to show how to use one. They are not perfectly acurate, but they work.http://www.tree-tech.com/reports/biltmore_stick.xhtml

Phorester

Kyle, if you email me from my profile and leave me your regular mailing address, I can send you a small pocket size tree/log scale I have.  It's in International 1/4 inch scale.

maple flats

The easiest way do guestimate board feet is by using a cruising stick (also known as a log scale stick) The most accurate in my experience is International 1/4" scale, if you are buying or scaling for your own sawing. Other scales are Scribner and Doyle. I'm not familiar with Scribner but doyle is often used by loggers buying logs as is scales lower unless the logs are rather large diameter. These can be purchased at most loggers shows/woodsmens shows or on line. If you have a problem finding one email me and I can get you specifics. Once you get one (and yes there is a wide range of prices, but all will work fine if the measuring diameter range fits your needs, i.e. 32", 36", 42" etc. for the largest diameter tree or log you will encounter).  A good way to learn to use it can be self taught. Simply take time to read the stick and practice. If you are measuring a log hold the stick up to the SMALL end and determine the diameter inside the bark, if you have an oval log use the average of the diameter, next look at the log length on the chart(on the stick) and read the # of board feet. Another use is to find the VF of standing timber. M<easure the diameter at breast height (or 4 1/2' above ground) by using the side of the stick that has inches marked that are smaller than actual. This is done by holding the stick horizontally at arm's length (the specific distance is printed on the stick, practice, practice) and read the tree's diameter. Next stand 66 feet back from the tree and holding the stick horizontally another scale on the stick will tell you how many 16' logs it contains (starting at stump height and up as far as you think you would be cutting the log into saw logs). Then read a chart on the stick to find board feet for the entire tree (in usable sawlogs). Hope I have not scared you away, it is really much easier than it is to describe. Just keep practicing and you will eventually get very accurate. If you do the entire tree I used to compare the answer after felling the tree for comparison, a little practice and it gets quite easy.
maple flats
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom

Welcome to the Forum, Maple Flats.

Didn't take but a week for you to post.  That's good .....wish more would jump right in like that. :)

It makes the room warmer wihen everybody talks, don't you think?   :D

maple flats

Did't reply earlier for 2 reasons, I've been working the woods before the ground turns to mush as my woods are undulating lowlands and secondly, I didn't see anything earlier that I knew about.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom

I'll bet we have guys that get on here and don't post for years. :D

How 'bout some pictures of your undulating woodlands. :)

Cedarman

maple flats,  If I and some others waited until we knew something there would be a lot less posts and a lot fewer laughs and we wouldn't know as much about each other. 8) 8) 8) 8)
We want to help each other and build each other up, so now that your feet's wet, get in a little deeper.
You made a great post.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

maple flats

I'll get some pictures sometime and post, the early ones might center around my maple syrup operation, which should start going soon. Just waiting for the right weather, freezing nights and warm days. Lately we have had the freezing nights but also had freezing days, no sap flow but this did give me time to saw some hemlock and install a new floor in the sugarhouse, about 400 sf with the evaporator resting on footings 4' down and laid blocks supporting the floor joists. My new Peterson really did a fine job for someone with no sawmill experience. The hemlock was air/snow dried about 5-7 days, does this qualify as seasoned?

Rockn H

This is a few days late but a Biltmore stick sounds like what you need.  I made my own for free.  Only words of advice would be dont use a sharpy to write with use a regular fine tip ink pen, so you can clear coat it and it want fuzz the numbers.  I'll post some links on how to make and use a Biltmore stick. ;)

SwampDonkey

maple flats,

I suppose that hemlock would air dry if the wood wasn't frozen. Water won't free up from the wood when it's froze, well maybe on the surface of a sun and wind exposed face. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

1953greg

what happened to the calculators that used to be in the left margin?
good day    greg

Furby

Reply #1 at the top of this page, Jeff's link. ;)

bighoss550

i use to use that toolbox daily until it dissapeared!!!:)  where did it go?  i learned more about how to cut log length for footage from that than ive ever been taught.

hey maple falts, did u get enuf sap today????? haha days like this remind us why we put all that work in the pipeline.....

Jeff

Quote from: bighoss550 on March 07, 2005, 09:06:37 PM
i use to use that toolbox daily until it dissapeared!!!:)  where did it go?  i learned more about how to cut log length for footage from that than ive ever been taught.

Give me some more time. Really have been pretty disabled for the last month. Getting stuff done has been taking me a lot longer then it should. I am working on getting all of our old tools back ASAP. :)

farmerdoug

Jeff, 

Take your time as things get done right that way.  We appreciate all of the work you have put into this even with your operation.  I think the changes are great especially the locations under the names.   ;) By the way how is the shoulder coming?   ???
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

I'm copying pretty much my answer when fsedy asked me that this morning.  :)

Now the other shoulder, repaired back in 89 is starting to give problems from being overworked I guess. I have to sleep on it, and I wake up in the morning feeling like both my arms are strapped to my side.  Takes a couple hours to get the one that I used to refer to as my bad shouder, which is now refered to as the good shoulder, loosened up enough to work on P.T. for the other shoulder, now referred to as the bad shoulder. :D

The good side is I am better then a week ago and much better then two weeks ago.  Thanks for the thoughts and for asking. 

Thank You Sponsors!